Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Mail?

• 10-10-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads, Im turning the big 18 saturday so as a result of my "freedom" im making an online account. Ive done some research and at the moment i'll either be making a Paddypower a/c, a bet365 a/c or a betfair a/c. What I want to know is do any of these bookies send out things in the post to you? The mammy wouldnt exactly approve if she saw that mail in the letter box :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

No, you can choose how to be contacted during the sign up process. I chose e-mail and text. Neither are annoying and you find out about everything. Have fun, don't spend it all in the one shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

dobman88 wrote: »
    No, you can choose how to be contacted during the sign up process. I chose e-mail and text. Neither are annoying and you find out about everything. Have fun, don't spend it all in the one shop :)

Thats perfect.Thanks :)

EDIT :What bookie would you reccomend out of the 3 i listed above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Hi lads, Im turning the big 18 saturday so as a result of my "freedom" im making an online account. Ive done some research and at the moment i'll either be making a Paddypower a/c, a bet365 a/c or a betfair a/c. What I want to know is do any of these bookies send out things in the post to you? The mammy wouldnt exactly approve if she saw that mail in the letter box :P

Have a look at a moneybookers/skrill account they are an online wallet that you can deposit to and then send money from there to bookmakers , it saves you having lots of transactions showing up on your credit card and/or bank statement.

Most bookmakers you can opt out of recieving mail, its a long time since I had a Bet365 account but i think (could be wrong) that they send you a postal pin to prove your home address which when you recieve it you enter it online, that was the case for me when I openned a bet365 which is about 5 years ago now so things may have changed.

Have a look at a moneybookers/skrill account they are an online wallet that you can deposit to and then send money from there to bookmakers , it saves you having lots of transactions showing up on your credit card and/or bank statement.

Most bookmakers you can opt out of recieving mail, its a long time since I had a Bet365 account but i think (could be wrong) that they send you a postal pin to prove your home address which when you recieve it you enter it online, that was the case for me when I openned a bet365 which is about 5 years ago now so things may have changed.

Im gonna get an 02 money card for the deposits/withdrawls. I'll use my college address just to be safe :P

Ok congrats on turning 18 and best of luck.

Thanks :) What bookie would you recommend for small stakes?

It depends what you want from a bookmaker.

Promotions - Money back specials etc - Paddypower , Boylesports
    Best odds overall - Pinnacle

If I was starting out and betting for fun I'd join WilliamHill they are the best for fun bets and you get money back as a freebet if your first goalscorer scores the 2nd goal in a match . Also if you bet on correct score and its 0-0 you get freebet refund aswell.
    They are a good all round book and have nice offers from time to time.

Might give William hill a go so. Cheers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Might give William hill a go so. Cheers :)

Piece of advice, stay away from William Hill, they screwed me on a bet before and there customer service is the worst i have ever seen.
    My advice try Pinnacle or Betfair, no horse racing on Pinnacle just sports, everything on Betfair.

Stay away from William Hill, they are primarily an English bookie, go with either Paddy Power or Boyles. Good promotions and easy to get to in case you have a problem, Hill's not so much, their customer service is shocking bad.

You said you were going to use your college address. Make sure the address you give matches the address on the card because if it doesn't they will close your account. They can check it all online now by going through the bank. I don't live at home anymore but my bookie acc says I do ;)

Also, stay away from Betfair and Bet365 until you get a bit more experience. Maybe it was just me but I didn't like those sites. Found Paddy Power and Boyles easier to navigate.

Once you do sign up, if it's with Paddy Power, go into a shop with you ID and acc name and get a card off them. That means you can deposit and withdraw over the counter and nothing shows up on your bank account. If you want to use a card, even for withdrawals,you will have to "verify" your acc but they will tell you who to e-mail in the shop.

Any more questions, just ask. Gambling is a lot of fun once you do it for fun and within your means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 LoicRemy

When I started I went with paddy power, then went with skybet and I now bet with bet365

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Dont do it dude..............worst investment you will ever make

Ah don't be scaring him with betting horror stories. Like I said gambling is fun when it is for fun and with what you can afford.

I wont be doing large stakes, I'll deposit 10 a week :P

Fair play to you, me and my boss do that for a bit of craic. Deposit 10euro on payday and see where it goes that week. Usually we start with football bets and if we have a winner we just take out the few eur we have won or have a gamble on something else. We never usually have money in there the following payday haha. Good craic though and something to chat about :)

More or less the same as I'll be doing.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

If I was starting out and betting for fun I'd join WilliamHill they are the best for fun bets and you get money back as a freebet if your first goalscorer scores the 2nd goal in a match . Also if you bet on correct score and its 0-0 you get freebet refund aswell.
    They are a good all round book and have nice offers from time to time

Be careful
    FREE bet = NO stake refund!
    Ladbrokes, Bet Victor & Betfred do the same.
    Only Boyles and Paddy Power give a full CASH refund.
    There is a massive difference between the 2.

Personal Choice:
    I'd go with Bet365, PP, Betfred & Sky Bet.
    I'd stay away from Ladbrokes & Boyles.
    Rest take them or leave them.
    Use oddschecker to see who has the best odds.
    Best Free deposit bonus 365, followed by PP.
    Betfair is good if you are just backing selections and not laying.

Any promotional codes for PaddyPower lying around?

You don't get codes, they have offers in the shop like double odds on 1st goal scorer if he scores twice or money back if united win. Stuff like that, keep an eye on their website and your e-mail when you sign up. If you are depositing to their poker room, they will give you a deposit bonus automatically but you have to earn it before they give it to you, it is hard enough to earn, not really worth it unless you know what you are doing and willing to invest time and money in it.

Be careful
    FREE bet = NO stake refund!
    Ladbrokes, Bet Victor & Betfred do the same.
    Only Boyles and Paddy Power give a full CASH refund.
    There is a massive difference between the 2.

Personal Choice:
    I'd go with Bet365, PP, Betfred & Sky Bet.
    I'd stay away from Ladbrokes & Boyles.
    Rest take them or leave them.
    Use oddschecker to see who has the best odds.
    Best Free deposit bonus 365, followed by PP.
    Betfair is good if you are just backing selections and not laying.

Freebets are ok worth about 80% of a cash refund.

Why is Betfair ok if your not laying? Same thing laying a 2/1 same as backing a 1/2 laying 10/1 you are just backing a 1/10

Or simply to get back odds from lay odds BACK=LAY/(LAY-1)
    Dont be afraid of laying can often get better odds laying instead of backing

so lay odds of 5(decimal)
    Back odds = 5/(5-1)=1.25

Piece of advice, stay away from William Hill, they screwed me on a bet before and there customer service is the worst i have ever seen.
    My advice try Pinnacle or Betfair, no horse racing on Pinnacle just sports, everything on Betfair.

Turn over a few hundred bets a week at Hills and never been screwed on a bet in 5 years there. Be suprised if they screwed you on a genuine bet and not an obvious palp.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Thanks :) What bookie would you recommend for small stakes?

If i were you I'd go with 365 because they do one thing all
    the others dont and that is a free 50 matched bet on maybe
    5/6 footie matches a year
    last match was manu chelsea
    I know you are only planning on going small but when you can
    bet 50 of your own on a certaintly like under 5 second half goals at
    around 1/80 and then get a free 50 in play then its surely worth and
    no other bookie will give you even one free 50 bet all year other
    than for opening a new account

Went with PaddyPower in the end. Got a cash card as it was handiest. Got a free 10er bet from them today :P

Hi lads, sorry to bring up an old thread.

Was thinking of signing up for bet365 and was wondering what kind of verification do they require?