Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked windscreen after work done in garage.

• 19-08-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I sent my car into a main dealer to get something fixed. After I paid for the work done and sat into the car in the forecourt I noticed a considerable crack on the windscreen which wasn't there when I handed it in. I brought out a member of staff to show the damage done. He was covering for the head of the repair dept. who was on holiday. He told me to call back when that person had returned from holiday.

Has anyone ever had experience of something like this?

I just have an inkling that this is going to be very awkward to put right with them digging in their heels and refusing to fix it. It's only an inkling at the moment.

What are the chances of getting it sorted hassle free? Does it just depend on how honourable they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Most insurance policies include free windscreen cover that doesn't affect you NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

Same thing happened to me. They brought it round the back and then agreed to change it at their expense. They said they should have noticed if it was cracked before they started working on it. It was a work fleet car with a large garage so maybe that helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No way would I be claiming of my own insurance in a case such as this. You say it does not affect ncb but it is still listed as a settled claim come renewal time and will be recorded as a glass breakage claim on some of the history search sites.
    Insist that garage cover it themselves. They have insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mickdw wrote: »
    No way would I be claiming of my own insurance in a case such as this. You say it does not affect ncb but it is still listed as a settled claim come renewal time and will be recorded as a glass breakage claim on some of the history search sites.

Any time I've mentioned having a windscreen done the insurance companies haven't cared.

Never said that they cared but it's still there on record. Id certainly rather the claim wasnt there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Is it possible there was a crack already and lets say if/when they lifted car on a jack it got worse have seen that happen twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mickdw wrote: »
    I fail to see your logic over the years I have had about 5 windscreens replaced ( I do high mileage and are often around quarries etc) not one claim affected my policy

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

In hindsight I had nothing to worry about. Called back into them yesterday and they agreed to replace the windscreen themselves. They didn't even come out to have a look at the crack. (Different member of staff saw it the first time.) Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Is it possible there was a crack already and lets say if/when they lifted car on a jack it got worse have seen that happen twice.

No, I'm definite about this. Crack is in my eyeline. Wasn't even a scratch or beginning of a crack when I hasnded it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I hate cracked screens. I've had a few replaced over the years and new screen was always noisier than original. OP, some new screens also require plastic trim replaced so just make sure they do it properly.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    I fail to see your logic over the years I have had about 5 windscreens replaced ( I do high mileage and are often around quarries etc) not one claim affected my policy
    Well we will have to disagree.
    I would also guess that if you tell the insurers that you are claiming for a windscreen broken at the dealer that they may well not cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ted1 wrote: »

Insurers usually have a limit on the allowance for windscreen claims, both on the value of a claim and the total claims per policy duration (AXA restrict to €250 per claim, max €500 during policy).
    Why should the OP let those responsible for the damage get away scott free while he eats into his allowance and potentially leaves himself vulnerable should he genuinely need to claim later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭gussieg

this happened to me about a month ago. i left a car in to get windscreen wiper on driver side fixed, and when i went back a few hours later he said 'oh we didnt have time to look at it yet' . so i took the car back as i was in a hurry to fetch someone , and when i was sitting waiting for them, i saw the cracks were coming right from where the wiper was attached, and i couldve cried. As he had said they didnt work on it, he would have denied it happened there, and it would have been my word against his . Im not saying who it was, but it happened just opposite the Tesco in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Fair play to them for standing over it nd getting it sorted for you, plenty of places would do their best to get out of it. I remember dealing with the opposite, woman dropped her car in for work. Few hours later she arrives to collect it, goes into reception and tears strips off the woman behind the counter because we broke her windscreen she said. It was cracked when dropped in as I noted it on the jobcard. She still argued it was our doing and demanded a new windscreen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres always one chancer - Same thing happened us a couple of weeks ago - carried out a body repair to the rhf door of a vehicle. Lad comes in to collect it and starts shouting that there was more damage on it after we carried out the repair - lh door damaged, bumper damaged, tailgate damaged - all scratched by us apparently.

Luckily we had taken a video of the whole car when he arrived and again before repairing it and all his "extra" damage was quite visible in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You really need to cover yourself with videos or something these days, I don't know if it's people chancing their arm trying to get a free repair or something along those lines but it would put you off wanting to work with the public

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

surely when you dropped it off you signed paperwork and this would have included a diagram highlighting any existing damage on the car. If not noted there they cannot deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭gussieg

no paperwork signed at that garage, nor the one i took it to to get the windscreen and the original work that needed doing and a few other bits doing , but they did a great job and fixed it . not possible to edit or remove the end of my post, like you used to be able to do on boards before, as it is sorted now and paid in full, which wasnt easy.

Advertisement