Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTA dissappeared on my Sky

Options
  • 12-10-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Have an old white Sky box that we have been using for FTA television for the last few months. No phone line, and it hasn't missed a beat since we moved in 6 months ago.

The other day the missus was watching Four in a Bed, then the sky box lost connection somehow, and we have not been able to get it back. It keeps coming up with the blue screen that it cannot receive the signal, and then it states there is a fault, and that we should switch it off and on again (thoughts of the IT Crowd came to mind).

We did that, but no joy. Also tried some of the recommendations from google, also with no success. "Reset the LNB" option is not an available menu option on my box. Checked the back, reset all connections etc, but no good.

The actual satellite dish is clear from obstruction, but its pretty old and rusty, so maybe its a dish issue, not sure. We have no 'card' as such, it has been operating fine without using a card, until now. Have we been punished for watching too much Four In A Bed and Come Dine With Me?

If anyone has any suggestions I can try, I'd be a happy guy, especially if it works. We are renters, so there is not a whole lot we can do without the landlords permission, which would probably not be particularly favourable, since I don't think telly is on the list of mandatory items to be delivered to tenants....

Cheers,

Adrian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Would it be possible to test the box on a friend's or neighbours dish to rule out a problem with it?

The LNB on the dish arm could also be faulty or the dish could require adjustment. Can't think of anything else you can do right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

The same thing happened to me a while ago. I tried a FTA box in the same place and it was OK so definitely the Sky box at fault. I think I read something on here recently about forcing a software update on the Sky box - do a search and see if you can find it. I didn't try it because I'd already replaced the Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Forced software update - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-sky-tv/34361-how-do-system-software-update-all-sky-boxes.html

Warning note - "Do not attempt to do this if you have signal strength problems"

Check signal - http://www.simplytv.ie/faq#signalcheck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

adrianm68 wrote: »
    "Reset the LNB" option is not an available menu option on my box.

You won't find this option on any box, because there is no such thing as resetting an lnb.

You can power it off & on but there is nothing there that can be 'reset'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 adrianm68

Thanks for the replies. The signal test has no indicator under 'signal strength' or 'signal quality'. I guess no bars means no signal, something wrong between the Sky box and the dish. Dang. I might try adjusting the dish today, see if that helps.

Thanks all for the suggestions and links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You won't find this option on any box, because there is no such thing as resetting an lnb.

You can power it off & on but there is nothing there that can be 'reset'.

On the old non pvr sky boxes if you press services then 4 then 8 which brings us a system health check screen and if you let it run when it's finished it gives you an option to reset the Lnb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

adrianm68 wrote: »
    I might try adjusting the dish today, see if that helps.

Thanks all for the suggestions and links.

I wouldn't do that until you are 100% sure the box is OK. Once you move the dish you have no way of getting it back without a good box or expensive signal meters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

SPAWKER wrote: »
    On the old non pvr sky boxes if you press services then 4 then 8 which brings us a system health check screen and if you let it run when it's finished it gives you an option to reset the Lnb

Apparently, this is how the 'reset lnb' thing got started: http://www.satcure.co.uk/filter.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28 adrianm68

winston_1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that until you are 100% sure the box is OK. Once you move the dish you have no way of getting it back without a good box or expensive signal meters.

OK, so what else is there to do? Get the box over to the neighbors perhaps? A good idea, but a bit intrusive. Anything else now that the box has confirmed no signal? Can I replace the lnb (is that what those things receiving the signal at the focal point are called)? Are they expensive?

Advertisement