Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam psychological warfare

Options
  • 06-09-2013 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

The Wandering Soul was played on loudspeakers installed on helicopters, PCF boats or by infantry 'loudspeaker teams' on known enemy areas usually at night deep within the jungle.

"It exploited the belief among many of the Vietnamese people that once a person is dead the remains must be placed in an ancestral burial ground or that person will forever wander aimlessly in space. The tape was so effective that we were instructed not to play it within earshot of the South Vietnamese forces, because they were as susceptible as the Viet Cong or North Vietnamese Army"

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Comments

Seemingly the Americans did something similar against the Taliban, where they used sonic cannons to try and convince them that they're hearing Allah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Well I'll sleep well tonight...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Corvo wrote: »
    Well I'll sleep well tonight...

:(

I could not listen nor watch the entire clip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I think it's quite soothing.