Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 50 Irish Links (Golfing Weekly)

Options
  • 30-09-2013 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭

I put up a thread before about this, linking to the survey form to rank Ireland's top 50 links/seaside courses. The results are now in. Here's a link to the digital version, so go to page 68 if you're interested.

http://digital.golfingweekly.ie/i/182058

I have only one word to say about the list:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha - plonk!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

I put up a thread before about this, linking to the survey form to rank Ireland's top 50 links/seaside courses. The results are now in. Here's a link to the digital version, so go to page 68 if you're interested.

Very credible article, naught, I loved to know how much certain clubs pay to get such high ratings, also gotta love the inclusion of the "old head", Epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

The list is a joke, when i saw Strandhill in the high 40's that said enough.
    Think the list should be titled the top 50 links course that the average golfer may have played.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Waterville 15th. I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

On the flip side, I have no problem seeing Tralee and Lahinch number 2 and 3, you couldn't say they aren't good enough.

Some awful nonsense in it though.

I'd love a system of ranking courses through categorys, like Michelin stars.

Category A B and C, or something similar.

Because these lists are so subjective and are really harsh on some courses who could do with the money, and are quality courses but are without the prestige or buzz.

Category A might stretch to quality links courses like Rosslare, that are excellent courses, and greater value to play, a classic links course on amazing links land, nobody would complain after 18 holes on these type of courses,

Even more im portant are the number of parkland course that have nothing between them in terms of quality, but could be miles apart in rankings.

Is Castlemnock not a Cat A parkland course, Glasson, Esker hills etc They are well down the rankings.

Is Carlow that much better a course than them?

Macreddin would be a Cat A course, not on the top 100 list list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

RCD 12th?
    Portrush 8th?

I was more interested in reading about Galgorm (page 64).......it's a nice course that is not well known.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Read the first page and can somewhat agree with the following line.

The great Newcastle links (RCD) comes in at No 12 in our survey, possibly because its global repuation and exclusivity means that many Irish golfers never get to enjoy its undoubtable pleasures

In fairness RCD is £185 in the week and although £50 in the winter when its blowing a gale and playing off mats I dont really fancy it. So the above statement I can see a point but No 12 is off the mark.

Then I turn the page and see Corballis rated above Strandhill.. WTF! How is Bundoran rated as no. 30, such a bland links course.. Waterville at 15..

Really this list is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

In fairness RCD is £185 in the week and although £50 in the winter when its blowing a gale and playing off mats I dont really fancy it. So the above statement I can see a point but No 12 is off the mark.

The big thing is that if you took part in the survey, then the problem was ranking courses you haven't played, or not ranking them at all. It was confusing to say the least and the survey is undoubtedly not meant to be taken too seriously... at least I hope it's not!

As for RCD and the £50 - you don't use mats at RCD and that's one of the joys of RCD in the winter. Just wait for the weather forecast to look good and then book - best 50 quid you'll spend!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Read the first page and can somewhat agree with the following line.

The great Newcastle links (RCD) comes in at No 12 in our survey, possibly because its global repuation and exclusivity means that many Irish golfers never get to enjoy its undoubtable pleasures

Then I turn the page and see Corballis rated above Strandhill.. WTF! How is Bundoran rated as no. 30, such a bland links course.. Waterville at 15..

Really this list is pointless

This doesn't make sense when you see how high the European is, with a similarly exorbitant green fee.

Someone else has already pointed out, but they don't do mats at RCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

As for RCD and the £50 - you don't use mats at RCD and that's one of the joys of RCD in the winter. Just wait for the weather forecast to look good and then book - best 50 quid you'll spend!

Fair enough!

Advertisement