Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling alone to Thailand

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Truley wrote: »
    I didn't get a chance to ask the person that spiked me im afraid!

Seems strange that you would have went to a hospital and had a toxicology report done and not even be told what was in your system :confused:

They told me what chemicals were in my system but couldn't narrow it down to the one drug, and the question in the first place also had no relevance anyway!

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Spiking drinks happens everywhere. Why one would use it as an excuse to not go to a place is beyond me., I am married to a Thai, have been there many occasions, and have seen many people of various ages travelling alone, so for someone to use it as a excuse to put someone else off is OOO imho.

Something to remember there though - BKK is huge compared to Dublin & obviously attracts both good and bad people. So take care, be alert and You'll be fine.

I wasn't using it as an excuse to put anyone off it happened me in my first night and I continued on for the next 3 weeks with my travels I'm just telling the op what my experience of a place was, not all experiences are good and they have a right to be told why happened fellow travellers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

I'm flying into bangkok in at 6:45 pm on Tuesday, I want to get to kao tao and do a dive course, could anyone tell me what's the easiest way to do this? Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm flying into bangkok in at 6:45 pm on Tuesday, I want to get to kao tao and do a dive course, could anyone tell me what's the easiest way to do this? Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

I'd say an overnight train/ferry package would be your best bet. Although if you're only arriving in Bangkok at 6.45pm you may miss the night train. Perhaps stay a night and a day in Bangkok then head down the next evening?

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Ko Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I'm going to be going to Thailand in September - just myself for 12 days - then meeting up with friends for the full moon party!

So any advise what to do in 12 days? Not being there before so looking for any and all advise on where to go and what to do? Full Moon party will give me my fix of beaches and parties so planing on staying away from that type of stuff - I'd be particularly interested in outdoor activities (Biking, Trekking and in particular Kayaking) and in going to archaeological/Historical sites.

I'm thinking maybe 2 days (1 night) in Bangkok will be more than enough to see the city?

I would like to get some Trekking in and maybe some rafting/kayaking so I'm thinking I should go to Chiang Mai (or maybe Chiang Rai) after Bangkok as the internet seems to suggest that's the best place for outdoors stuff. Should I be looking to orginise this type of stuff in advance or am I better off just show up and do it there (that would be my preference as I'd like to be flexible!). Any particular treks or cross country cycles recommended - don't mind if they were to be a few days long?

Anyone have any experience of kayaking/rafting (looking at Truley here as I know you do be on the Canoeing/Kayaking forum!)

Also thinking of going to Ayutthaya? Is that worth a visit?

Anywhere else I should look at that would provide the type of stuff I'm looking for? Don't want to overstretch myself as 12 days is not really that long - but at the same time want to try and cover as many highlights of the country as I can so trying to pick out what are the best places to go to now!

And finally thinking of doing a PADI diving course in Ko Pha Ngan when there for the full moon - anyone done that before? Any advise on providers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

OK, I am sure You accept not everyone has the same taste?

For me, I would spend a few days in BKK. I also would head to Ayyuttaya as it's an archaelogical dream, and a World Heritage Site.

I would then head up north for a few days to do some trekking in the mountains above CM or CR.

There is however one thing You MUST factor in....the weather! September is the height of the Monsoon rains, and flooding can occur especially around BKK at that time. You must keep a check on the English language newspapers there ( there are 2 excellent dailies - The Nation & The Bangkok Post).

As for rafting, sorry, not my scene, so can't advise You.

I also would suggest heading to to Kanchanaburi for an overnight stop, this is where the River Kwai is.

Best of luck though. You are going to what I regard as a stunningly beautiful country!

KenHy wrote: »
    I'm going to be going to Thailand in September - just myself for 12 days - then meeting up with friends for the full moon party!

So any advise what to do in 12 days? Not being there before so looking for any and all advise on where to go and what to do? Full Moon party will give me my fix of beaches and parties so planing on staying away from that type of stuff - I'd be particularly interested in outdoor activities (Biking, Trekking and in particular Kayaking) and in going to archaeological/Historical sites.

I'm thinking maybe 2 days (1 night) in Bangkok will be more than enough to see the city?

I would like to get some Trekking in and maybe some rafting/kayaking so I'm thinking I should go to Chiang Mai (or maybe Chiang Rai) after Bangkok as the internet seems to suggest that's the best place for outdoors stuff. Should I be looking to orginise this type of stuff in advance or am I better off just show up and do it there (that would be my preference as I'd like to be flexible!). Any particular treks or cross country cycles recommended - don't mind if they were to be a few days long?

Anyone have any experience of kayaking/rafting (looking at Truley here as I know you do be on the Canoeing/Kayaking forum!)

Also thinking of going to Ayutthaya? Is that worth a visit?

Anywhere else I should look at that would provide the type of stuff I'm looking for? Don't want to overstretch myself as 12 days is not really that long - but at the same time want to try and cover as many highlights of the country as I can so trying to pick out what are the best places to go to now!

And finally thinking of doing a PADI diving course in Ko Pha Ngan when there for the full moon - anyone done that before? Any advise on providers?

I did mine with Phangang international diving school (PIDS) we did one day pool diving and 2 days diving at a place called sail rock. All the scuba divers were dead nice it was one of the best things I did in Thailand. If you do go to PIDS its beside the bantai backpackers hostel, they also have a facebook page...you should ask for a guy called Luke hes from newcastle hes the best diver there and definately one of the nicest the whole thing cost me about €250 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

I'm doing two months in Thailand in Jan & Feb next year.. 2013..

Cannot wait.

But unlike my last time a few years ago this time I'm not
    bothering with moving around every few days to 'try to see
    everything..'

Couple of weeks on Phi Phi and five on Koh Phangan.

Now that is a holiday.

Anybody heading there at that time feel free to contact.

Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thailand is kind! Simple as that.

One of the best countries for travelling in and also one of the cheapest. Going back in Feb to study for a month and then its a question of how long until I decide to come home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

dont worry you will be fine,,,i went to thailand on my own,,i met two lads from westmeath by looking for a biro to fill my migration entry card so tagged along with them,,i can nearly say you will meet someone two or meet a gang of lads to tag along with,,,you can get all your accomo sorted there in the airport,,there will be guys coming up to you,,we were nervous at the start but ended up a good deaL ,,,loved thailand itself,,,make sure you get a full moon party in,,,,,

R019912 wrote: »
    Hi,

Gonna keep this short and to the point. I've been thinking of headin away in the summer of 2013 to Thailand for a few weeks. Only thing is, it will most likely be alone, as friends aren't particularly keen on it. Would appreciate a bit of advice/experiences on a few things.

1) Im 22 (and male). Will I be seen as sad for going it alone by the people over in Thailand? And what are people's experiences of travelling alone in general? Im not really majorly outgoing, but not shy either, so if its easy to get chatting to fellow backpackers in these types of places then that would be a bit of a boost.

2) Is it all a bit overbearing arriving in a really busy place like Bangkok, not knowing anyone, not being with anyone you know for company? Basically, will the feelings of loneliness outweigh and positive feelings about Thailand itself?

3) Is it safe to head there alone? Im a level headed lad and tend not to do anything stupid (I do like drinking a fair bit though)

Answers to these questions and any other contributions about going to Thailand would be appreciated. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Linda12206

Hey, R
    I'm going to Thailand next summer as well, and I already booked my flights. Will stay there for two weeks. If you wanna have a company, add me on skype linda12206, we can talk about it and work something out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Cheers for the replies so far everyone. Feel more optimistic about going. Only thing is, doubts are creeping in as to whether or not South america would be a better place to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firemouth

OP just do it,Thailand is brilliant,just got back on tuesday after a three week holiday.My only regret was not having more time.I felt much safer than in any major city or town in Ireland and found most of the Thai people to be friendly and helpful.I also travelled alone and to be honest I think its the way to go,not to sound selfish but you really get to do what you want to do rather just tagging along with a group but if its company you want its quiet easy to get talking to other backpackers and most people on their travels are delighted to meet new people and have a bit of banter.It was really a holiday of a lifetime for me and I cant wait to go back,I actually came on here today to see if I could get some info on a 12 month visa for next year!!Just do it you wont regret it,life is for living you only get one shot at it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

firemouth wrote: »
    OP just do it,Thailand is brilliant,just got back on tuesday after a three week holiday.My only regret was not having more time.I felt much safer than in any major city or town in Ireland and found most of the Thai people to be friendly and helpful.I also travelled alone and to be honest I think its the way to go,not to sound selfish but you really get to do what you want to do rather just tagging along with a group but if its company you want its quiet easy to get talking to other backpackers and most people on their travels are delighted to meet new people and have a bit of banter.It was really a holiday of a lifetime for me and I cant wait to go back,I actually came on here today to see if I could get some info on a 12 month visa for next year!!Just do it you wont regret it,life is for living you only get one shot at it!!

I totally agree with your sentiments re: Thailand, I visited there last year for my 1st trip and went back again this year, I absolutely love the place and plan to return there next summer for 3 months. It is great, the people, the culture, and most importantly the weather and lower cost of living there.

I reckon i'll go through with Thailand. Anyone who's traveled there before know who's cheapest to fly there with? I'm getting quoted 867 quid return, is this good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I reckon i'll go through with Thailand. Anyone who's traveled there before know who's cheapest to fly there with? I'm getting quoted 867 quid return, is this good?

Have a look at emirates, they have good prices at the moment, were flying to vietnam in march and paid €720 Dublin-Saigon via Dubai, fly to Bali feb of this year with klm cork via Amsterdam and refuel in Bangkok for €780..... We always go through the airline websites

Well its not terrible but its not great either,I paid a little over seven hundred but i was going just at the end of the season.Check both etihad and emirates most people I spoke with had used one of these.Expect to pay higher prices at peak times of the year.

That is too expensive, is it a direct flight from Europe with a legacy carrier? If so it is normal pricing. However you should be able to fly via the middle east and with China Airlines from Amsterdam for around €640 return.

Look up skyscanner.net, I have been to Thailand twice and my flights cost €640 & €660 each time. Flew with Etihad and Emirates, both airlines have since increased their prices alot however. €867 is too much and if you are flexible with dates you will get cheaper.

Stinicker wrote: »
    That is too expensive, is it a direct flight from Europe with a legacy carrier? If so it is normal pricing. However you should be able to fly via the middle east and with China Airlines from Amsterdam for around €640 return.

Look up skyscanner.net, I have been to Thailand twice and my flights cost €640 & €660 each time. Flew with Etihad and Emirates, both airlines have since increased their prices alot however. €867 is too much and if you are flexible with dates you will get cheaper.

Cheers for that I'm gettin 638 quid now on skyscanner. Is accommodation per night expensive? What are we talking like? I'm not fussy on quality really.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that I'm gettin 638 quid now on skyscanner. Is accommodation per night expensive? What are we talking like? I'm not fussy on quality really.

Thailand is a country which has some great accommodation and it really depends on the budget and the experience you want. I can't comment on Hostels as I haven't stayed in once since I was in one kip in Australia a while back.

I find you will get really nice Hotel rooms for around 800bt (€20) a night and very plush places for around 1400-1500bt (€35 - €40) and practically luxury for 2000bt (€50). agoda.com and asianrooms.com are good places to look. However in Thailand my strategy has always been to book the 1st and 2nd nights in advance and wander around and you will often find nice places for a cash price which might have no website or online presence. This year I booked 2nights on agoda and found a different nice hotel for 800bt and paid it in cash for the rest of the stay.

You can get some real low quality dives also so becareful, my biggest concern is always security I usually travel with a few grands worth of laptops, cameras, iphones etc. Got robbed of cash on my 1st trip to Thailand on a bus and that was kick in the guts but it was my own naivety and lack of travel streetwise as my 1st trip to Thailand was my 1st trip to the developing world and out of the comforts of typical European and US travel.

Is accommodation per night expensive? What are we talking like? I'm not fussy on quality really.
    there is a very broad spectrum of accomadation in Thailand,my budget allowed me to stay in some very nice places with all the mod cons but i did see signs for beds in dorms for 300baht and im sure if you tried you could probably find places slightly cheaper,just becareful because if its very cheap theres probably a reason.Try to find a place that has lockers for your stuff,a ceiling fan and some a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

How easy is it to make a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dpestish

I'll be heading to Bangkok either early august or early september if you wanna meet up for a beer. I'm 28 yrs old, first time to thailand. Cant wait. Looking for like-minded people to hang out with for a few days.

I'll be doing some sightseeing for sure, and a cycling tour or two, but i'm mainly there for the boom-boom!

I'd like to hit phuket and maybe cambodia as well as a good few weeks in bkk

Best price ive found for a return flight is around the 520 mark on expedia i think, maybe netflights

Lookin forward to hearing from ppl in the area at the same time

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Did 3 and a half weeks on my own in Thailand last month, currently in Vietnam. Thailand is a great country and you'll have no problems travelling by yourself. My only advice would be to always stay in hostels, not hotels. Also staying in dorms is a great way to meet people, so I'd advise doing a good bit of that even if your budget stretches to nice private rooms.

The only time I was lonely or homesick in Thailand were my first few nights in Bangkok where I had my own room in a budget hotel. I ended up in koh samui and had to stay in a dorm because everything else was booked. I met some cool people that I travelled with for a bit and never looked back. I only get a private room the odd time now, whenever I feel the need for a bit of space. Plus you save more money for buckets and Chang.

Just wondering if anyone is travelling to Thailand around October and would be up for meeting for a beer or two while there? Certain things beyond my control have meant I have to wait until October to finally go! Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snooples17

I did a one week intro tour to ease me into things, It was my first time travelling solo and i was only 20. i didnt want to do a tour for the whole time so a one week intro was perfect and having someone meet me off the plane. if anyone wants info pm me .

but dont worry thailand is amazing, if you can meet up with at least one other as you go your accomodation budget will be halved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I will be there mid-december (Chiang Mai) if thats any good to you.

I'm only after realizing that going in October could have been a very bad decision on my part. Naturally I was was looking forward to sun in Thailand. But I've only just read now online that I'm pretty much wasting my time going anywhere near the full moon party during October (which was my plan) as the weather is awful during this month. In fact, I've read that I picked a really bad month to visit Thailand, solely because of the horrendously bad weather. Can anyone with first hand experience of it shed some light on how bad it actually is in October? Should I be thinking of changing my flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I'm only after realizing that going in October could have been a very bad decision on my part. Naturally I was was looking forward to sun in Thailand. But I've only just read now online that I'm pretty much wasting my time going anywhere near the full moon party during October (which was my plan) as the weather is awful during this month. In fact, I've read that I picked a really bad month to visit Thailand, solely because of the horrendously bad weather. Can anyone with first hand experience of it shed some light on how bad it actually is in October? Should I be thinking of changing my flights?
    It is usually the wettest month. Just keep in mind that if you do decide to change your dates November and December is high season over there and things like hotels, day trips, transport, etc will be more expensive than they are during the summer.

Advertisement