Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Customs have my wine

Options
  • 17-10-2013 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hello all, I recently bought a voucher for a wine deal (a case of 12 bottles) from one of the deal sites. All went well, I redeemed the voucher, wine arrived via UPS as well as a couple of vouchers from the wine supplier for discounts on future purchases. Decided to use one of these about 2 weeks ago and having checked the UPS tracking site this am discovered that my delivery had been 'signed for by customs', what happens now??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Customs will send you on a letter to inform you how much duty etc has to be paid for it to be released. If no duty is required they will just send it on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Thanks jonny for the quick reply, any idea how long that might take?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

acermaple wrote: »
    Thanks jonny for the quick reply, any idea how long that might take?

Well lets say they have signed for it on Monday, I would expect some form of delivery slip with letter from UPS by Friday TBH. Contact UPS and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Either that or they could be having a good drink. :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I presume this is one of the San Jamon deals on LivingSocial? I've bought several times and had no issue but........it seems rather dodgy to me. Given the prices being charged I'd be hugely surprised if SJ were paying the necessary duty and VAT (c. €4 a bottle). Note that excise is a special case - there is no facility for you to pay the taxes (to UPS or whoever) after the shipment has been held by Customs (like say, a camera). The taxes should be paid, in advance, by the sender. AFAIK standard practice is to destroy the shipment. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think SJ are paying the taxes (I'd welcome correction if I'm wrong) and I'm surprised LivingSocial are involved in this.

• Advertisement

Yes it is San Jamon , I have been reading the Revenue website and it looks as if you are correct, seems like I wont be seeing my wine anytime soon! I think living social were doing the original deal but I think I've seen it on Foffit as well, in this case I dont have any comeback with them as I was using a discount voucher on this occasion that I received with the original shipment from the supplier. I'm afraid a lot of people may be caught out as the UPS driver told me he'd been delivering wine all morning when I got my first delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Note that excise is a special case - there is no facility for you to pay the taxes (to UPS or whoever) after the shipment has been held by Customs (like say, a camera). The taxes should be paid, in advance, by the sender. AFAIK standard practice is to destroy the shipment.
    I have never heard of them destroying stuff. I know several people who had tobacco taken at customs and they were offered the option to pay the duty on it, they all opted to have it destroyed or sent back.

In the beer forum some guys have got stuff with no problems, but you are liable, even within the EU.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have never heard of them destroying stuff. I know several people who had tobacco taken at customs and they were offered the option to pay the duty on it, they all opted to have it destroyed or sent back.

No chance for the receiver to pay seems to be the "official line". Maybe they bend it in practice to get a few extra bob!

From the Revenue site:

'The necessary arrangements for payment of the excise duty and VAT (at the standard rate) in the State must be made by the trader who sells and delivers the products. These arrangements include registration for VAT in the State.

The Purchaser should be satisfied that the trader is compliant, as untaxed products are liable to seizure and confiscation.'

Can't see the trader agreeing to pay duty (I'm assuming they haven't or the goods wouldn't have been seized) and VAT-they have got their money from me already, so it looks like it's buyer beware. No mention of allowing me to pay the duty either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Advertisement

acermaple wrote: »
    From the Revenue site:

'The necessary arrangements for payment of the excise duty and VAT (at the standard rate) in the State must be made by the trader who sells and delivers the products. These arrangements include registration for VAT in the State.

The Purchaser should be satisfied that the trader is compliant, as untaxed products are liable to seizure and confiscation.'

Can't see the trader agreeing to pay duty (I'm assuming they haven't or the goods wouldn't have been seized) and VAT-they have got their money from me already, so it looks like it's buyer beware. No mention of allowing me to pay the duty either.

Let us know how you get on acermaple. As I said I've ordered from them several times so am interested!

Will do Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Sorry to hijack the thread, but am I right that anything imported for personal use from outside the EU is not subject to Duty? But VAT will still apply?
    Cheers

MajorMax wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but am I right that anything imported for personal use from outside the EU is not subject to Duty? But VAT will still apply?
    Cheers

Nope, duty applies AFAIK.

Just a quick update on my wine delivery. Shortly after last posting I received a registered letter from Customs. Short and sweet, one-liner, saying that they had seized my wine from Dublin Airport and quoting the relevant legislation,end of letter!
    I then wrote to the suppliers and received a very prompt reply, apologising for the mix up, saying there had been some miscommunication with the courier company and they were sending a fresh delivery to me with a different courier, the email concluded by saying '' I am sorry for the delay, you should receive your order shortly and you will not have to pay any excise duties or taxes. We sincerely apologies for this confusion.''

Well I duly waited, not really 100% sure that I would actually see my wine, and was needless to say delighted when the wine DID arrive by courier last Friday, well done San Jamon:) Just have to sit back and enjoy the wine now, hope customs are enjoying theirs!

Advertisement