Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Great" games that just never did it for you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Half-Life

With the exception of the fantastic opening segment it was just another generic FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oh and Minecraft..maybe that's just because i'm really uncreative and never have any clue what to do lol

I let my (then) 6 year old play that as I thought he'd enjoy it. He turned to me after a half hour and said: "Dada, why would I play this when I have Lego?" :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You people are crazy. How you can think Half Life 1/2 is overrated or generic is beyond me. Obviously this is an 'imo' thread, so fair enough, and it's all subjective...but come on!

As for me, i suppose the Pokemon series. They are fun, but i've never been able to get properly into any of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kiith wrote: »
    You people are crazy. How you can think Half Life 1/2 is overrated or generic is beyond me. Obviously this is an 'imo' thread, so fair enough, and it's all subjective...but come on!

As for me, i suppose the Pokemon series. They are fun, but i've never been able to get properly into any of them.

I adore the original Half Life and I only played it recently. I'm kinder to the sequel than I used to be but I still reckon it's got no business being anywhere near the upper end of a greatest games list.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

XCom - Bored the life out of me.
    Borderlands 2 - Pretty looking game but also pretty boring.
    Mass Effect 2 + 3 - Tried hard to get into them but just didn't do it for me at all.
    Agricola wrote: »
    Bioshock. Played the first one for 2/3 hours. The general setting, vibe, art style, plot just bored me. It just shouted "look at me, look at me, Im so artsy and cool" Left it. Recently tried Bioshock 2 - exact same result. Just does nothing for me. Ive decided against bothering with Infinite until its going for peanuts.

First time I tried Bioshock I hated it, lasted about an hour and it went back in the pile for a good 6 months. It's now one of my all time favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Crysis 1-3, just didn't see the "greatness" in the series. Just another fps game with above average looks.

Perfect Dark on the N64, meh. Just couldn't take to it.

Battlefield 3, just don't like the gun play mechanics at all. Just feel very disconnected to the weapons I'm using compared to other fps games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid 4: To be honest I'd hardly call this game great. Really didn't enjoy it and suspect it's only love for the series that blinds people to it's flaws. After MGS3 got everything right this one went back to MGS2 and all it's flaws, made those flaws worse and added it's own like pathetic boss battles.

Legend of Dragoon: Regarded by critics as either mediocre or one of the worst RPGs on the PS1. I'd go with the latter. It amazes me how many people can actually like this one and fans aren't shy about expressing their love for it. This game nearly put me off videogames.

Borderlands 2: I'm just not getting this game. Also filling your game with pop culture and internet memes is doesn't constitute comedy.

FFVII Crisis Core: I suppose this one is alright. However the battle system adds depth, random leveling up is ridiculous and the story is atrocious.

GTAIV: Boring missions, dull car physics and an open world that tires to restrict how much fun you can have in it. The attempts at a more grown up story were embarassing. Whoever signed off on the friends mechanic I hope isn't working in the videogame industry anymore.

Killzone 2: Actually all the Killzone series. Do people really like the single player in these games? Tiny closed in levels, terrible lack of variety in enemies and weapons and awful attempts at boss fights. It's just so dull and looks that way as well. I'm guessing people couldn't look past the graphics which actually aren't all that hot, it's easy to pack a lot of detail into your game once you severely restrict where the player can explore and keep the environments small.

Mortal Kombat series and Killer Instinct: Going to shove these two together. Both are absolutely terrible fighting game series that only get a pass due to their gimmicks, blood and silly dial a combos. The underlying gameplay mechanics are dull and simplistic by fighting game standards. There's no point playing these when there's so much better from capcom and SNK. I'll make one exception though, the latest MK is surprisingly brilliant.

Conker's Bad Fur Day: If you are under 15 you'll love this. The only thing this has is the running joke of a cute squirrel that got drunk. It's not funny at all and unfortunately the gameplay can't save it either, it's one of the dullest platformers on the N64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't great. It's really only one for the fans and even then most are agreed that it's pretty weak
    Half-Life

With the exception of the fantastic opening segment it was just another generic FPS.

It kind of defined the generic FPS though. Which is why it feels that way.

For me it's Xenogears and Chrono Cross. Both games had their qualities but I just couldn't stand the combat. I really liked Trigger so not being able to get into Cross was a disappointment.

Also, Spec Ops. When game critics praise a game for playing badly you know there's a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭damoPL

Call of Duty - Boring, repetitive and full of screaming 12 year olds. I actually enjoyed it a bit before MW3 but then again that might've been due to my age.

Skyrim - I bought it after seeing videos on YouTube and it had that familiar Fallout look that I love. Unfortunately got bored with it within a day and traded it in soon after.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - I bought Arkham City on release and I completely loved it, got platinum and all that. I then said I'll give arkham asylum a try but got halfway into the story and lost all interest in it.

Borderlands (the Original) - Bought it and got bored with it halfway through. Too many side missions at the one time as well as a must for grinding levels. None of my friends played it either. But then I got BL2 and I completely love it and still play it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Killzone 2: Actually all the Killzone series. Do people really like the single player in these games? Tiny closed in levels, terrible lack of variety in enemies and weapons and awful attempts at boss fights. It's just so dull and looks that way as well. I'm guessing people couldn't look past the graphics which actually aren't all that hot, it's easy to pack a lot of detail into your game once you severely restrict where the player can explore and keep the environments small.

Oh God yes!

Spent a tenner and felt robbed.

Also, dat cover system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

With regards to Half-Life, people need to remember when it was released and into what conditions. It defined the genre when it was released, but is like all FPS's nowadays. Story is still great though, and Alyx is still one of the most memorable companions in any game.

Anyway, to the games i don't like!

Halo Series
    Tried many times to get into it, but it bugs the face off me. Unless you want to spend the whole game lining up headshots, you've to empty 2 mags into the enemies. Really annoyed me, and stopped me from playing 3, wars, 4 and whatever else they're going to bring out.

Fifa
    Overly complicated soccer game which lost it's charm sometime after '98. One of the best soccer games i've played is International Superstar Soccer Deluxe - just great fun. Red Card was fun too. Fifa is boring.

Tropico series
    Tried a good few times to get into this, and i like (non-turn based) building sims, but this felt like a chore, do didn't continue after about an hour.

Final Fantasy series
    Any of them. I hate turned based combat. And while the rest of the game(s) sounded like it might have appealed to me, the combat stops me from playing any of them. I tried VII and XIII (because i got them both for free), but i just can't get passed the horribleness that is the combat.

Battlefield
    Now, it's only really the online that i don't like, the single player games can be fun. And i think what it is about the MP that annoys me is that the maps are too big due to people taking vehicles without waiting to give others a lift, leaving you to run for 2/3 minutes before bring picked off by a camping sniper or some coont in a plane who's spent way too much time flying the bloody things. And i won't say i hate it, i appreciate it for what it is and what it does, but it just doesn't do it for me. And i've tried it on the PS3, 360 and PC.

Pokémon
    I want to get into these games, but the turn-based fighting puts me off. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GTAIV: Took all the fun out of the series, you either love or hate the car mechanics, I thought they were good but the endless chauffuer missions and social bowling and dates ruined it. Include those things if they don't affect the player in any way, fine, but making them detrimental if you don't complete them was a pain in the ass. No parachute was a silly mistake as well, looks like GTAV is going to put the fun and mayhem back into the series.

MGS4: Hideo Kojima isn't half the writer/director he thinks he is, garbage dialogue and insane amounts of exposition and waffley political rambling where the gameplay should be.

Bioshock Infinite, loved the setting, looks gorgeous, great voice acting, but meh, I just didn't take to it, I'll revisit at some point I was playing other games at the same time and maybe I just didn't give it the attention I should but I got sick of the combat after a few encounters, gave up halfway through (I know the ending is revered so want to see it for myself at some stage)

Halo, I played the first, which was a breath of fresh air for console fps games, played half the 2nd which was rubbish and completed Halo 3, which had it moments but The Flood, the worst enemy in the history of video games, ruined it. Any levels based around fighting them is an absolute chore to get through. Boring world as well, grey corridors everywhere.

Can't agree with Half Life being called a generic fps, maybe now you can see it that way but in 1998 it was anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Half Life 2: Might have been cos I didn't play it when it was released, but could't get into it at all. Was rather bored by it and stopped after a few hours.

Batman: Arkham Asylum and City: I played Asylum for a good bit but never bothered to finish it, and got City and got bored within an hour as it felt quite similar.

Bioshock: Have 1 and 2, but never even tried 2 as I got so bored by 1. Was a nice looking game and was a cool idea, but combat felt meh.

Borderlands: Still don't understand how people consider it a good game, thought it was an absolute mess.

Civ 4: Possibly cos I expected something much different and had been comparing to Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis, but seemed lacking in comparison to those games.

The Witcher 1: Couldn't get past the combat, wanted to love the game cos the story seemed interesting, but combat was just too bad. Loved The Witcher 2 though.

Zelda and Mario games: I don't mind these on handheld devices, but was never able to get into them on home consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BF3. Bought in the EA humble bundle and I really don't see what the big deal is. There is no teamwork at all and the vehicles and weapons have a very disconnected feel. And all the maps are too small. Maybe I've just been playing too much Arma, which is far superior in all most every way imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

When was Crysis ever considered great? The first one was super pretty but was a fairly inspired shooter compared to the original Far Cry. It even made the same mistakes as that game. The sequels are just meh.

I've had similar issues as others with Bioshock. Loved envy thing about them except the actual gameplay. Infinite was better but forgettable in comparison to the narrative and interaction with Elizabeth. I'd happily just walk around those worlds and not bother with combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Fallout3 - it's sooo clunky it hurts, plays like a game twice its age....

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

All the Metal Gear Solid games. I keep trying them and I keep disliking them.

Last of Us. The story is great but I'm not enjoying the gameplay as much as I thought I would.

Halo. Always seemed so poor to me and nothing compared to PC FPS games. Deus Ex, Soldier of Fortune, No One Lives Forever were out the year before, then Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Undying, Aliens Vs Predator 2 were out the same year as Halo.

Oblivion. Although I am enjoying Skyrim.

Anything Killzone.

GTA San Andreas. I loved Vice City but I couldn't enjoy San Andreas. The eating healthy and exercising requirements, ugh.

Devil May Cry. I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Forgot to add Bayonetta. Played through the whole thing and hated every second of it. I stuck with it because of the high praise it got ,but it just bored and frustrated me in equal amounts. Only good thing about it was that I had it completed in under 6 hours.

I agree with above about Metal Gear Solid Series. Could never understand peoples fascination with it. Some of the gameplay was decent enough but the story and long dialogue sucked the life out of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Meatwad wrote: »
    Assassins Creed 3 was wayyyy over rated.I was a fairly big fan of the series but the 3rd one had turned me off from ever buying another one.

World of Tanks.I can't understand peoples fascination with it. It bored the ****e out of me and the graphics are dull.It reminds me of a real old man or Dad game but yet millions of people are addicted to it.

I wouldn't hesitate to say AC3 was the worst in the series. AC1 had problems, but it still was a hell of a lot of fun IMO. AC3 just felt like a grind trying to get through the story as opposed to having any real fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I wouldn't hesitate to say AC3 was the worst in the series. AC1 had problems, but it still was a hell of a lot of fun IMO. AC3 just felt like a grind trying to get through the story as opposed to having any real fun.

The game killed off my interest in the Assassins Creed series especially given Revelations was quite disappointing as well.

It was very buggy and the setting was boring. I think American history is quite boring to a non-American so just didn't care less about the story.

I hope the next installment might go some way to reviving the series but not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mario 64- its peoples pride and joy but i found the candle burn out fast

Red Dead Redemption - did not grab me that i thought it would.

Portal 2-did not like the jokes at all and prefer the game to be puzzle based than a exploration game

Zelda Skyward Sword- linear , story was not interesting and boss fights were terrible

Mario Kart Series- too slow for my liking

Uncharted 3- the series starts to shows its a one trick pony , its a reboot and a change of direction

Assassin Creed 3- absolute boredom and game does not pick up till half way through the game and even then its just the same old formula that needs to be revised.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The game killed off my interest in the Assassins Creed series especially given Revelations was quite disappointing as well.

It was very buggy and the setting was boring. I think American history is quite boring to a non-American so just didn't care less about the story.

I hope the next installment might go some way to reviving the series but not holding my breath.

The best thing about 3 for me were Desmond's sequences. For me it really showed how cool a game based on him in the modern day could be, the platforming section climbing the building was just so much fun.

Same though, I'm not really excited about 4 at all. Everyone seems to be creaming themselves because it's pirates, but I really couldn't care less about the ship combat in 3 and I'm really worried 4 is going to have too much of that and not enough of what the series was good at. But this is sort of OT so movin' on... :P

Grand Theft Auto Vice City: Maybe it's because I got Vice City and San Andreas on the same day and played SA first, but I could never get into VC. The controls just felt awful and arcadey (my most loathed feeling in games) and the missions were just kind of meh. I loved the setting and soundtrack, but just didn't get drawn in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Assassins Creed 2: Bought it thinking it would tide me over until the new Hitman game came out. Dull, repetitive missions IMO. Thought the controls were pretty crap.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Loved the previous three but couldn't warm to this one. Major let down was: Take 2 steps *Suddenly cutscene!* Take a few more, maybe kill a guard *Cutscene!*

Pretty much any Final Fantasy or JRPG: Can't stand turn based combat and all the attributes that need to be balanced etc.

Far Cry 2: Enjoyed it. Just didn't like the respawning enemies and the weird AI. Try to go stealth? Forget it! The enemies can sense you coming before you're even close!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

minecraft for me,just cant get my head around the graphics,im normally not that shallow when it comes to the look of a certain game but i felt like i was going blind playing this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Gonna add another notch to Skyrim in this thread, dont really know why but I just cant get into it. I played Oblivion to death, hundreds of hours poured into it. I also love mountainous, snowy scenery so thought it would beright up my alley, but the game was just dull for me. Maybe it was the combat, enjoyable way back in Oblivion, but having played Demon Souls in between them made the basic "wave sword in front of you a few times and enemies may or may not die" combat in the Elder Scrolls games seem lackluster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Deus Ex
    Dota/LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Assassins Creed
    Uncharted Series
    GTA

I don't know why, just could never finish any of the games in these series, just ended up getting bored half way through. Saying that im still quite excited for GTA5...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

GTA IV. While I enjoyed it, it was still a big disappointment. I expected so much more. If it didn't have GTA in the title it wouldn't be on this list, but it just wasn't the GTA I knew and loved.

Halo series. Never liked the maps, the setting, the bunnyhopping, the super high health/low damage. The game just frustrates me.

The Witcher 2. Some raving reviews since release. However, it seems that 9 out of every 10 people who listen to a recommendation and play it are overwhelmingly disappointed. Invisible barriers, clunky inventory (imo), hack 'n slash combat turned me right off.

A lot of people mentioning Skyrim, personally I loved it. Probably my favourite game of the last 2 years, but that is largely down to my love of the high medieval fantasy setting. I saw an analogy a few days ago which I thought hit the nail on the head regarding Skyrim: "An ocean with the depth of a swimming pool".

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

AC3, couldn't even bother to get past the first hour, I admit I bought into the hype but I didn't think that it would fall so flat on its face. It felt like so much of a grind even in the first half hour, tis a pity as I loved AC2 and the others.

Oblivion, I'll admit that I played this after Skyrim which I loved, but the UI and the combat system quickly turned me away from the game.

Final Fantasy 13 I loved the others but just the huge chore it is to even get into the game as the extreme difficulty spikes in certain areas, still haven't gotten past Barthendelus.

There's probably many others to add to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Ah yes Halo as well..always found that massively overated
    and the Gears of War series

Advertisement