Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU wonder why West infrastructure is being ignored

• 30-08-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Just read in the galway tribune that the EU sent a letter to the Dept of transport enquiring about why they haven't applied for funding for infrastructure projects in the west. They think the west never got a fair share of regional development funding in recent years and are urging them to apply for funds for the Atlantic corridor, rail corridor and more. Why the hell hasn't local govt pushed for this in the past....?

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1193-eu-has-to-beg-government-to-seek-funds-for-the-west

Comments

Will they also pay the many many millions a reopened western rail corridor would lose every year?

I'm going to take this with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Will they also pay the many many millions a reopened western rail corridor would lose every year?

I'm going to take this with a pinch of salt.

Granted I don't agree with the railway funding but some more money going into roads would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

yer man! wrote: »
    Granted I don't agree with the railway funding but some more money going into roads would be nice.
    Yeah, especially since all the plans have been drawn up for the roads. All they need to do is fund them.

I'm turned off going anywhere near Galway these days and usually only go in if I have to for work. Personally I avoid the place because the traffics always so bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

1. Unless some major changes take place in the economics of road/rail transport, I cannot see much point in opening services from Tuam to Sligo.

2. A better use might be a Cycle Greenway as from Westport to Achill - which is a great success.

3. Much investment is still need for roads - surprised if it has not been sought.

E.g. the N5 from Castlebar to Westport has been waiting for years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

A Luas type deal would be pretty cool. Out to where B&Q is by Knocknacarra into Eyre Square and out to Salthill. Another one going from Eyre Square out to the East of the city would be great too. The invest in affordable parking around the city. But that probably only made sense when the economy was good. Even then we didn't really have the volume. But still, pipe dreams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Curious that the EU should be trying to throw money at us. Still, perhaps we could avail of some new EU funds to undo the damage caused by the way EU funds were used in the past, such as this hideous blot on the landscape (and no, I don't just mean the sign).

I think this is the petition:
    Petition 836/2012 by Martin Cunniffe (Irish), on behalf of West On Track, on the
    lack of transparency and fairness in transport policy in Ireland
    Speakers: the Chair, Martin Cunniffee (petitioner), Helen Rochford-Brennan
    (petitioner), Paul O'Connor (petitioner), Peter Declan Bowen-Walsh (petitioner),
    Stephen Langley (Commission), Martina Anderson, Marian Harkin, and Jim Higgins.
    Decision: keep open; consider in light of the forthcoming fact-finding visit to Ireland in the
    second half of 2013; request a written opinion from the Committee on Transport and Tourism
    (TRAN); ask the Commission to provide figures on the breakdown of funds disbursed; send a
    letter to the Irish Minister of Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Curious that the EU should be trying to throw money at us. Still, perhaps we could avail of some new EU funds to undo the damage caused by the way EU funds were used in the past, such as this hideous blot on the landscape (and no, I don't just mean the sign).

(Slightly OT but) I'd also love to know why after all these years it is still called the Western Distributor Road. Can't anyone think of a name for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Pádraig Conneely Boulevard

snubbleste wrote: »
    Pádraig Conneely Boulevard

:D:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

galway needs a running track on the east side of the city. bloody disgraceful state of affairs for athletes to have to struggle through traffic out to dangan

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eeden wrote: »
    (Slightly OT but) I'd also love to know why after all these years it is still called the Western Distributor Road. Can't anyone think of a name for it?

Cos us foriegners can pronounce that. I also call bothar na dreath (however its spelt) the Eastern Distributor Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Cos us foriegners can pronounce that. I also call bothar na dreath (however its spelt) the Eastern Distributor Road.

Referred to by many as the Eastern Approach Road. Or the 'Ibis' dual carriageway (although not a dualler)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    galway needs a running track on the east side of the city. bloody disgraceful state of affairs for athletes to have to struggle through traffic out to dangan

they could always run to it. There were plans to build one in athenry but the bust put pay to that

they could always run to it.

Or not. I know someone working in NUIG who drives to Dangan to go for a run.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I laughed. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kinda like a racecourse for humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

We will probably be looking for a new airport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

They can do us a favour and just say "build that bypass ye were asking us about".:D

antoobrien wrote: »
    They can do us a favour and just say "build that bypass ye were asking us about".:D
    antoobrien wrote: »
    They can do us a favour and just say "build that bypass ye were asking us about.":D

So good you said it twice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Bridge across the Corrib at Knockferry...

Cost about 6 million.
    Would relieve traffic to the city
    Could connect communities of Ougtharard with Headford...
    Would making going from West City Galway to North Galway/South Mayo 20 min less during bad traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

nuac wrote: »
    1. Unless some major changes take place in the economics of road/rail transport, I cannot see much point in opening services from Tuam to Sligo.

2. A better use might be a Cycle Greenway as from Westport to Achill - which is a great success.

3. Much investment is still need for roads - surprised if it has not been sought.

E.g. the N5 from Castlebar to Westport has been waiting for years
    N5 Castlebar would be great. Funding has already been approved for the Greenway to extend to the National Museum in Castlebar.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They need to sort Ballaghadereen to Strokestown (or totally reroute) before any further west makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Bridge across the Corrib at Knockferry...

Cost about 6 million.
    Would relieve traffic to the city
    Could connect communities of Ougtharard with Headford...
    Would making going from West City Galway to North Galway/South Mayo 20 min less during bad traffic...

Does anyone know the situation with the Galway by pass and if it will ever go ahead.
    Roads improvements, rail and cycle lanes aside this is something that is a must for the city

Responsibility has been passed from the City to the County Council, I've heard, and I think they pretty much have to start from scratch. It should be a while...

Paddico wrote: »
    Does anyone know the situation with the Galway by pass and if it will ever go ahead.

They intend in having an application under IORPI to ABP by end of 2015. There are artciles in the two local city based papers published this week (and probably the other ones by the weekend).

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1738-council-renews-aim-to-have-bypass-open-by-2019

http://galwayindependent.com/20131113/news/bypass-by-2019-S27586.html
    Eeden wrote: »
    Responsibility has been passed from the City to the County Council, I've heard, and I think they pretty much have to start from scratch. It should be a while...

Not really - there may be some changes, might not be the exact same route (e.g. might have to change if they want to add a junction for the Tuam Rd as mentioned in one of the articles).
    “It may be on the same route, it may not,” he said, adding that the council had identified a number of areas where the original design my be improved, including providing a junction onto the Tuam Road.

I never understood why they didn't include a junction with the N17 originally

They did route selection in 2001, at the time it seems that there was no need for an N17 junction.

I hope what they do is to move the route enough so that they can put in a combined N17 & N84 junction with link roads between to the roads, rather than two junctions off the project.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expection was (and it looks like it will be the case) that the N17 would be an R-road by the time the bypass opened, due to the M17. Probably still needs a junction anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

The article is mis-leading. It says West of Ireland when really it means only Connaught. There is no case for rail in Connaught, it doesn't have the population density nor will it.

With regard to the Atlantic Corridor (a dual carriageway/motorway), the section that is most important is Cork to Limerick. I don't think EU funding covers this region as it's not part of BMW, but I could be wrong. This section is at least a decade off being built. The section North of Galway is irrelevant until this section is built. It's about priority.

Advertisement