Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Salty Bet (Never bet on DBZ)

• 08-08-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

http://saltybet.com/

No doubt you'll have heard of this site during Evo, but it's back and this time you're betting on random AI vs AI matches in MUGEN. It's seriously addictive.

Quick tip: when a Dragonball character shows up, always bet against them. Seriously, it seems like there's an unwritten rule in MUGEN that Dragonball characters must have practically non-existent AI.

So, what's everyone's biggest win so far? Mine isn't great at $330, but thanks anyway, Sailor Venus!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Another vote for this, it's like VGCW for those with short attention spans.

I won 300 dollars on Charlie. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

The odds are generated automatically based on how many people bet on which side. Due to this, I'm pretty sure there's means and tactics of beating the system and getting ridiculously high returns and you should almost never bet on a guy who is very likely to win. I can't be arsed to work it out properly, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

I seem to be unable to place bets, it tells me to sign in, but I am signed in already :/

Kanped wrote: »
    The odds are generated automatically based on how many people bet on which side. Due to this, I'm pretty sure there's means and tactics of beating the system and getting ridiculously high returns and you should almost never bet on a guy who is very likely to win. I can't be arsed to work it out properly, though.

I find betting small amounts (10- 20 dollars) against fan favourites will indeed eventually make your money increase. You can basically watch the stream chat explode and if you reckon the other guy has a chance, go for it. I've gotten 30:1 before doing so.

Of course FG players are going to go "I wonder if I..." and try to figure out a way to beat the system. It's what we all do :D
    Tweej wrote: »
    I seem to be unable to place bets, it tells me to sign in, but I am signed in already :/

That happened to me, I had to refresh a couple of times on chrome.

That happened to me, I had to refresh a couple of times on chrome.

My god, too much fun this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Everyone I bet on throws the match.

#Collusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

It's made it to the SRK front page:

http://shoryuken.com/2013/08/12/sodium-intake-an-interview-with-the-creator-of-salty-bet/

And as I type that, Popeye wins me $625. (Not my biggest win though: Mugetu, $703)

I'm in the salt mines... It is not a fun place

I figured out a minor "problem" that you can use to ensure you'll never be in the saltmines.

When you bet 1 dollar, if the bets go against you, you'll never receive less than 2:1 odds (I think, I don't do gambling- basically you always win a minimum of 1 dollar for a bet, so betting 1 dollar never gives bad odds) so over a period you should never lose money (it's a 50/50 bet and you should make as much as you lose).

However, if your bet happens to be for someone that others have bet against, you still get the GOOD odds.

So even if you get one good bet a night, you'll be sure to gradually increase your money.

Got to say though- this method is kinda boring, I did it for a night and it steals the fun out of it. Only time it gets hype is when you accidentally place a good bet and it looks like you're going to make 50 dollars off a random choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

It depends how it rounds out but it should be that if the odds are less than 1.5 : 1, then you actually win only 1 buck because it'll round down.

• Advertisement

Kanped wrote: »
    It depends how it rounds out but it should be that if the odds are less than 1.5 : 1, then you actually win only 1 buck because it'll round down.

Yeah that's what it does but you still win that one buck if you've only bet one. Seeing as its 50/50 even if you're just blindly guessing sooner or later you'll win good odds that'll earn you money, but never really lose any.

I was wondering if there was just a simple program to put a 1 dollar bet on player 1 every game. Would be fun to see what you come back to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I've really gotten into this recently. I'm terrible at it though...plus a lot of the games are very one-sided. So if I'm right with my bet I win $1. Fun to see close games (esp with potential winnings on it) or characters from childhood (let's go Garfield!)

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

lol I though you crazy B@stards were playing with real money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

stuck in work with nothing to do, this is great for passing the time....some ridiculous matchups :D

Advertisement