Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't love it, nor do I hate it. Just think it's okay. I'm not a milkshake kinda person though so that could be partially the reason I'm not fussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

the one in arklow gives you any burger, fries and a drink for 2 plus 2 cinema tickets for €16. thats a good deal in my book

That's amazing. I am jelly.
    Eating at Eddie Rockets is the same as playing the lotto, a tax on idiots.

Your post is taxing on logic.
    Corholio wrote: »
    The prices of stuff in there is extortionate to be honest. Burgers for 6 or 7 euro. Chips small in portion size. Your paying for the fact that you're pretending to be in the 60's.

lol. The 50's.
    God I love Eddie Rockets.

Chicken wings to start. Tried Elephant ans Castle once and it was the worst meal I've ever paid for.

Chocolate malt......taste sensation.

M50 or a Smokestack.....oh ye.

Regulate fries or possibly garlic and cheese depending on the mood.

If I feel like treating myself for lunch their Club Sandwich is great.

It's not cheap but for 3euros more it's better than any other fast food joint. You won't be hungry in an hour after Eddie Rockets.

Club sandwich is gone? Gone in any Eddie's I have been to in a year or so.
    Personally I just think eddie rockets is too expensive to be going there all the time. Two people can easily drop 50 euro there.

If I am out and about and fancy food. I'd sooner goto burger king or what not.

Two sumo wrestlers maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Like eddie rockets, I know you pay more for their food but its better quality stuff.
    But, the owner of two of them hires some staff that dont have a work permit, thats just pure greed.
    Wont be going back there.

http://www.herald.ie/news/in-brief-diner-boss-on-permit-charges-3171489.html

THE operator of two Eddie Rockets diners is being prosecuted for employing foreign nationals without valid work permits.

The case was listed before Judge John O'Neill at the Dublin District Court.

Grattan Park Limited, trading as Eddie Rockets, is being prosecuted by the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.

Judge O'Neill granted an adjournment until a date in October; pleas to the charges have not yet been entered by the defendant company.

The food company faces seven counts relating to employment of three non-nationals at two of the 1950s- themed American style diners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ive rarely been there...

But when I have ive loved it really :O

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Good shill Eddie :pac:

I do like empty pockets alright, but was in there a few weeks ago, and ordered somethin i didnt know, ended up with a bowl of mince, a bag of doritos and a big plate of disappointment, it was shite :mad:

I'd say that was their chilli and grated cheese with dry cracker's.NOM NOM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Empty Pockets - wouldn't set foot in the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I'm surprised any faux-American diner in Ireland could ever be considered a rip-off of another faux-American diner in Ireland.

Sarcasm aside, it's even better than that:

Eddie Rockets is based upon Johnny Rockets from the States. Johnny Rockets(which have 320 restaurants nationwide and began building restaurants roughly 3 years before Eddie Rockets) is in tern based upon the typical 1940's and 1950's American diner, and in particular, the Apple Pan which has been in Los Angeles, California since 1947.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eddie-Rocket%27s-Ennis,-co.-Clare.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SixFlags-JohnnyRockets-4095.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apple_Pan

As an American, I find the food to be just slightly stylized, but fairly accurate to 50's style American diner food - which is pretty much a food and style staple in the States. It never really died. The only things on the menu that I would say are distinctly American, and I have not yet found a counterpart elsewhere in Ireland, are the shakes and the hotdogs. While the food may be agreeable, the costs are not. The whole reasoning behind an American diner is that it is cheap, fast food. Even Johnny Rockets is about half what Eddies costs. But in Ireland we're paying for the relatively rare atmosphere, if not rarefied food.

Having said this, I must admit I will pop in for some comfort food. There it is easy to pretend on my visits to Ireland that I am back home, if only for a meal. Immediately thereafter, I am once again sick of American culture and rebel and go to pub and start a fight. Lord knows I'll have plenty of energy for it in my gut.

Brokentime wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone agrees with me on this, but I think that all Subway shops have a bad smell in them. It's some foodstuff, obviously, but just a manky smell overall. Been in Subway in Dublin, Chicago, Shanghai... etc etc.... same smell everywhere.

I always assumed the smell was from the onion and garlic on the bread baking mixed with the raw yeast aroma. But, yeah, I know what ya mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Unwillingly ate in Eddie's a few days ago, stopped many years ago as it just went downhill. Didn't even know about the new menu until I was there.

3 People.

3 Burgers

Couple of starters

1 Chile fries
    1 Normal fries.

Burgers were wafer thin, overcooked, it was like chewing sand. Bun was fresh as was lettuce the presence of the meat ruined it.

Fries - completely oversalted, difficult to eat.

Chile fries - Just when you thought the fries couldn't be any saltier - add the outrageously salty chile. Awful.

Good points

Shakes were delicious.

Starters were really good, quesadillas with guacomole worth a return trip alone.

Deep fried mushrooms and garlic sauce a close second.

Really pity about the meat and the fries. 45 euro for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I wonder if some of the branches are just sh1t!

My biggest plus for Eddies is the fact the meat in the burgers is a reasonable slab or actual mice rather than just a crappie flat pattie!

I love the stuff on the chips too (paprica?).

The ones I frequent the most are on Parnell St and O'Connell St.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

noodler wrote: »
    I wonder if some of the branches are just sh1t!

My biggest plus for Eddies is the fact the meat in the burgers is a reasonable slab or actual mice rather than just a crappie flat pattie!

I love the stuff on the chips too (paprica?).

The ones I frequent the most are on Parnell St and O'Connell St.

I think they are. I frequent the Bray branch and a few weeks ago went to the one on O'Connell street.

I was absolutely atrocious. The burger was crap and small in comparison to Bray. I was so pissed off I complained to the manager, took a photo of the burger and emailed them. Never heard anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Very tempted to go again was there Monday!

Someone was having 4 of those mini burgers with fries. Seemed to have cheese on them, anything else on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

First time I ate in Eddie Rockets I picked up what I presumed was the salt shaker on the table and put it on my chips... Sugary chips don't taste nice :(

The oreo shake and secret sauce made up for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think they are. I frequent the Bray branch and a few weeks ago went to the one on O'Connell street.

I was absolutely atrocious. The burger was crap and small in comparison to Bray. I was so pissed off I complained to the manager, took a photo of the burger and emailed them. Never heard anything back.

I actually have never had a problem in O'Connell St.

Last time I was there was April and I say at the counter and watched the burger being made (what I would call) reasonable slabs of mince being thrown on the grill thing.

Maybe they made the burgers smaller since they introduced the combo meal? I can't say I have noticed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

VEN wrote: »
    Empty Pockets - wouldn't set foot in the place

Noted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Reindeer wrote: »
    I always assumed the smell was from the onion and garlic on the bread baking mixed with the raw yeast aroma. But, yeah, I know what ya mean.

It's a fecking awful smell and I've never gone into a Subway because of it.

Confab wrote: »
    It's a fecking awful smell and I've never gone into a Subway because of it.

Here's a few stabs at it, not to derail the thread:

http://www.chow.com/food-news/86822/why-do-subway-restaurants-smell-awful/

Some folks say it could be the meat being unpacked. The only problem I have with this theory is they aren't unpacking meat all day. However if they are using meat made at plants in the US, the FDA does allow a certain amount of ammonia(or whatever it is they use) to sterilize processed meats. And when you open up some packs of sandwich meat in the States, the initial whiff can be brutal, even when 'fresh'. And they do have that cheap meat-like stuff sitting around all day behind the glass... so they may have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Firstly, if you consider them to be small portions you must be one fat dude. Secondly the food there is savage, it's also got a cool retro vibe which is slick.
    Thirdly the new shakes from the shake shop are the nicest thing I have ever drank.

Eddy Rockets all the way. Advertising pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I always hated eddie rockets. I actually prefer the burger in burger king. The only reason I've ever gone to Eddie Rockets is because a girl has dragged me. The burgers are dry over priced bits of seared meat in a stale bun. The hotdogs are not much better. The only thing that appears to be nice there is the mlkshakes.
    We were working late one day and work said they'd pay for takeaway. So we ordered from there and sent up someone to collect them. My BLTC (Bacon lettuce tomato & cheese) had no bacon. It was two pieces of toasted bread with limp lettuce and some cheese and tomato.

I don't care how much a girl whinges at me, I'm never going back to that place.

These places have far better burgers.
    http://www.gourmetburgercompany.ie/

And strangly enough, although I've only been there twice so I haven't got a huge amount of experience with them, thunder road has great burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The portions are very big, OP. If you got the wings, for example, there's no way you'd be wanting more wings unless you haven't eaten in days. You get a good-sized portion of chips too and the hot dogs are huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Any Eddie Rockets Ive been in are filthy and the food is sh**e and always cold aswell. I would say the same for KFC and Pizzahut all overpriced and rotten and dont even get me started on Abrakebabra what a f**king dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Have they all closed in Ireland now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

A bit weird to bring this back up but no they're all still open and some even deliver now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Lolwut?

I once asked out one of their Eastern European waitresses and she said Yes :D

2 months later we broke up. She was a bleedin' loo la :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just seen that the Cork diners seem to be named Rockin Joes now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Just seen that the Cork diners seem to be named Rockin Joes now

what about the one in blackpool? is that still there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Overpriced, messy, small portions...

Why on Earth does anyone eat there?

:mad:

They are forced to at gunpoint just to annoy you... really;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

Changed name to Rockin' Joes all over the country.
    Dunno why.

Advertisement