Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a gun off taiwangun.com, I feel I got shafted. pics inside.

• 05-09-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi
    this past while iv really wanted a Aug a3, after searching for ages i settled with taiwangun.com. mainly that its built to stand up to 450FPS out of the box so everything in the gearbox must be of high quality, i figured with the downgraded spring i shouldn't have any problems with anything breaking,

so this is the gun

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/jg0450a

i ordered it 2 weeks ago, made a request that it be lowered to 300-318 but i wanted all the uprated gears, piston-head, hightorque motor ect still in the gun, just change the spring, they said this was no problem and done it at no extra cost,

it arrived the following week but i was working away that week and i only managed to open it tuesday when i returned home/

took it out firstly charged the battery for a good hour and a half, took it out filled up the mag fired a few rounds it was shooting really slow! like my bro has a spring pistol and its weaker than that! played with the hopup but made no noticeable improvement, after 20bbs the battery died. charged it again for another 2 hours but same 15-20bbs battery dead, i wrote to complain about the battery but realized it mentioned in the ad that the battery was not covered in warranty, so sucked it up and thought maybe its firing so slow because the battery was a dud,

further investigation showed that the battery dose not effect fps just rof. so knowing something was up i started investigating,

i couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the gun so i bit the bullet and disassembled the gearbox, i was not happy at what i seen, iv had a friend look at it and hes convinced that its a used gearbox... but im searching for opinions on this before i go further.

first off its a v.3 gearbox
    rkhr.jpg

took it apart to find one of the tabs for the spring guide where broken,

(sorry no photo of the spring guide)

then took out the chamber, piston and piston head,

the piston head is badly worn and deformed, (is this a reinforced directional piston head with bearing??)

6nc7.jpg
    l7cn.jpg
    j1pu.jpg

IMG]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/j1pu.jpg/[/IMG]

it has left deep scores all along the chamber,
    xe5l.jpg

and there is a nick missing off the piston at the reinforced peice.

2jng.jpg
    b5g4.jpg

0zof.jpg

screw attaching the piston and piston head is all worn where somone was at it...
    qcb6.jpg

like to me it looks a little worn to be brand new!!
    i wrote all my findings in a email to taiwangun and i got a 3 line reply this morning, the gun is brand new (not used) all guns are tested before leaving the shop, you opened the gearbox your warranty is void regards... :O

i never knew nor did i see anything that said opening the gearbox would void the warrenty!!

now im not too familar with these guns but i think this has been used, as dose my mate whos really into airsoft, but im looking for other opinions on this, fell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Regarding the piston head, any new JG gun I've seen (well over 200), have all had the heads in a similar fashion, they're cheaply made, but rock solid.

The spring guide tab could have been broken in your disassembly, not saying you did, but it's possible, happens all the time.

Most cheap cylinders I've seen, tend to have some sort of scoring along the inner wall, I've got 5 or six, new or barely used ones in my parts box just like that.

As for voiding your warranty for opening the gearbox - well that one's kinda on you. If you bought a new car and started feckin' about with the engine, you'd void the warranty.

However, in buying from Taiwangun, you accept their terms which state
    "Applicant declares that is fully aware of and will not be on this account any claim against KRAKMAN Spółka z Ograniczoną Odpowiedzialnością Spółka Komandytowo-Akcyjna (taiwangun.com) that make a modification, review, tuning, repair or other services related to undress a replica, it can leave traces of interference, such as traces of the use of screwdrivers, scratches in places where it is necessary elements to slide open the replica strip."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Basicly you read you were getting a upgraded gear reinforced gear box and got exactly what you paid for ,a bog standard jg Aug you could have bought anywhere
    A life lesson right there me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

First off, I'm sorry for your troubles mate. It's a pain in the ar$e anticipating a new gun only for it to be faulty upon receipt. However you shot yourself in the foot by opening it yourself. At the very least, you should have asked a shop/competent gun tech to take a look at it. That's the trouble of buying abroad. Little or no comeback if a gun is faulty. Irish airsoft shops are very competitive with their pricing and they'll order in anything you want if its possible. Bite the bullet (excuse the pun) and ask one if the Irish shops or a gun tech to rebuild the gearbox for you the way you want it. More money I know but at least you'll get the gun you want instead if a useless lump of plastic/metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

where are you based

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kashkai wrote: »
    First off, I'm sorry for your troubles mate. It's a pain in the ar$e anticipating a new gun only for it to be faulty upon receipt. However you shot yourself in the foot by opening it yourself. At the very least, you should have asked a shop/competent gun tech to take a look at it. That's the trouble of buying abroad. Little or no comeback if a gun is faulty. Irish airsoft shops are very competitive with their pricing and they'll order in anything you want if its possible. Bite the bullet (excuse the pun) and ask one if the Irish shops or a gun tech to rebuild the gearbox for you the way you want it. More money I know but at least you'll get the gun you want instead if a useless lump of plastic/metal.

He bought it from abroad, so it doesn't matter that he opened it, he couldn't "drop" it into anyone.

A local retailer here wouldn't give a fiddle if he opened it or not, if its not their product they wont care.

Airsoft equipment is the most scandalously built and horrendous quality product you could ever buy. OP doing himself a favour getting used to opening them up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gatling wrote: »
    Basicly you read you were getting a upgraded gear reinforced gear box and got exactly what you paid for ,a bog standard jg Aug you could have bought anywhere
    A life lesson right there me thinks

Well he said he bought it assuming that it would be durable because it is built to fire up to 400+FPS. Unfortunately the OP seems new to the game and might have made an error of judgement.

The premise that the gun shoots higher FPS abroad, so should last longer here only shooting at 1joule, is decent in theory but doesn't work that way in practice. Unfortunately sounds like you got a lemon which happens very rarely granted, but happens when buying a clone.

What I would suggest to the OP is when you open a gun and going back to a foreign retailer, dont mention you opened the gun ;) You wouldnt open a television set before going abck to the shop asking what the hell is wrong with it.

Looks like it might just need a new piston, JG Ver3 parts are cheap as chips, youll get that up and running for minimal cost. If your comfortable handling it , opening and reassembling, thats the hard part. Get yourself a new piston and whatever else looks ****e, and then just swop it in.

Have a look on adverts for lads shipping gearboxes or guns for parts. You should be sorted for less then €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

TheDoc wrote: »
    He bought it from abroad, so it doesn't matter that he opened it, he couldn't "drop" it into anyone.

A local retailer here wouldn't give a fiddle if he opened it or not, if its not their product they wont care.

Airsoft equipment is the most scandalously built and horrendous quality product you could ever buy. OP doing himself a favour getting used to opening them up now.

Perhaps I've been luckier in my experiences with Irish airsoft shops than you but the likes of Hobbyairsoft, AIrsofteire, the N11 shop etc have always helped me out even though I might not have bought the gun from them. In my experience, the local shops DO CARE as they are airsofters themselves and like the majority of people in our sport, they are dead sound lads (and lassies) who will help a fellow airsofter out if possible. The OP probably opened the gun himself as the costs of sending it back would have been prohibitive and more than it would cost to fix it locally.

As for your comment about the build quality of airsoft equipment, again maybe I'm exceptionally lucky but apart from a few minor niggles, all my gear has worked well "out of the box" and even my first aeg is still performing beautifully over a year after I got it and after many, many skirmishes and hours plinking in my back garden.

Have a little faith in our Irish airsoft shops. They have never let me down even when I brought in guns I'd bought second hand from private sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭TheHamster

I second that with the local lads n lasses, the guys at sg Airsoft gave me a couple of spares for a raider blowback that wasn't working. No charge, just handed the over as they were in his parts box
    Support the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Agree with supporting the locals - have had nothing but positive experiences and know from many other players that help as described by TheHamster is commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ali-d1936

where is a good place to get v3 parts iv been looking online and all pistons piston heads and cylinders are all v2? want to get everything made of the toughest stuff going so iv only to build this once :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

ali-d1936 wrote: »
    where is a good place to get v3 parts iv been looking online and all pistons piston heads and cylinders are all v2? want to get everything made of the toughest stuff going so iv only to build this once :D

Where are you based out of man, I have parts lying around here that are suitable.
    Almost if not all innards for v2 and v3 are compatible.

If your close I have plenty of bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Parts that are interchangeable to both V2 and V3 gearboxes are
    Pistons, Piston heads, Cylinders, Gear sets, Anti-reversal latches and Main springs

Parts that are not interchangeable to both V2 and V3 gearboxes are
    Spring guides, Tappet plates, Cylinder heads, Trigger blades, Trigger switches, Air-nozzles

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ali-d1936

thank-you for the info guys im located in Sligo, iv no problem paying for Postage or that for any items, so far what i want is a steel spring guide, i have a full aluminium piston bought, so now its just a pistion head and cylinder that i want but cannot decide what ones to get :/

also ill be needing a battery seeing as this one is goosed, what kind of batterys should i be looking for i seen on a youtube video that a 7.4 11000 mh battery would be best for these guns with the small compartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

ali-d1936 wrote: »

You do know that V3 is not better then V2. they are different types/shapes of gearbox.

Advertisement