Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Where's my horse?" Owner claims Garda told him to "Check Tesco"

• 26-09-2013 7:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Quite funny if the guard did actually respond to him with such a witty retort......

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2013/09/19/wheres-my-horse-owner-claims-garda-said-check-tesco/

A LIMERICK man who had three horses seized by local authorities told a court that a Garda told him the next time he would see his horse would be on a shelf in Tesco as “burger meat”.

Gerard Walsh (42) of Whitecross Gardens, Moyross pleaded guilty at Limerick District Court to using foul and abusive language to gardaí on April 23 last.

The day prior to the incident, Mr Walsh had three mares seized as part of a local authority clampdown on unlicenced horses in the area. He said that this was a “highly emotive issue in the area”.

He admitted telling Sgt Kevin Burke to “f*** off” when he made the remark that his horse would be found on the shelves of Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Maybe they're the ones taking all the horses to France!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The fact that you can be charged with a crime for telling a gardai to "**** off" is a bit of a joke.
    Archaic nonsense law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

A potential criminal conviction for life for using foul language to a Guard after being provoked by the Guard.
    Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

“I am not accepting that the Sergeant said that. I hope that he didn’t say it but he is not in court to answer that claim”
    This sickens my ****! Gardai have a tough job but that they're not capable of such impropriety is ridiculous. It's not even a case that they're fallible, sometimes they're just plain rude even when it's uncalled for.

Well we don't know if he was provoked by the Garda, it's a pikey's word in court.

It makes sense for there to be a punishment for showing blatant disrespect to a member of the force. Otherwise every pikey in the land will think it's fine to shout abuse at Gardai all the time. Which weakens their authoritah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Phoebas wrote: »
    A potential criminal conviction for life for using foul language to a Guard after being provoked by the Guard.
    Harsh.

A potential career criminal lying under oath to try to curry favour with the judge more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Seaneh wrote: »
    The fact that you can be charged with a crime for telling a gardai to "**** off" is a bit of a joke.
    Archaic nonsense law.

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

seamus wrote: »
    Well we don't know if he was provoked by the Garda, it's a pikey's word in court.

It makes sense for there to be a punishment for showing blatant disrespect to a member of the force. Otherwise every pikey in the land will think it's fine to shout abuse at Gardai all the time. Which weakens their authoritah.

I'm a little uneasy with people automatically being entitled to respect because they wear a uniform. Men with collars were automatically entitled to respect for a long time here, and we all know how that turned out.

Treat people with respect and you'll get respect back.

I've witnessed numerous gardai trying to antagonise drunk young lads on a Saturday night, obviously somebody will react badly.

I'm not saying this did as it's only one man's word against his, but blatant disrespect toward members of the public from gardai is much more prevalent than many think.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I'm a little uneasy with people automatically being entitled to respect because they wear a uniform. Men with collars were automatically entitled to respect for a long time here, and we all know how that turned out.

Treat people with respect and you'll get respect back.

I've witnessed numerous gardai trying to antagonise drunk young lads on a Saturday night, obviously somebody will react badly.

I'm not saying this did as it's only one man's word against his, but blatant disrespect toward members of the public from gardai is much more prevalent than many think.

In your opinion, and absolutely nothing more than that.

I've witnessed it, didn't happen to me, but I've seen it loads of times

I'm a little uneasy with people automatically being entitled to respect because they wear a uniform.
    I agree. Everyone should be automatically entitled to respect unless they've shown cause to not deserve it.

A person who chooses to don the uniform is entitled to be free from being disrespected just because of that uniform, hence why it's punishable. The same should be true for all of the defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Absolute non story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Why do people who live in council houses think they've got a God-given right to keep a horse, roaming around, without any facilities for it?
    About time this sh!t was clamped down on, cause of so much needless suffering for the animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A potential criminal conviction for life for using foal language to a Guard after being provoked by the Guard.

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's a two way street.

Yes and no. Yes, Gardai should treat all members of the public with respect, that goes without saying, but no in that there needs to exist a double standard.

The same reason why murdering a Garda is a more serious crime than a normal murder. Because it's one thing to break a rule of society, it's another thing altogether to attack the framework which upholds those rules.

It's unpalatable and probably unfair in principle, but it's necessary to maintain the rule of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Some Guards are just dicks

I was driving home afew weeks ago and I was pulled over. I was minding my own business and well within the speed Limit.

When Iwas pulled over I asked on what grounds was I pulled over.. I was told that they had a report of a similar car speeding in a village..to which I replied " I doubt there are many other bright orange Focus's around the place"..to which the reply was "Fook Off and just show me your license"...I was well annoyed and asked for his Badge number to which I was greeted by a laugh..It was a joke how the guard acted...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not too different to the thinking of 1960's America! :rolleyes:

Its laughable that the judge thinks members of Gardai are incapable of such a response as "Check Tesco" etc when confiscating horses! The GSOC probably has the same attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Specialun wrote: »

I was driving home afew weeks ago and I was pulled over. I was minding my own business and well within the speed Limit.

When Iwas pulled over I asked on what grounds was I pulled over.. I was told that they had a report of a similar car speeding in a village..to which I replied " I doubt there are many other bright orange Focus's around the place"..to which the reply was "Fook Off and just show me your license"...I was well annoyed and asked for his Badge number to which I was greeted by a laugh..It was a joke how the guard acted...

So in other words you were pulled over. He had a reason to pull you over (report of speeding) and you decided to give a smart response and you wonder why the garda got a bit thick with you.

I have been pulled over many times and have never had a problem with the garda probably because I don't reply with smart comments. Generally I find when dealing with them if you don't act like a dick they are generally all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I find if you don't act like a c't from the get go, Guards are normally very civil and understanding.

Hobbes wrote: »
    I find if you don't act like a c't from the get go, Guards are normally very civil and understanding.

Some of them are, some of them aren't, like people in any other occupation.

The problem is that due to the nature of their job they shouldn't seek to antagonise people or instigate trouble and some of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

heroics wrote: »
    So in other words you were pulled over. He had a reason to pull you over (report of speeding) and you decided to give a smart response and you wonder why the garda got a bit thick with you.

I have been pulled over many times and have never had a problem with the garda probably because I don't reply with smart comments. Generally I find when dealing with them if you don't act like a dick they are generally all right.

He didnt have a reason to pull me over..he clearly made up. He had zero reason to pull me over and regardless of that me "Being smart" doesnt warrant his response of "Fook off and show me your license"HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yes and no. Yes, Gardai should treat all members of the public with respect, that goes without saying, but no in that there needs to exist a double standard.

There's no "yes and no" about it. The police are supposed to serve and protect the general public, they aren't some sort of infallible overlords who are entitled to treat people like sh*t just because they're the cops like. There are plenty of reasons why people dislike the Guards and it's often down to the pig-ignorant (pun unintentional) attitude and sometimes thuggish nature they display.

Taunting someone about their pet and then arresting them when you're told to "f*ck off" is playground bully behaviour if I ever saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Some of them are, some of them aren't, like people in any other occupation.

They are human just like everyone else. While they have training dealing with the public and dealing with situations, it doesn't mean they are immune to others acting like assholes.
    The problem is that due to the nature of their job they shouldn't seek to antagonise people or instigate trouble and some of them do.

Nature of everyones job is not to antagonise others.

FTA69 wrote: »
    There's no "yes and no" about it. The police are supposed to serve and protect the general public, they aren't some sort of infallible overlords who are entitled to treat people like sh*t just because they're the cops like.
    That's a nice little fantasy you've got going there where you think I said anything remotely like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

What the hell is wrong with you, you blather on about respect and the rule of law and you use a term like "pikey!?"

Specialun wrote: »

The very fact you have an orange ford focus should be a criminal offence anyway!

What the hell is wrong with you, you blather on about respect and the rule of law and you use a term like "pikey!?"
    Well I'm effectively barred from discussing the term, which isn't particularly offensive, but like I say, everyone deserves respect until they've shown they don't.

This is a man who's been in trouble with the law a number of times and keeps unlicenced horses roaming around a green area in an urban housing estate.

So he doesn't deserve much respect IMO, he's unable to provide even basic facilities or documents for these horses he claims to care for so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

heroics wrote: »

That's hardly a smart response, it's a statement of fact. Ever seen many orange Focus cars around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Well I'm effectively barred from discussing the term, which isn't particularly offensive, but like I say, everyone deserves respect until they've shown they don't.

This is a man who's been in trouble with the law a number of times and keeps unlicenced horses roaming around a green area in an urban housing estate.

So he doesn't deserve much respect IMO, he's unable to provide even basic facilities or documents for these horses he claims to care for so much.

Says who? Of course its offensive and you should be ashamed to have used it. The moral high horse trip your on doesn't fly when the person uses disgraceful discriminatory terms like you have, then tries to excuse it by saying its not offensive!! You should look at yourself before criticsing others
    it's a pikey's word in court.

Will you look at yourself