Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TEACHING jobs in ENGLAND and Agencies!

• 26-07-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey guys- has anyone any advice on agencies in Ireland for teaching jobs in England?

I went with Engage and found them very pressurizing and really felt backed into a corner with them which I was not happy about-

I also have friends that went with them and were left to fend for themselves when they got to England- Does anyone have any advice on good companies to go with? A few of my friends that are science teachers are going with KS Education and apparently they only have permanent jobs so aren't really an agency- Any thoughts??? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

HI DeeDee84

I found Engage Education to be the same they were ringing me at half 7 in the morning pressuring me to go to England for a week!!!! Absolutely ridiculous. I have a few friends that went and were put interviewing with schools in the completely opposite end of the country than where they wanted to be!

In the end, they accepted jobs but have NO intention of going and they were basically pressured into taking jobs and weren't even allowed think about it. Not good at all. And I found them to be really unprofessional as well. All 'talking the talk' and nothing to back it up! :S There are honest agencies around but I would only take a permanent job where you get paid for your holidays !

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I went with Engage and couldn't think more highly of them and the majority of the staff. I found them supportive and clarified any concerns that I had. They also helped me with other issues apart from finding a job. They even sorted out all accommodation issues so I didn't even have to find a house. I spoken to lots of other teachers that have had the same experience as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I can't help with agencies that are based here but i worked for a few over there if any good to you. If you want to pm me i can give you there contact details.

I went with Engage and couldn't think more highly of them and the majority of the staff. I found them supportive and clarified any concerns that I had. They also helped me with other issues apart from finding a job. They even sorted out all accommodation issues so I didn't even have to find a house. I spoken to lots of other teachers that have had the same experience as me.

Hey there! But have you worked in the UK through them yet!!!??? :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 muinteor eolaiocht

Hi there,

When I moved to the UK first I went with UTeach who were quite good, found me accommodation, did CRB checks (vetting) etc. However, the school wasn't right for me. I then went on to Academics who were exceptional, gave me interview tips, helped me with settling into the UK system etc but they don't help with accommodation to the best of my knowledge. Good luck with the job hunt. My top tip is don't settle - check out the Ofsted reports for any school that's put your way and there is a lot of teaching work there in London and otherwise. A good website to check out for jobs is tes.co.uk and it's also full of resources too. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I found Engage okay, left a job I hated and they immediately got me other work, which was great. Have another job through them, free CRB check as well, which is handy.

Will be having a look at KS, I'm looking for something permanent really, but I've got huge experience now.

Ofsted can be misleading sometimes, a lot of the time its based on the data the school provide, I was in an outstanding primary school a few times, and it felt far from outstanding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I'm meeting with Engage soon so I'll post about how I find them. I worked with Uteach before and decided to try a different agency this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pjfogar

Engage are gangsters. At least uteach give you your proper daily rate. Engage giving 120 a day and charge the school 180. Gangsters

No way, I had no idea that's what they charged a school! So what is the proper daily rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Pjfogar wrote: »
    Engage are gangsters. At least uteach give you your proper daily rate. Engage giving 120 a day and charge the school 180. Gangsters

Where did you hear that?

In fairness, if the school is willing to pay that, they are either really stuck, or can well afford it (not to mention if it is the state sector, it is publicly funded).

120 a day from Engage for teaching? So £600 a week, or roughly £2400 pounds a month is not too shabby at all.

• Advertisement

It's a pretty sweet wage in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

In fairness, if the school is willing to pay that, they are either really stuck, or can well afford it (not to mention if it is the state sector, it is publicly funded).

120 a day from Engage for teaching? So £600 a week, or roughly £2400 pounds a month is not too shabby at all.

It's about £500 a week after tax. And you don't get holiday pay

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Holiday pay is built into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

If you are getting paid £500 a week, and are finding it hard to have a good standard of living and save money, there is something very wrong with your spending habits!!

OK, so rent might be expensive, but I found food etc much cheaper in the UK than Ireland. £500 is pretty decent. It's a lot more than some people live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

500a week is very good for the uk. Yes rent is expensive but i agree with the last poster saying groceries are cheaper. I get a lot of my stuff from the 99p store and buy my veg from the markets. Always great deals in morrisons and Sainburys for meet.

If your working for an agency you should opt to get paid though an umbrella company. Your train/bus travel,lunches and flights back to ireland are reinburst which ia great.

You can ask your umbrella company to hold onto your 12% holiday pay during term time and ask them to pay it when you are on your mid term/xmas holdays etc.

Pjfogar wrote: »

Hey I tend to agree with u mate and their daily rates are ****. I ended up getting £140 per day and they were going to pay me £115. And they promise that u will get permanent with a school but then make u work the whole year on a daily rate. Complete rip off. My advice to anyone going to the UK is get a job where you are perm with a school- at least u are paid for your holidays. Kseducation do mainly permanent.

Mynamehere wrote: »
    500a week is very good for the uk. Yes rent is expensive but i agree with the last poster saying groceries are cheaper. I get a lot of my stuff from the 99p store and buy my veg from the markets. Always great deals in morrisons and Sainburys for meet.

If your working for an agency you should opt to get paid though an umbrella company. Your train/bus travel,lunches and flights back to ireland are reinburst which ia great.

You can ask your umbrella company to hold onto your 12% holiday pay during term time and ask them to pay it when you are on your mid term/xmas holdays etc.

Hey there!!' £500 is rubbish money when you don't get paid for your mid terms or summer holidays and have to save when it's so expensive in the UK anyway. !

I found Engage okay, left a job I hated and they immediately got me other work, which was great. Have another job through them, free CRB check as well, which is handy.

Will be having a look at KS, I'm looking for something permanent really, but I've got huge experience now.

Ofsted can be misleading sometimes, a lot of the time its based on the data the school provide, I was in an outstanding primary school a few times, and it felt far from outstanding!!

Hey rebel girl were you in touch with kseducation at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

mel84 wrote: »
    Hey there!!' £500 is rubbish money when you don't get paid for your mid terms or summer holidays and have to save when it's so expensive in the UK anyway. !

500 pounds after tax, NI and after your holiday pay is taken out is ok. Taking into account your travel, lunches and flights back and forth to Ireland are reinburst. Ask your umbrella company to hold onto your holiday pay and ask them to pay it to you on the week after your mid terms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

Just signed up with Uteach yesterday, thinking of making the move in January. Got a reply from them about going over to England and doing 5 days training course in December in two of their schools in Surrey.
    Anybody signed up to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Just signed up with Uteach yesterday, thinking of making the move in January. Got a reply from them about going over to England and doing 5 days training course in December in two of their schools in Surrey.
    Anybody signed up to go?

I came over to Surrey with uteach in july!!! whereabouts in surrey do you know?

The training is being done in Epsom & Ewell High School and Salesian.
    But interviews will be for others I think. How did/do you find Uteach and teaching in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

But interviews will be for others I think. How did/do you find Uteach and teaching in the UK?

Uteach were fine, a bit persistent with the calls and emails but they were helpful for certain. Teaching in the UK is pretty hectic, I can see why so many teachers burn out here. It's starting to get easier now I've been here two months though, but be prepared for a lot of paperwork and box-ticking and progress reports. Salesian is a really well-respected school, you got lucky there!

Afroshack wrote: »
    Uteach were fine, a bit persistent with the calls and emails but they were helpful for certain. Teaching in the UK is pretty hectic, I can see why so many teachers burn out here. It's starting to get easier now I've been here two months though, but be prepared for a lot of paperwork and box-ticking and progress reports. Salesian is a really well-respected school, you got lucky there!

I don't think there's a job there unfortunately. Thanks for your advice, just don't want to end up in a kip and be more overwhelmed than I already will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

Just had a read through the thread here - I'm currently in Australia, Melbourne to be specific... Hundreds of teaching jobs out there but thousands of teachers applying. It's very competitive. Gave up full time admin work to do supply work, which worked out pretty well, but I'm starting to get annoyed by the lack of contracts that would be available to me and my lack of experience. I've applied for over 20 public jobs in the last 6 months. Seriously considering coming back home and then maybe going to England. Sounds like you're at least given the chance to improve your experience and CV! Obviously I can't expect anyone to make the decision for me... but would any of you mind?!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

I would recommend kent-teach. The agency is run by Kent Co Council and they are recruiting for permanent positions mainly. They hold recruitment days in Dublin after Xmas. They will then fly you over where you do some interviews in schools and then pick from your offers.

I got a job in a relatively OK school. I'm permanent and on a monthly salary which is not too bad. also the experience that you get is hugely beneficial and will stand to you if you go back to Ireland after a year or two.

Also Kent Co Council have a formal induction process for NQTs which is recognised by the teaching council back in Ireland.

The only issue is the social side. I'm in west Kent which is a bit lonely as there are few Irish out and about. If you want an OK social life I recommend you live east of Maidstone

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

I actually was on the pilot training course for this back in June and loved it.
    Its run by the head teachers from those two schools. You spend a week observing and teaching lessons, being tutored by two teachers in Salesian who are really brilliant. By the end of the week, I was 5 times the teacher I was at the start.
    On the Friday, we taught two lessons. Head teachers from 12 different schools come in and walk in and out of your lessons. (Salesian and epsoma and Ewell are part of a schools alliance with a lot of other schools in south west London). Its almost like an audition and is very nerve wrecking, but it does mean every lesson you ever teach again will be a walk in the park in comparison.
    At the end they pick who they like and offer them jobs. Everyone on the course (There was 6 of us) got offered multiple jobs (There were 7 headteachers hiring for my subject, I got 7 offers.)
    Uteach arent great, weve had problems with them, but if you want to come to England, then this course is great! It really bridges the gap to teaching in england and will have you teaching some great lessons. The headteachers and teachers involved are excellent though. You will be very well looked after.
    The one suggestion we made to them was to lose uteach and go with the course alone so I am dissapointed they have decided to go through uteach again but for the benefits of the course, I would put up with uteach.
    You most likely wont get a job in Salesian, they werent hiring from our course, they are just the training base. Epsom and Ewell did hire a teacher. But the schools that are involved are great! The six of us from the original course all live together/ close by here in London and nobody got a bad school.
    If you get a list of schools at any stage, pop me a message on here and I could highlight some school I would reccomend maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wombleer

hello folks,

I've been working in England for nearly 4 years and the only way in the door is through agencies. they are gangsters and you do sign your life away at the start but generally the school will offer to sign you up after a year with them. the only issue is that agencies will plonk you in any school saying that it is a great place to work. if they do just check out the reviews for the school. i've seen people in and out in less than a couple of months and agencies just keep finding replacements. There is no holiday pay or sick pay and christmas can be a long period of time regardless of how much the offer you. especially if you forget to hand in your timesheet. so with travel costs and other expenditures money needs to be managed. they do pay some expenses so and in receipts to claim back some money.

if you are thinking of moving to england make sure you get the following done:
    1. translate your certificates into english
    2.copies of your results transcripts
    3.join the teaching council of ireland

this will help you register with the teaching council in england and get QTS (qualified teacher status) or at least onto the NQT (newly qualified teacher) register in england, which will help you move away from agencies an allow you to apply to schools directly. generally you just have to show evidence of improvement using the structure. If you have done your probation period you may not need to do this and can apply for QTS straight away. this also affects your pay. maximum you can earn without QTS is up to £26,000. agencies will offer a little more than this but with QTS you go onto the main salary scale.

if you have any other questions just pm me

take it easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 irish_chick

Hey louthdrog. Thanks for all your info. I have recruitment day with uteach this week with possibility of going over to uk for a weeks training in december. Nervous and excited. Can u give me anymore tips or advice? What happens at the day recruitment? Hoping that i get into the weeks training in december and get offered a job in january.are there many schools outside the london area.was hoping to stay away from london itself and hopefully be more on the surrey side nearer to hampshire.anymore info would be great thanks.

Advertisement