Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tablet?

• 18-09-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

What to buy? mini ipad, nexus or samsung tablets?
    I work in an office and have a PC. I also have an iphone. We also have an ipad at home(it's the wife's). I need a tablet to work on...word, excel and bring to clients to show them images of work I have done.
    I do not like Windows RT interface.
    What do I buy? I was up in Compuworld today totally confused and left with nothing!
    Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

While the iPad may be the obvious choice (as you are already within the eco system with the iPhone) if you need to be quickly transferring documents/spreadsheets to and fro a more open OS like Android or Windows RT may be a better option. It is an absolute pain to get documents on a Apple device if you have no internet connectivity at any point. You can use the likes of Dropbox/GDrive/SkyDrive to get documents on iOS devices (or others) but this will not be much use if you are in a location with no internet connectivity. Android/Windows devices would also be cheaper. My 2cs anyways. I wouldn't knock Windows RT yet, especially as an RT version of Office should be out soon, which will be fully featured like the desktop version. It should also be noted iOS and Android have Office 365 apps which allow you edit content on the go with a valid Office 365 subscription. This does, however, require an active internet connection as it's a cloud service

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

That's great Nick. It's difficult being caught between the two systems. I use a drawing package that cannot run on Apple so I'm bound to a PC at work.
    I tried HTC and windows before but did not like interface and reverted to an iphone. I do like the Microsoft tablet/laptop crossover,the Samsung and mini ipad but do not like the feel of a nexus. My wife has an ipad so may try it out and think of getting mini for her in a swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bazlad

Hi Nick,

i dont think there is a single device out there really, that would hit all the spots. Well not without spending a fortune.

I assume when you say Windows you also mean windows 8? If so you could reinstall windows 7, or maybe some of the online vendors will still allow you order it.

Suggest you buy a reasonable laptop for home for the heavy keyboard intensive work, and then maybe a inexpensive android tablet and as suggested already, just save the files (probably in PDF) to skydrive etc and use them to show remotely.
    The Acer Laptop models arent bad, starting at 349 euros
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-V5122P-116andrdquo-Touchscreen-Laptop-andndash-Silver/315313/104.9

The Iconia 7inch tablet in great value in Argos at 129 euro.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1079559/Trail/searchtext%3ETABLET.htm
    Worthing looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Thanks Bazlad,
    I think you have the right idea. A laptop would probably be best and I saw some nice Acers yesterday.
    The mini ipad is very tempting as its such a nice piece of equipment but I'ld have 4 devices to look after if I got one. Too many.
    I'll think about laptop idea.
    Niall.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

bazlad wrote: »
    Hi Nick,

i dont think there is a single device out there really, that would hit all the spots. Well not without spending a fortune.

I assume when you say Windows you also mean windows 8? If so you could reinstall windows 7, or maybe some of the online vendors will still allow you order it.

Suggest you buy a reasonable laptop for home for the heavy keyboard intensive work, and then maybe a inexpensive android tablet and as suggested already, just save the files (probably in PDF) to skydrive etc and use them to show remotely.
    The Acer Laptop models arent bad, starting at 349 euros
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-V5122P-116andrdquo-Touchscreen-Laptop-andndash-Silver/315313/104.9

The Iconia 7inch tablet in great value in Argos at 129 euro.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1079559/Trail/searchtext%3ETABLET.htm
    Worthing looking at.
    Windows 8/Windows 8.1 RT (8.1 RT out October afaik) would be my number one choice for office/power point/excel editing on the move. The Surface has a full size USB port, can easily have files saved on the device offline and will also have the full "proper" Microsoft Office suite on it soon. They really are excellent tablets for business use compared to Android/iOS. Also Windows RT is not like Windows Phone. It's basically Windows 8 but without support for x86/x64 applications due to using ARM CPUs.
    The Surfaces are good value and would suit the bill for op perfectly imo, although Android and iOS may suffice. If your not sure you'll have an internet connection at all time take note that you can't save documents onto the iPad directly and need to use cloud storage to work with them.
    Android and Windows let you easily save files on the device. I tested Windows/Android/iOS devices for this purpose (document construction and manipulation) and iOS was the most frustration due to needing "workarounds" compared to Windows and Android for offline editing. Windows fitted the bill perfectly however lacked in other areas like app support, although this is improving. Remember if you'll be on the go you probably won't have a stable internet connection all the time, particularly if relying on 3G

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement