Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

StepLeader wrote: »
    Hard to say but some applicants actually don't pass the written assessment (i read somewhere that 1 in 3 don't but I find that hard to believe). Some may apply who may not met the requirements and may not get , for e.g a educational exemption i.e again, for e.g, not having Irish from their Leaving Cert. Probably some don't get through the BR checks, through no fault of their own, and also some fail the Medical. Probably some people who apply later withdraw their application for whatever reason.

A full time recruitment campaign would weed out these people fairly quickly, as it is there is a drip feed of applicants for the reserve as its part time and there is no cut off date, the full time requirements will demand a higher level of education and the aptitude test will be more difficult. The government will have the pick of 50000 applicants and the process will be easier for them to progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

A full time recruitment campaign would weed out these people fairly quickly, as it is there is a drip feed of applicants for the reserve as its part time and there is no cut off date, the full time requirements will demand a higher level of education and the aptitude test will be more difficult. The government will have the pick of 50000 applicants and the process will be easier for them to progress!
    Do you think a Reserve would need to do another BR check or medical if they are still active when going for full time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Do you think a Reserve would need to do another BR check or medical if they are still active when going for full time?

Yes! but the BR check obviously shouldn't be a problem and would be done again to ensure fhere are no skeletons in the closet as letting the wrong person into a full time position would be a disaster as its way harder to get rid of them, the medical would be done again and may be more demanding IMO for the same reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 StepLeader

I think there may be a 'perception' out there that people applying to the Garda Reserve (GR), as was alluded to (albeit inadvertently) here by a previous poster, may have a lesser 'educational standard'. It may be true also that people may feel because it is a reserve position that it may be easier to get in so to speak. I think the figures on applicants not making it shows that the standards are high for GR's applicants too and absolutely rightly so. I think the vast majority of GR's are highly educated, highly competent people, who want to do a good job, are highly motivated and from all accounts so far are very good at that job. You'll always have someone slip through the net who isn't suitable. That happens in every job.
    From what I've heard, and this has come from Garda HQ itself, there are many applying to the GR who have Degrees/Masters et cetera. Professional people with a lot of life experience. From my own experience of the GR application process I've found it quite thorough. I have a National Diploma & Bachelor of Science Degree myself and I have a professional qualification too, I am not implying that these qualifications make me a better person or will make me a better GR but I'm only saying this as I would say it helped in my application that's all (looked good on paper ;-). I have a high level of fitness too. That helped too. My application took just over 2 years, application to start training date.
    As regards the medical for the GR. Being a health professional myself I found it quite thorough, and I honestly don't know what else they could have examined! The Garda Dr. himself told me it was the same medical for the reserve as for full-time. Many GR applicants fail the medical exam and many applicants for full-time will too.

The Background (BR) check are the same for reserve and full-time applicants are in place right up until appointment. It would be equally a disaster for reserve or full-time if this wasn't the case.
    Any GR applying to full-time, with the current GR application process in place, should of course go through the same process but I would imagine the BR check's would be a lot quicker. If they had the medical within 6 months they would not have to redo a medical (Garda medicals are 'good' for 6 months). Therefore in theory a GR, with a '6 month medical' who successfully passed the entrance test for full-time with a high enough mark could get called for training faster. Unlikely but it could happen for current GR applicants who may have medicals next year or sooner (who successfully applied to the up coming full-time recruitment).

If I had recommendations in regard to the GR application process at present it would be that in my opinion;
    1.There should be the exact same aptitude test for the GR as there is for the full-time force. With a minimum pass mark for same. If you don't make that mark? Gone.
    2.There should be a physical competency test (pct) for the reserve applicants as part of the application process. If you don't pass that? Gone.

Looking forward to starting my GR training and experience of the job itself! Reserve I know and in a support role but I will be proud to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

StepLeader wrote: »
    I think there may be a 'perception' out there that people applying to the Garda Reserve (GR), as was alluded to (albeit inadvertently) here by a previous poster, may have a lesser 'educational standard'. It may be true also that people may feel because it is a reserve position that it may be easier to get in so to speak. I think the figures on applicants not making it shows that the standards are high for GR's applicants too and absolutely rightly so. I think the vast majority of GR's are highly educated, highly competent people, who want to do a good job, are highly motivated and from all accounts so far are very good at that job. You'll always have someone slip through the net who isn't suitable. That happens in every job.
    From what I've heard, and this has come from Garda HQ itself, there are many applying to the GR who have Degrees/Masters et cetera. Professional people with a lot of life experience. From my own experience of the GR application process I've found it quite thorough. I have a National Diploma & Bachelor of Science Degree myself and I have a professional qualification too, I am not implying that these qualifications make me a better person or will make me a better GR but I'm only saying this as I would say it helped in my application that's all (looked good on paper ;-). I have a high level of fitness too. That helped too. My application took just over 2 years, application to start training date.
    As regards the medical for the GR. Being a health professional myself I found it quite thorough, and I honestly don't know what else they could have examined! The Garda Dr. himself told me it was the same medical for the reserve as for full-time. Many GR applicants fail the medical exam and many applicants for full-time will too.

The Background (BR) check are the same for reserve and full-time applicants are in place right up until appointment. It would be equally a disaster for reserve or full-time if this wasn't the case.
    Any GR applying to full-time, with the current GR application process in place, should of course go through the same process but I would imagine the BR check's would be a lot quicker. If they had the medical within 6 months they would not have to redo a medical (Garda medicals are 'good' for 6 months). Therefore in theory a GR, with a '6 month medical' who successfully passed the entrance test for full-time with a high enough mark could get called for training faster. Unlikely but it could happen for current GR applicants who may have medicals next year or sooner (who successfully applied to the up coming full-time recruitment).

If I had recommendations in regard to the GR application process at present it would be that in my opinion;
    1.There should be the exact same aptitude test for the GR as there is for the full-time force. With a minimum pass mark for same. If you don't make that mark? Gone.
    2.There should be a physical competency test (pct) for the reserve applicants as part of the application process. If you don't pass that? Gone.

Looking forward to starting my GR training and experience of the job itself! Reserve I know and in a support role but I will be proud to do it.

Have to ask how long were you waiting for an interview ?2 years long time from date of application

• Advertisement

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Have to ask how long were you waiting for an interview ?2 years long time from date of application

Background check's took ages as I had worked overseas for a while and have a couple of close relations overseas too. So I guess my application took longer than others. I did speak to someone at the Medical who said it was around 3 years for him! But I would think that's exceptional. Looking at other posters here it seems somewhere around a year, from application to training day is the norm.

And in the BR checks do u have ta put in aunties and uncles ?because i have family in england 2 uncles, just askin incase i do get that fair

And in the BR checks do u have ta put in aunties and uncles ?because i have family in england 2 uncles, just askin incase i do get that fair

Yep you will. Good luck with the application!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paxi_R6

Lads, I am looking to apply to the reserves just wondering applying through the site (Publicjobs) wether you print off the application in additional information or just make Publicjobs profile, like I did and just tick the box asking am I applying to the reserves. Rather confused what way to do it, sure their is someone who knows how to help me on this fourm.

Reagrds,
    Pax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Paxi_R6 wrote: »
    Lads, I am looking to apply to the reserves just wondering applying through the site (Publicjobs) wether you print off the application in additional information or just make Publicjobs profile, like I did and just tick the box asking am I applying to the reserves. Rather confused what way to do it, sure their is someone who knows how to help me on this fourm.

Reagrds,
    Pax

Hi Pax,

Ya you complete the interview application form and send it off.
    Rememebr that the waiting times are quite long so be prepared,

Hope that helps?

Canyon86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Kthulu91

Hey Lads, got accepted for training, although you know the two day course after the two weeks training what is that exactly?

What would happen if you miss those two days.

If anyone know let me know soon !

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

Kthulu91 wrote: »
    Hey Lads, got accepted for training, although you know the two day course after the two weeks training what is that exactly?

Thanks!

I'd imagine reserves who have done their training recently will answer that one for you better, when i joined the reserves in early 2011 it was a different set up regards training, afaik nowadays you can do interviews on a regular basis and training is now comprised of a full week (or two), when i trained it was done on weekends in the Templemore..im guessing the two day course is for PULSE and pepper spray training because the only other courses you do as a reserve is held in the college and is for handcuff techniques and ASP training.

Hope that helps

Fegten wrote: »
    I'd imagine reserves who have done their training recently will answer that one for you better, when i joined the reserves in early 2011 it was a different set up regards training, afaik nowadays you can do interviews on a regular basis and training is now comprised of a full week (or two), when i trained it was done on weekends in the Templemore..im guessing the two day course is for PULSE and pepper spray training because the only other courses you do as a reserve is held in the college and is for handcuff techniques and ASP training.

Hope that helps

Ah grand, I thought those two days were gonna be on during a wedding I had to go to, but isn't the case.

Looking forward to the Training, been waiting just a little over a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Ah grand, I thought those two days were gonna be on during a wedding I had to go to, but isn't the case.

Looking forward to the Training, been waiting just a little over a year :)

Is that a year from you passed the medical or from you applied for the reserves?

want2b wrote: »
    Is that a year from you passed the medical or from you applied for the reserves?

Just a little over a year from when I applied yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Thanks!

Congrats on getting accepted. It says on you invitation to commence training what training Phase III involves. If you can't make it let them know at the end of the two weeks and they'll put your name down with the next group to do phase III.

Just a little over a year from when I applied yes.

You got in quick, others can be near 2 years from what I have seen here, when had your medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lCclJsoBec

This video has gone mental on liveleak there was no where to put it so i added it here.

shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lCclJsoBec

This video has gone mental on liveleak there was no where to put it so i added it here.

shocking stuff.

One shot bang bang..shocking how much little fear there is for AGS in this day and age

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 153 ✭✭rollcall

Hi all, I dont normally contribute to this forum much, but as a Sgt. with 30 years service can I just say that one of the key skills to learn as you gain experience in policing is not responding to fools like that, or letting people goad you into taking action that will have consequences. You arrest that guy, you are in the station for hours with custody, PULSE etc., and the courts don't take stuff like that seriously, so he walks out of court even more empowered to take us on. If we reacted to every instance like this we would never get anything else done. If the Garda in this case had reacted inappropriately because he let himself be would up by this fool it was going to be caught on video, and that is exactly what the yobs wanted, to cost the Garda his job, and have it all up on Indymedia etc. In the current policing environment where we work under the scrutiny of GSOC, stations are being closed, we cant even get the basics like patrol cars, Ireland is getting the policing service it deserves from politicians. People interested in a career in AGS need a serious dose of reality about doing the job, I hope that serving in the reserves might provide that for people. Also, I have been out on patrol in the US several times, and despite what you might see on TV, things are increasingly pretty much the same there, for example some State Troopers I know are no longer allowed to give evidence in uniform because it 'intimidates' the defendants! This guy in the video is a mouth, he knew he had an audience and I think the Gardai did exactly right thing. It often takes more courage to walk away, and getting into a shouting match with this moron would only make him worse. Just my opinion folks!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

rollcall wrote: »
    Hi all, I dont normally contribute to this forum much, but as a Sgt. with 30 years service can I just say that one of the key skills to learn as you gain experience in policing is not responding to fools like that, or letting people goad you into taking action that will have consequences. You arrest that guy, you are in the station for hours with custody, PULSE etc., and the courts don't take stuff like that seriously, so he walks out of court even more empowered to take us on. If we reacted to every instance like this we would never get anything else done. If the Garda in this case had reacted inappropriately because he let himself be would up by this fool it was going to be caught on video, and that is exactly what the yobs wanted, to cost the Garda his job, and have it all up on Indymedia etc. In the current policing environment where we work under the scrutiny of GSOC, stations are being closed, we cant even get the basics like patrol cars, Ireland is getting the policing service it deserves from politicians. People interested in a career in AGS need a serious dose of reality about doing the job, I hope that serving in the reserves might provide that for people. Also, I have been out on patrol in the US several times, and despite what you might see on TV, things are increasingly pretty much the same there, for example some State Troopers I know are no longer allowed to give evidence in uniform because it 'intimidates' the defendants! This guy in the video is a mouth, he knew he had an audience and I think the Gardai did exactly right thing. It often takes more courage to walk away, and getting into a shouting match with this moron would only make him worse. Just my opinion folks!

Totally agree. Remember if we cant no control ourselves how can we control others. This Garda did the right thing exactly what we are trained to do. Ignore the ranting fool and act in aprofessional manner at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

rollcall wrote: »

and your opinion is spot on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Fegten wrote: »
    One shot bang bang..shocking how much little fear there is for AGS in this day and age

iv seen much worse dealt with alot less

at the end of the mr.mouth piece shouted and roared from his own front door

garda kept his cool

all in all it ended it what seemed to be an peaceful way

and a few days later, summons serves and the courts will deal with it

Hey all , got good news that i past my interview. But i would just like to no does anyone know anything about exemptions iv got C2 in foundation maths you need B3 im going to do my maths again as i want to go in full time , the question i am asking is do i stand a good chance of getting my exemption? i know of a person who had fail maths and he got in .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hey all , got good news that i past my interview. But i would just like to no does anyone know anything about exemptions iv got C2 in foundation maths you need B3 im going to do my maths again as i want to go in full time , the question i am asking is do i stand a good chance of getting my exemption? i know of a person who had fail maths and he got in .

How did the interview go? as in did you find it difficult or very easy? I'm not sure about the maths though :o

carzony ,interview went grand was very happy , the report is were i was sure i went wrong but i must of done ok because i past, have an interview coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

carzony ,interview went grand was very happy , the report is were i was sure i went wrong but i must of done ok because i past, have an interview coming up?

I'm not really in a hurry to be honest. My college work is keeping me very busy and I start my community work (civil defence) next week. I suppose i'll be a much better candidate by the end of this year:D. I might apply in the next week weeks though. I plan on doing a criminal psychology course next year. kinda wanna see how that goes, I'll have to work out how I can manage that financially first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Well done on the interview Runner1,,

I m not sure being honest on your q tho, maybe give HQ a ring?

good luck with everything

Does any1 no how many classes they take in a year down in templemore that is ?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when the next training is for reserves?

Advertisement