Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet for mother!

Options
  • 16-09-2013 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭

My mother Birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I was thinking of getting her this as a present or something similar.

http://www.did.ie/go-clever-7-tablet-with-keyboard-and-case-tabr70bundle-prd

Are these any good?
    I would just like to point out that she won't be using it a lot. Just basically to read the weather/news/and a few other sites a few times a day. She would never really be watching videos online/downloading stuff.
    Would one of these be any good?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

That one looks fine, i think a lot of these tablets are designed for the type of audience you've mentioned (casual internet browsers and the like)

The price point is about as cheap as you can go, so I think you're getting a good deal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

How much RAM does it have? Being honest Android needs at least 1GB of RAM to function (imo) so I wouldn't rush into buying the cheapest tablet going. I think these Go Clever tablets only have 512MB. Also a single core CPU with Android 4 would also be a concern to me.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

yoyo wrote: »
    How much RAM does it have? Being honest Android needs at least 1GB of RAM to function (imo) so I wouldn't rush into buying the cheapest tablet going. I think these Go Clever tablets only have 512MB. Also a single core CPU with Android 4 would also be a concern to me.

Nick

I don't know how much RAM it has.
    I don't see much point of wasting a lot of money on one because she won't be using a lot of it and she would never be downloading music or watching videos.

I don't know how much RAM it has.
    I don't see much point of wasting a lot of money on one because she won't be using a lot of it and she would never be downloading music or watching videos.

Android can run dog slow on low end hardware, hence my worry. If you can try the tablet out before hand I would definitely recommend doing so. Internet browsing/app switching etc. I would consider checking. Android is great but it does need good hardware to run smooth on. Even my tablet which is a higher spec than that can slow down at times, although I have seen devices with 512MB struggle on Jelly Bean.

Nick

Nick

I wasn't actually aware that the spec margins were so high for Android, I imagined if it's running the stock version of android that it would be quite lightweight

• Advertisement

kitnan wrote: »
    I wasn't actually aware that the spec margins were so high for Android, I imagined if it's running the stock version of android that it would be quite lightweight

That's not the case in my experience. I think 4.2 did improve system performance even still if you want a device that won't freeze often and work as intended, I would look at 1GB RAM at minimum. If you must go lower due to price, then I would recommend trying out the device out before hand if possible, to see how it performs with web browsing/app switching etc.

Nick

That's not the case in my experience. I think 4.2 did improve system performance even still if you want a device that won't freeze often and work as intended, I would look at 1GB RAM at minimum. If you must go lower due to price, then I would recommend trying out the device out before hand if possible, to see how it performs with web browsing/app switching etc.

Nick

Possibly something like this for our friend freshpopcorn then?

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Nurvo_Dual_Core_7_16GB_1GB_Jelly_Bean_NURVO7DCM/version.asp

kitnan wrote: »
    Possibly something like this for our friend freshpopcorn then?

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Nurvo_Dual_Core_7_16GB_1GB_Jelly_Bean_NURVO7DCM/version.asp

Yep, that would be the kind of spec I'd say at minimum :) . If DID have a demo unit available for the tablet in the op then it would be no harm trying it out either, but if its only 512MB RAM then it may just be too slow to be usable. I could be totally wrong but that's just my experience

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I'm looking for something similar for my parents, mostly to be used for book reading, internet browsing and occasional skype call. So front camera would be needed.
    Price range:100-120 euro.
    EDIT: I'd also prefer if the screen was bigger than 7" if possible
    Regards,
    Darius.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

That depends on what features you would like and how much you can afford.
    I think the iPad mini is a nice choice, just considering buy another one, but as there are rumors about new iPad release this oct. so Im waiting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement