Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone / Windows 8 App recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Adding a brief summary about the app would help also with the link to save clicking every one

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Podcast Lounge €1.50

I couldn't get some of the podcasts I wanted with ipodcast especially the Second Captains podcasts. I find podcast lounge a far superior app for downloading the podcasts I want onto my phone. Mostly GAA and soccer podcasts. I think it was money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Some of my suggestions (sorry if some are Nokia-only!) after using WP8 for a few days.....

NB not in order of preference!!!:)

Barcode Wallet - Get rid of supermarket barcode loyalty cards from your wallet! Have to confess I haven't used it in store yet, but it scanned SuperValu, Tesco and Superquinn cards fine for me. I picked this app because it will link from the Wallet app on the phone.
    Bus Nearby - Always liked this Irish app for Dublin Bus.
    Domino's Pizza - To be honest it's as much about the novelty of ordering a pizza from the phone. That said, I have to say the app is very simple and clear to use and you can put through all sorts of combinations.
    Facebook Beta - For some reason I can never find this when I search Marketplace from my phone, but it's pretty good!
    Lock Manager Free - Saw it on another thread on the forum and am very impressed with it. Finally a good app that shows up to your next 6 calendar appointments while screen is locked plus shows remaining battery as a percentage plus lots of other useful info!
    Netflix - no explanation needed!
    Photobeamer - Display your pics on any screen that can load an internet browser!
    RTE News Now
    Sky Wallet - Trialing this at the moment to see what I think. I'm a bit nervous at the idea of loading lots of passwords and financial details into an app from a security point of view....
    WPCentral - Just got this yesterday as I like their website and it seems like a really well developed app! Worth the 99c

Other apps I like from betalabs - Nokias only:
    Lumia Storage Check - nicely presented analysis on how you're using space.
    Nokia Device Hub Beta - Find apps that work with your media devices at home.
    Glance Background - has potential but I already have a screenlock app (above) that I like!

The one thing I find most frustrating is that when I search the store I'm seeing most popular Irish apps which relies on Irish people rating them. Without changing the region on my phone is there any way to quickly see what are the top free or trending apps worldwide?

On the gaming side of things you just can't beat Wordament. I also like the various Jewel games (have AE Jewels at the moment - AE have some of the best free games!) and am giving Drawtopia a go too.

Just got SongArc the other day and have to say I love it as a game! Simple idea and really enjoyable! It's kinda like a guitar-hero type of game on your phone and you use both thumbs to match lyrics/melody/beats of music. It comes with a few demos but more importantly checks all music on your phone versus which ones have "sheets" set up for them. Oh and it's free too! :)

I'd also mention WPCentral again for anyone who doesn't have it - so handy for news and app recommendations every day!

Calculator² is a good calculator app.

Dual Shot is a kinda random one for taking a photo of both what is in front of and behind you and pasting them together! Could be good for a self shot of friends at a gig or something? I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Midfield9 wrote: »
    Podcast Lounge €1.50

I couldn't get some of the podcasts I wanted with ipodcast especially the Second Captains podcasts. I find podcast lounge a far superior app for downloading the podcasts I want onto my phone. Mostly GAA and soccer podcasts. I think it was money well spent.
    Second Captains is available on iPodcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Sophie Lens HD - (replaces Sophie Lens) photo editor / filters with free filter packs for a ltd time

• Registered Users Posts: 81,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Icon.95039.pngVBA8 - Gameboy Advance Emulator for Windows Phone/8/RT

277559.PNG

Yeah this pretty much speaks for itself. Get it.

See also

Icon.124213.pngVGBC8 Gameboy Emulator For Windows 8 and RT

Icon.65186.pngSNES8X, a Sens9x successor for Windows 8 and RT

Do not link to or discuss ROMs please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

@gOg

Just playing around with that bar code wallet, and the barcodes and QR codes look different from the ones on my loyalty tag after I scaned them. Would have thought they would be the same.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    @gOg

Just playing around with that bar code wallet, and the barcodes and QR codes look different from the ones on my loyalty tag after I scaned them. Would have thought they would be the same.
    Yeah I found similar with one of those I tried, but most worked fine. To be honest I haven't had any success i na shop with the thing. It's great at scanning in barcodes initially, but the readers don't seem to like the way it appears on phone screen (Lumia 920 in this case).

On a completely separate note I'd recommend the DI Radio app for any fans of any genre of dance music!

I also like CamScanner as a handy way to use your phone as a scanner to create and share PDF files.

Anyone got good ideas on toddler apps to put in the Kids Corner? I have Draw Free and Toy Xylophone so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Using a Lumia 800.

Tried the Bar Code Wallet in Tescos yesterday.

After searching my pocket for the phone, entering my unlock passcode, opening the app, then my tescos barcode, before finally waving my phone infront of the barcode reader, it didn't work. I then searched for my keys, and used the key fob barcode instead.

:D

Wonder if its anything to do with some features not working on an OS of below 8.0 (mines 7.8).

Any suggestions for a fuel/MPG tracker?

I was using Fuel Diary, dont remember developer or able to find link, up until about a month ago when it would no longer opened. Gave plenty of information based on your cars advertised MPG, how much you filled with, and price. But had no graphs.

Currently using MPG Tracker by TSoftOne. Gives loads of information back, with graphs, but nothing to compare with your cars advertised MPG that I can find.

Other apps.

Tuneln Radio I use often for a few London and BBC Stations.

Absolute Radio. Only problem I find is, you cant use other features whilst its in use.

Have nokias own City Lens, which for some reason, no longer seems to work, weather useing Data or Wifi. Always asks my to move the phone through a Figure of 8 to configure the phone to its location/surroundings, but then progresses no further.

Finally, still no sign of a BOI app.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The Machine- Very challenging action game. If you are a fan of the old school games where you had to try really hard to win the game you will enjoy this game. Also achievements adds a nice touch of re-playability to the game.

Lock Manager - LOCK MANAGER is the best app to take full control of your lock screen! View important information on your lock screen, in 37 different languages*, without even unlocking your phone! Display current weather, calendar appointments, up to 3 personal reminders (or custom text), and a battery level indicator on your lock screen and live tile

News360 - News360 aggregates more than 15,000 different news sources around the web to bring you news stories in a concise and useful stream, along with photos and video covering the story. The semantic analysis technology behind News360 allows you to tailor your feeds to your exact interests and location, and get background information and dossiers about all the companies, people and locations that make the news.

SofaScore LiveScore - SofaScore LiveScore is an one-for-all live score app. With our app you can track sport results and scores in all major leagues, tournaments and events. You can also create a list of favorite teams and games which will enable your phone to receive notifications. With SofaScore you'll never miss an important match again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Bing Translator: can translate multiple languages using voice, text input and text detection through your camera - a godsend when on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Bing Weather: This is really good for local weather.
    Bign Translator: +1 for this, really useful and the fact that it can be used offline is great for the holidays.
    Soundhound: Useful because you can pin the Listen button to your start page for quicker access. It even (potentially) is able to recognise a tune if you hum or sing it (depending on how good / poor your singing is) - we tried that with a few mates and it worked about 30-40% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

My free app, a free app every day. Tbh they're usually brutal but worth keeping an eye on for the odd good one that appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

After searching my pocket for the phone, entering my unlock passcode, opening the app, then my tescos barcode, before finally waving my phone infront of the barcode reader, it didn't work. I then searched for my keys, and used the key fob barcode instead.
    That is dependent on the retailer's scanner at the POS system. Your standard 1D barcode scanner will not read a phone screen. A 2D scanner will. 2D Scanners can also scan QR codes. Next time you're in Starbucks for instance you may notice them using a blue scanner which is designed to read phone screens. The type of scanner pictured below will read them too if the screen is sufficiently bright and the image is sufficiently clear. And no this doesn't really apply afaik to the multi-vector barcode scanners grocery stores use.

1D-2D-font-b-Mini-b-font-font-b-Bluetooth-b-font-font-b-Barcode-b.jpg

4od - channel 4 TV catch up is now available (not showing on the irish webstore yet, but I installed it today

readit - read reddit - it's a paid for app but I have it on trial at the moment and it's very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

ablelocks wrote: »

readit - read reddit - it's a paid for app but I have it on trial at the moment and it's very good.

baconit is much better and free.

using the workaround in post 1, I was able to install the new Nokia Camera app (replaced Pro Cam and integrated Smart Cam) and the Refocus App on my 820.

Good to see the Here+ Drive update yesterday bring some new features like a better route overview and also it factors traffic into your journey now in terms of arrival time! Also includes a "find my car" which I guess is more focused on big American Mall carparks.

For anyone with young kids, Duckie Deck Collection is a good one for free to stick in your Kids Corner.

After a bit of thinking on which one looked best I went with System Tiles for putting quick links on hon the homescreen and am liking it so far.

What're people's thoughts on the best battery monitor? I know they use up battery themselves, but I'm curious to see what the biggest battery drains are on my phone are.

• Advertisement

Grantophone - LOVE IT! (as does my 2-year-old. My wife......not so much!). It's a synthesizer thingy that you can tweak and even behaves based on angle of the phone.

Instagram was also released in the past couple of hours as a beta release. I've never really used Instagram before but will give it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Has anybody found a good keyboard app? I find the standard QWERTY interface very awkward to use quickly or when on the go.

Ideally I want to be able to use the 9 key phone pad style keyboard.

Only apps I have found so far from google-age are standalone keyboard apps that essentially allow you to type stuff and then insert into a text. I want to add an additional keyboard/replace the original when in standard texting.

Does this exist for WP8, or am I stuck with QWERTY for now? :(

On Lumia 520 in case it makes a difference. Is this available or standard opn the higher end WP8 phones?

Just found this discussion on the topic
    Looks like I'll have to wait it out, or go back to android....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

Some of the other favourite apps I use, tho not sure if all are available in the South are -

BBC iPlayer
    TVCatchup - for live TV
    TV Guide - good for seeing whats on the Irish channels
    iMDb - for movies
    Amazing Music - came with the Nokia phone, great for caching new albums free

Sky Sports News
    arseblog - daily blog, but only for Arsenal fans!
    1st4Fans - think there is a version for all the big clubs
    Goal Live Scores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

All these apps are free at the moment

Where's my perry
    Where's my water
    Wreck it Ralph
    monsters university
    Where's my mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

wilser wrote: »
    All these apps are free at the moment

Where's my perry
    Where's my water
    Wreck it Ralph
    monsters university
    Where's my mickey

Handy link with QR codes to find them
    http://www.wpcentral.com/disneys-season-giving-provides-hours-free-entertainment

Apict is free till 25/11 - simple polaroid camera app

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Fuel Nearby
    Find the cheapest petrol or diesel anywhere in Ireland (powered by Pumps.ie)

Disclaimer: I may have developed the app :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

4oD - Channel 4 catch up player. Quite impressed with the result.

Today Widgets - "Today provides you the simplest way to check your local weather forecast without unlocking the phone."

Decent options to change, backround image, quotes etc

HERE Transit - "Available in over 740 cities globally, this is the only public transit app you’ll ever need."

Translator - "Bing Translator is your companion when you need to overcome the language barrier. Use your camera, voice or keyboard to enter text you want to translate. Use Bing Translator on-the-go, even when you don't have an Internet connection. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Davy wrote: »
    HERE Transit - "Available in over 740 cities globally, this is the only public transit app you’ll ever need."

Does not seem to be available for all phone, does not like my Samsung,

For Ireland, only supports DART at present.

Advertisement