Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl courses?

• 25-08-2013 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I recently finished college and as a result was hoping to apply for a tefl course. Could anyone recommend a good and reliable course that would not be too expensive and could guarantee me a job?

I'm hoping to get going soon after Christmas if everything goes acording to plan?

Could anyone recommend any good countries to teach? I was thinking either the UAE or Japan but any feedback is much appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mod Note : Thread moved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

con1421 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I recently finished college and as a result was hoping to apply for a tefl course. Could anyone recommend a good and reliable course that would not be too expensive and could guarantee me a job?

I'm hoping to get going soon after Christmas if everything goes acording to plan?

Could anyone recommend any good countries to teach? I was thinking either the UAE or Japan but any feedback is much appreciated

I did a TEFL about 3 years ago with i-to-i, which was okay. To be honest, if you come to Asia there really is a surfeit of jobs (not necessarily all good ones, but you shouldn't have difficulty finding work). In fact, in places like Korea, a TEFL is not even a prerequisite. Just a degree will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OutShout

I did one with TEFL courses Ireland, it was around 320 euro, but it was really good. 100 hours online, 20 hours in class. The in - class was great, and I really enjoyed it! There's discounts as well if you're a recent graduate, unemployed or a student! And you don't have to prove your status as any of the above! I think they have some summer sale until the 31st of august too! They have a job centre on the website too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

OutShout wrote: »
    I did one with TEFL courses Ireland, it was around 320 euro, but it was really good. 100 hours online, 20 hours in class. The in - class was great, and I really enjoyed it! There's discounts as well if you're a recent graduate, unemployed or a student! And you don't have to prove your status as any of the above! I think they have some summer sale until the 31st of august too! They have a job centre on the website too

Thank you for your reply. Are you an english teacher now? If so where are you teaching ? Also could, you recommend a country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OutShout

I am going to be an English language assistant for the year in Spain. I'm going to work with a company called Meddeas. I start in two weeks! You get paid 840 euro a month, and you only work 20 hours. My brother worked for them last year. He got on so well that the school asked him to stay on, and now he's an English teacher in a primary school in Spain and he gets paid as much/almost as much as any qualified primary school teacher in Spain! See for me, I would only be going to Germany or Spain, but that's because I speak both of the languages and want to improve my spoken languages. But, of course middle eastern countries pay their english teachers an awful lot. And just remember, if you do a TEFL course your not qualified to teach in Ireland! But some places would take you on with it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

OutShout wrote: »
    I am going to be an English language assistant for the year in Spain. I'm going to work with a company called Meddeas. I start in two weeks! You get paid 840 euro a month, and you only work 20 hours. My brother worked for them last year. He got on so well that the school asked him to stay on, and now he's an English teacher in a primary school in Spain and he gets paid as much/almost as much as any qualified primary school teacher in Spain! See for me, I would only be going to Germany or Spain, but that's because I speak both of the languages and want to improve my spoken languages. But, of course middle eastern countries pay their english teachers an awful lot. And just remember, if you do a TEFL course your not qualified to teach in Ireland! But some places would take you on with it. :)

Just checked out their website; seems like a decent offer with some good experience. Not to mention getting to spend that much time in Spain, which, despite its current malaise, is really a wonderful country full of wonderfully friendly people. Hope it goes well, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is TEFL Courses Ireland the best one? They have a sale on at the moment, thinking of going for it but not sure if there's better companies around the same price range? Around €280 for 120 hour course.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Anyone have a preferred TEFL course?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

thebuzz wrote: »
    Is TEFL Courses Ireland the best one? They have a sale on at the moment, thinking of going for it but not sure if there's better companies around the same price range? Around €280 for 120 hour course.

Looking at doing this course too.... can anyone advise if it's worth doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tina Tinita

Hi all,

Does anyone on here know when Meddeas stop accepting applications? I only say the job posting in the last few days...Also,how many interviews are conducted and do successful candidates choose where they get placed?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback you could give.

Thank you x

• Advertisement
Advertisement