Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,660 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I take it 'get rid of all the cowboys and piss takers' is a bit too vague and not what he's looking for? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I take it 'get rid of all the cowboys and piss takers' is a bit too vague and not what he's looking for? :pac:

Prob not :D But still, pointing out the flaws can be helpful too even if the solution isn't apparent. The off thread dealing for me is a problem that I mentioned, & put forward no solution to it

Well in all fairness,
    when some body asks your lowest price on something I'll allways PM them back.
    no point in advertising what you'll take when you might make a few quid more if someones willing to pay!

Eg,
    The cab i was selling a while back.
    Had it up for 350.Did I want 350?Yes!
    would I take 300 for a quick hassle free sale?yes!
    got a few silly offers in the comments like 200,250
    I replied to these via PM said I'd take 300
    Then A guy gave me asking price.
    If I had of said 300 in the comments I would have gotten 300.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Well in all fairness,
    when some body asks your lowest price on something I'll allways PM them back.
    no point in advertising what you'll take when you might make a few quid more if someones willing to pay!

Eg,
    The cab i was selling a while back.
    Had it up for 350.Did I want 350?Yes!
    would I take 300 for a quick hassle free sale?yes!
    got a few silly offers in the comments like 200,250
    I replied to these via PM said I'd take 300
    Then A guy gave me asking price.
    If I had of said 300 in the comments I would have gotten 300.

Regardless, thats against the rules of Adverts. I wouldn't so much have a problem with your type of example though, it's more what Keith touched on where you offer highest or even asking & someone offers more than asking via pm & the seller just unlists the ad...that carry on really annoys me

I personally havent witnessed that myself,
    I dont think anyone could say no to a few more quid tho.
    Supply and demand,

First rule of adverts-
    If your not embarrassed by your first offer you're offering to much ;)

• Advertisement

urbanledge wrote: »
    I personally havent witnessed that myself,
    I dont think anyone could say no to a few more quid tho.
    Supply and demand

You're in a small minority then. Supply & demand indeed, however its the users who abide by the rules that get screwed over, & those who break them that win out. Either the rules get enforced or get changed to fit the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

adverts is too big now and its current rating/feedback or whatever of users doesn't real mean anything. If you're account was tied to something you value, i.e. paypal ; people might be less inclined to act the mickey. But I gave up using it a long time ago, and was chuffed to see a section here for buying/selling, as thats how it used to be before adverts came along.

ondafly wrote: »
    adverts is too big now and its current rating/feedback or whatever of users doesn't real mean anything. If you're account was tied to something you value, i.e. paypal ; people might be less inclined to act the mickey. But I gave up using it a long time ago, and was chuffed to see a section here for buying/selling, as thats how it used to be before adverts came along.

Agreed on all counts, feel free to let Dav know same in the linked-to thread though as he prob won't be watching this one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I personally haven't had any bad experiences on adverts but perhaps If it could be set up that users can only exchange pm's once a price is agreed between both parties. That'd certainly cut down on off thread dealing.

I personally haven't had any bad experiences on adverts but perhaps If it could be set up that users can only exchange pm's once a price is agreed between both parties. That'd certainly cut down on off thread dealing.

Yeah something is definitely needed, just make sure you post it in the other thread as Dav won't be watching this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I wonder if it'd be practical to implement a standard "Don't offer less than X% below asking" rule?

I'd rather see no offers at all on something that's been overpriced, rather than a load of lowball offers cluttering up the threads.

The few times I've sold things, the temptation is to ask for way more then I really want, so the lowball offers might actually fall within my acceptable price range.

animaal wrote: »
    I wonder if it'd be practical to implement a standard "Don't offer less than X% below asking" rule?

I'd rather see no offers at all on something that's been overpriced, rather than a load of lowball offers cluttering up the threads.

The few times I've sold things, the temptation is to ask for way more then I really want, so the lowball offers might actually fall within my acceptable price range.

They introduced a feature to prevent that, you can set it to auto reject offers below a certain amount if you want. Unfortunately when selling a group/pack of items together but willing to split too, its impractical to use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been selling something on Adverts and, regardless of the well worded "I will not be entertaining offer below" statement I still get offers below.
    Unfortunately there is, as yet, no way to reach out and smack those skidmarks about the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What bugs me about adverts is when you see a game you want for a really good price and offer the asking straight away the owner suddenly relises the game might be valuable and just ignores or closes the thead and sticks it up on ebay for auction. This has happened to me around 3 times, should I be leaving negative feedback or what for these people. Even with ebay postage costs anything I've ever bought has always arrived and there isn't that center ground for sellers to act the dick

It's either the above or people offering more than asking in pm, you almost feel compelled to do it sometimes cause you know others are

Entire system is flawed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Adverts need to be completely changed to something more like ebay

I think adverts is grand. It's not perfect, but don't forget, at the end of the day you're dealing with joe public, and joe public can sometimes be a thick, p1ss taking, arm-chancing bastard. Thats just business. Most transactions I do, I ignore the idiots and only deal with people with good feedback/no complaints and by and large I've been fine.

If I could ask for any changes to be made, it would be anything that cuts down on the "post stuff at twice the price you're willing to actually sell for" crap, or maybe something to stop all the really ridiculous lowball offers.

Maybe a private feedback score, so you can slate a bad seller/buyer/offerer without worrying about the inevitable revenge feedback that messes your rating up?

Advertisement