Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Diploma?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ruthie G

Hi,

I'm currently looking at different piano teaching diplomas and am very interested in going with lcm.... I have a Hon Bmus music degree and a grade 8 with RIAM....according to lcm syllabus I am able to skip Diplcm and do ALCM. Is this advisable? I have been teaching for about two years now....Just wondering if anyone has experience of skipping the diplcm and going straight to ALCM? Also what are employment opportunities like with only a Diplcm? Any advice would be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Covertheground

Ruthie G wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently looking at different piano teaching diplomas and am very interested in going with lcm.... I have a Hon Bmus music degree and a grade 8 with RIAM....according to lcm syllabus I am able to skip Diplcm and do ALCM. Is this advisable? I have been teaching for about two years now....Just wondering if anyone has experience of skipping the diplcm and going straight to ALCM? Also what are employment opportunities like with only a Diplcm? Any advice would be great!!

Hey just wondering if you have a grade 8 with RIAM would you be interested in continuing on with them and doing their diplomas? I know that the RIAM say that their leicintate qualifys for employment in secondary schools with a music degree from a recognised university so if that employment oppertunity appeals to you it is a nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ruthie G

Hey just wondering if you have a grade 8 with RIAM would you be interested in continuing on with them and doing their diplomas? I know that the RIAM say that their leicintate qualifys for employment in secondary schools with a music degree from a recognised university so if that employment oppertunity appeals to you it is a nice idea.

Thanks for the reply...yes I have looked at the RIAM diploma but I feel that I wouldn't be ready for it yet...maybe the Diplcm would be a bridge? Both RIAM and ABRSM seem to have a high failure rate compared with LCM thats another reason for me looking at their diploma as an alternative...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Covertheground

Ruthie G wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply...yes I have looked at the RIAM diploma but I feel that I wouldn't be ready for it yet...maybe the Diplcm would be a bridge? Both RIAM and ABRSM seem to have a high failure rate compared with LCM thats another reason for me looking at their diploma as an alternative...

I honestly dont know about the LCM as i have no experiance with them. But you are right about the ABRSM they are very picky all music teachers i know have stopped teaching ABRSM beacuse of That. If you wanted to do RIAM you could start with the associate as a bridge
    But whatever you pick you will do fine
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I did the Associate exams back in June. I passed the practical and the aural first time which I was thrilled with (was convinced I had failed the practical!) but have to retake the harmony/counterpoint paper. The comments given were that more in depth study of the grammar of this subject is needed. Can anyone recommend some books/tutors to work on? I am planning on re-sitting the exam in Nov/Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

anamaria wrote: »
    I did the Associate exams back in June. I passed the practical and the aural first time which I was thrilled with (was convinced I had failed the practical!) but have to retake the harmony/counterpoint paper. The comments given were that more in depth study of the grammar of this subject is needed. Can anyone recommend some books/tutors to work on? I am planning on re-sitting the exam in Nov/Dec.

Butterworth: Harmony in practice ..is good enough although you might need someone to correct the exercises..a few of the explanations are a bit scant but you can try the net from there..
    Get playing bach chorals too to get you in the mindset of 4prt...(although bach breaks de_rules too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Armelodie wrote: »
    Butterworth: Harmony in practice ..is good enough although you might need someone to correct the exercises..a few of the explanations are a bit scant but you can try the net from there..
    Get playing bach chorals too to get you in the mindset of 4prt...(although bach breaks de_rules too!)

Thanks for that. I think I need to find someone who is familiar with the standard required to correct my attempts. I have done a lot of practice but that's no use if I'm not improving

Ya might be necessary to find someone who specifically teaches for RIAM harmony/diploma...
    don't know if this site is still running but learnmusic.info lists teachers by area and speciality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pixiebel

Hi.
    I have checked out most Diplomas over time. I teach RIAM to Senior Cert, and change over to LCM after that. If you choose wisely you can overlap pieces you use in Senior Cert and use the same pieces for many of the Diplomas. Unless you have previous higher qualifications you need Junior cert/Leaving cert music or a grade 5 written paper from ANY school of music. Having done Senior Cert music will have the DIP.LCM a doddle. I had a student who did Senior Cert one day & Dip.LCM the day after, and did great on both. After that, if you want to teach you do ALCM in Teaching or Performance. All are very approachable. Personally I think you need a Degree in Music to face the RIAM Diploma! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 freshface2

How long does it take to do ABRSM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pixiebel

I found up to 2 years as it has a lot of different layers. Dip.LCM is a few pieces which you may have already, sight-reading and discussion about your pieces, your instrument, and the composers and eras you played from. A lot of this would be covered in he Viva Voce section of the Senior Cert. Therefore if you have Senior Cert done you are ready for Dip. except a pass in Senior is 60% and a pass in Dip id 75% For comfort you would want to be achieving mid 80s or up in grade 8 or Senior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Hi All,

Have done all Licentiates in Piano Perf/teaching from TCL, and RIAM way back in my early twenties, and all RIAM and ABRSM grade 8's, Advanced Certs etc.
    I also work regularly as accompanist/teacher etc. on a freelance basis. Also have a Masters etc.
    However, I am experiencing what I can only describe a burning desire to get back into some serious piano playing for myself, and would love to undertake a Fellowship, just for the challenge, and to get some decent repertoire under my belt again. As a mature student, would anyone have suggestions as to where I go from here? I am looking, not so much for a teacher, but rather a guide to mentor/supervise my progress, help me choose suitable repertoire and highlight shortcomings/resolutions in my technique.
    Would be very grateful for opinions. A useful thread, didn't know it was here until today!

wow thats a lot of letters after youre name...fair play. What area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Hi Armelodie,

I am currently in the Midlands area, and do believe our paths have crossed in another life!

Took out Beethoven's Waldstein today, sorted out the expo, in terms of fingering and some slow practice. It felt so good! Even the tactile aspect is so important!However, need to share my musical experiences, thoughts and insights. I have been raising my children, for the past number of years, and have not had time to think about playing seriously. That is about to change!

Advertisement