Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Great" games that just never did it for you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

GTA IV one of the biggest let downs of this generation, I really tired to enjoy it but I just couldn't. It just felt soulless and had no character.

Oblivion after numerous tries I could never get in to it, I think the repetitive oblivion gate sections were to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lost Planet. Christ I can't get into that game at all. I get to the first boss sequence, and end up just leaving it at that.

Minecraft. Just because.

Skyrim. It just doesn't hold my attention. I've rerolled a char about 5 times now, and I drift off.

DOTA2. I want to like it. I want to know how it works. But **** me, it just doesn't grab me and shake me and make me think "Holy ****, that was fun!"

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Most recent one for me is Sleeping Dogs, it feels pretty dull, and the missions and combat aren't really doing anything to change that opinion so far.

The Witcher, the combat did nothing for me, felt really labored and unenjoyable.

I never really got into Deus Ex: Human Revolution as much as some of my friends did, and they thought it was the best thing ever.

And I never really got into the whole 'best game ever' opinion about the Half-life series, I never felt like anything special. I enjoyed it, but I don't consider it as one of the best series of games I've played.

And a game that was never really going to be considered 'great', but fell far below my expectations is Test Drive Unlimited 2, especially since I enjoyed the first one a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Assassins Creed. Just never got into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

LBP - found it downright childish.

Deus Ex: Thought it had a good premise but the gameplay didn't quite hook me so it's still sitting there gathering dust. Will go back to it eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

CoD..yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

For me I could never get into Resident Evil, Final Fantasy or Zelda. They are just too slow too much time taken just walking/talking. Oh and racing games (excluding Mario Kart) I get very bored just racing a car around a track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Having a flick through this thread and I'm just finding all of the games I love. FFVII, Half-life 1/2, Deus-Ex, the GTA series, the Witcher, Skyrim, Borderlands 2....

Finally someone mentioned Bayonetta. That was a game so, so many people recommended to me especially since I liked the DMC series. I probably only played it a year after it came out and I just found it so boring. Lovely graphics, I must say. But I just spent my time button bashing (which I hate doing, but I almost felt like I had to..?), and cursing the game for its boring story and gameplay. I constantly think I'm wrong and that I need to get back to playing it so I can give it a chance.

Assassins Creed is one I would have to partially agree with. The first Assassins Creed looked magnificent but I grew bored of it's repetitive quest nature after the second or third assassination. Along comes Assassins Creed 2 which I thought was light-years of the original. The game had evolved and developed so well. I did think the game got repetitive after a while, but I did enjoy it for the most part. Next up, AC Brotherhood. I felt like I was playing AC2 all over again. I think I lasted two or three hours before I turned it off. I haven't been able to get back into the series since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Notorious wrote: »
    Finally someone mentioned Bayonetta. That was a game so, so many people recommended to me especially since I liked the DMC series. I probably only played it a year after it came out and I just found it so boring. Lovely graphics, I must say. But I just spent my time button bashing (which I hate doing, but I almost felt like I had to..?), and cursing the game for its boring story and gameplay. I constantly think I'm wrong and that I need to get back to playing it so I can give it a chance.

What you need to do is stop button bashing and just start messing around with combos, cancelling strings half-way, and see how silly you can make it.

I wouldn't call the story boring myself. Insanely silly, yes. Over the top, of course. But boring?
    How can you be bored of a sassy, leggy witch fighting the heaven-spawn?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    minecraft for me,just cant get my head around the graphics,im normally not that shallow when it comes to the look of a certain game but i felt like i was going blind playing this game.

Install the shaders mod and be amazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Skyrim: Ultimately I think it's a shallow game. A lot of the so called depth are pretty simple addiction mechanisms.

I was addicted but when I stopped playing it I realised that I had wasted 75 hours of my life doing something I didn't enjoy very much.

It's ok but I think they spent too much time making this enormous pretty world and loading it with various mechanics but didn't spend enough time on actually making most of those mechanics interesting.

Witcher 2:
    All about the combat. I'm not that discriminating with story so I didn't mind that.
    I couldn't get past the combat however. It was kind of cool but I just think that they didn't pull it off. Apparently there's some new mod that changes it completely so I made get that and have another go off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm quite surprised to find so many people didn't like Bioshock Infinite. I thought I was the only one. While it looked great and the voice acting was brilliant, I just felt the story was trying too desperately to be emotive and unique, but ended up being quite generic and clichéd.

Final Fantasy VII is one that stands out for me. There's not a single aspect of it that I liked. It was just a painful experience to go through. I think the main reason is that at the time, I had been playing Ultima 7 on PC and to go from an open world to something that felt like an awkward point & click adventure was a huge step back for me in terms of RPG's.

I also hated Half Life 2, possibly because it was when Steam was first released and it took me longer to install the game than to finish it, and I was just bitter. But I also found that it lacked any of the fun and excitement from the previous game and lacked a cohesive story. It wasn't until Episode 2 came out that I felt they really got back into the swing of things and I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Forcing myself to play the Witcher 2 right now and wondering how much longer I'll last.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy VII: I'll never understand why this gets the praise it does. Very simplistic battle system, grammatical errors, racism and a very dull plot after the wonderful Midgar opening somewhat ruined it for me. It's a fun game with a wonderful soundtrack but nothing special, especially when compared with Final Fantasy VI.

I'm definitely not a FFVII apologist and do think in everything it was a massive step back from FFVI and the only 'safe and dull' entry in the series but I can't call it a bad game since it's still a lot of fun.
    snausages wrote: »
    For me it's Xenogears and Chrono Cross. Both games had their qualities but I just couldn't stand the combat. I really liked Trigger so not being able to get into Cross was a disappointment.

Don't feel bad about not liking these games, back in the 32-bit era lots of JRPGs got over rated, just look at the fans of utter rubbish like Legend of Dragoon. Xenogears is a badly written game with a messy battle system that only gets a lot of love because it ripped off Evangelion and came out at the height of Eva-mania. There's so many face palmingly badly written moments like the 'soylent system'. I wonder what that thing does, so deep!

Chrono Cross as a sequel to Chrono Trigger was a travesty. However take it as a fan fiction sequel to chrono trigger and... well it's got the worst story out of Square until Kingsom Hearts showed up and a experimental but dull battle system.

Both funnily enough were made by the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Any FF game after X...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

I have a feeling I may get lamasted for this but...

ICO - I'm sorry I just didn't get it. I found it tiresome, uninteresting and bland all around. Really did absolutely nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't feel bad about not liking these games, back in the 32-bit era lots of JRPGs got over rated, just look at the fans of utter rubbish like Legend of Dragoon. Xenogears is a badly written game with a messy battle system that only gets a lot of love because it ripped off Evangelion and came out at the height of Eva-mania. There's so many face palmingly badly written moments like the 'soylent system'. I wonder what that thing does, so deep!
    The other two reasons:
    KOSMOS.png

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Polar101

Nothing that hasn't been said yet, but..

GTA IV - like a GTA game without any of the fun. Pretty much every mission was 'drive there, shoot everyone, escape the cops'. Add to that (one of) the worst controls seen in a modern console game, and a 'now even morons can play it' -type design attitude ("You have found a GUN. You can use it to SHOOT enemies").

Witcher 1 - the 'mature' setting didn't seem too great, at least I felt it was aimed for 14-year old boys. And the combat was a dull quick time event, which killed a lot of the enjoyment for me.

Half Life 2 - not a big FPS fan so never even finished the single player story. I didn't really dislike it, but I didn't get excited over it either. However, unlike the previous two examples, I can at least understand why people like the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

funny how a lot of the 'dissappointing' games are sequels, a lot of people who generate the hype for these games are relative newcomers to gaming. I remember the jump from doom to quake - it was mindblowing. sequels these days tend to be more evolution than revolution - a few graphical tweaks etc etc. for a person new to a series, that entry is the best thing since sliced bread. to someone who'd played the previous 4, its a case of more of the same.

case in point. I started playing Call of Duty this year, and i'm having an absolute blast, I've over 225 hours logged so far, and I'm amazed at the amount of game modes & creativity in it. - go on any forum and all you'll see is people moaning about how "x has been changed and y is now broken and its the worst ever blah blah blah"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The other two reasons:

:pac:

She's from Xenosaga, not Gears. Which is actually one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

All of the Fable games. I still haven't a clue what the point of each game was. Exceptionally boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Mass Effect for me. Played it up until Citadel Station and I just couldn't be arsed picking it up again. I just can't see what the big deal is

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Mass Effect for me. Played it up until Citadel Station and I just couldn't be arsed picking it up again. I just can't see what the big deal is

Skip the first one and go straight to the second. The first Mass Effect was terribly boring and dragged on and on in later stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Skip the first one and go straight to the second. The first Mass Effect was terribly boring and dragged on and on in later stages.

Oh yeah? I might do that. I've tried to play the first one twice and got bored around the same point both times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I wouldn't do that. I'd watch a HD walkthrough on youtube of the first game first. You can skip the gameplay that way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Can't say I recommend that. It's pretty important for the story to play through the first one.

Perhaps a video walkthrough on youtube might be a good option? That way you get to experience it without getting frustrated. Not the same as playing it but better than just skipping to 2.

There are some cool guys out there who edit out the boring bits and just leave all the dialogue/cutscenes intercut with some cool gameplay action.

Edit : Apparently me and Snausages think alike :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Deus Ex and Dragon Age, they just didnt grab me at all and I dont think ill ever get around to finishing them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mario. Tried it as a kid and just couldn't get into it. I've no idea what the fuss is about.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

snausages wrote: »
    She's from Xenosaga, not Gears. Which is actually one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. :(

I couldn't call it the worst ever. The second one is worse :) and of course, Legend of Dragoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Like others have said in this and every other thread of this nature GTA IV is the most obvious one that comes to mind. I think serious questions need to be asked around the integrity of the perfect score many reviewers gave it because I don't know anyone who'd defend them.

Elsewhere, there's plenty of current gen western games that I've never really understood the fans acclaims for. Mass Effect is a typical "not my kind of series" but Arkham City is strange since I really enjoyed Asylum and didn't get why people viewed the sequel as superior or even close to the originals quality. I thought a lot of the decisions were step backwards for it, especially the open world with plenty of questionable DLC decisions that seemed like they were cutting content to resell. Combat had a sense of Deja Vu too.
    For older games Half-Life and Final Fantasy Tactics are "classics" I never really had any sort of base attraction to even though I liked Deus Ex and Fire Emblem at around the same time.

Advertisement