Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godless students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mickrock wrote: »
    What factual knowledge do atheists have about, for example, how life could have originated by accident from inorganic matter and how DNA could have come about?
    What factual knowledge do theists have about the matter?

Note, I'm looking for factual knowledge, not myths and legends written 3 millenia ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The latter half of mickrock's username is appropriate when it comes to discussing evolution.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What factual knowledge do atheists have about, for example, how life could have originated by accident from inorganic matter and how DNA could have come about?

None, just hope and belief that one day it'll all be figured out. They have faith in the fairy tale that chance and physical laws will be adequate explanations.

Why don't you go do a lit review of the scientific literature and let us know. Have you ever read a Journal paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

seamus wrote: »
    What factual knowledge do theists have about the matter?

Note, I'm looking for factual knowledge, not myths and legends written 3 millenia ago.

Neither side has any factual knowledge of what happened but the more reasonable explanation or inference would be that intelligence was involved.

To rule out an intelligent cause at the outset just because you don't like the idea would be short sighted.

Knowing what we now know, saying that life and DNA just happened by accident would be like saying it happened by magic. The idea that it happened by accident is more ridiculous than the idea of an intelligent cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Neither side has any factual knowledge of what happened but the more reasonable explanation or inference would be that intelligence was involved.

To rule out an intelligent cause at the outset just because you don't like the idea would be short sighted.

Knowing what we now know, saying that life and DNA just happened by accident would be like saying it happened by magic. The idea that it happened by accident is more ridiculous than the idea of an intelligent cause.

It's not that we don't like the idea, it's that there is absolutely zero evidence for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I wonder what the answer would be if they posed the question "When was the last time you went to mass on your own volition?"

I doubt they'd get a 10% positive response to that.

kylith wrote: »
    It's not that we don't like the idea, it's that there is absolutely zero evidence for it.

There's zero evidence for abiogenesis, yet it's accepted by many as what must have happened. I'd call it wishful thinking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok, lets ignore ALL the evidence and go with what you are saying,

The intelligence was Gaia, the christian god is all a lie and its utter nonsense and Gaia is far older and she created life on earth. Uranus created the galaxy's and stars.

Happy now? No?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

There's zero evidence for abiogenesis, yet it's accepted by many as what must have happened. I'd call it wishful thinking.

This post overwhelmed me with Deja Poo.

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

but accepting the idea of an intelligence, that has no proof of their existence, created matter from nothing isn't?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mick, you've been asked time and again not to assume that everybody shares your thundering cluelessness of biology.

There are people who have studied this stuff and have come to reasonably reliable answers on it, even though you're unaware of them and their work and knowing that you have no interest in either.

If you'd like to improve the rep of creationists here -- and heaven knows, it could hardly be worse -- you could try to remember these facts for longer than the time it takes to do a really, really long fart.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

But the intelligence is magic right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

kylith wrote: »
    I mean Mammys filling in the census on behalf of their children and putting them down as Catholic regardless of the young person actual stance on religion.

Last census we had reports on here of parents changing what their children had put down, putting them down as RCC even though their child had told them not to, that kind of thing.

My mammy does this despite the fact she knows I'm an atheist...

Haven't lived at home since I was 17.....I've been renting and move a lot so it's easier to get sh*t sent there....

koth wrote: »
    but accepting the idea of an intelligence, that has no proof of their existence, created matter from nothing isn't?

I'm talking about the origin of life from matter, not the creation of matter. That's a separate issue.

If something has the appearance of design the default position should be that it was designed, unless it can be shown otherwise. As time goes on it's becoming increasingly clear that ways of trying to explain the appearance of design by undirected, unintelligent means are looking weaker and weaker.

If something has the appearance of design the default position should be that it was designed, unless it can be shown otherwise. As time goes on it's becoming increasingly clear that ways of trying to explain the appearance of design by undirected, unintelligent means are looking weaker and weaker.
    Mick, you've been asked time and again not to assume that everybody shares your thundering cluelessness of biology.

There are people who have studied this stuff and have come to reasonably reliable answers on it, even though you're unaware of them and their work and having no interest in either.

If you'd like to improve the rep of creationists here -- and heaven knows, it could hardly be worse -- you could try to remember these facts for longer than the time it takes to do a really, really long fart.

Scientists have many hypotheses, none of which meet criteria to be accepted. In summary, scientists do not know yet. No fairy tale. No faith. Not enough evidence.

Given a choice of magic man in the sky or inorganic matter forming life over a very large period of time under some currently unknown circumstances, I choose the latter as more likely given the balance of probabilities.

Not knowing answers is not a weakness.

You say not knowing answers is not a weakness.

Likewise I don't see the idea that it might have an intelligent cause to be a weakness either, as you seem to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You don't see because you are doing your level best to ensure you remain blind :(

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I'm talking about the origin of life from matter, not the creation of matter. That's a separate issue.

No, you're not.

Humans seem as if designed, ergo designer.
    Earth seems designed as it supports human life, ergo designer.

The designer(s) of Earth and humans also seem designed (because humans are).

The universe must be designed to support the Earth-designers.

And so on, ad infinitaum. You're kicking the can down the road. At some point you have to have life that arose without a designer. Otherwise, you're putting forward "God did it".

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Isn't it your position, as a christian (I assume), that the entire universe moves exactly to gods plan, that literally everything is designed. So what frame of reference would you have to recognise something that isn't designed? If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

btw, now that this has deteriorated into discussing creationism, any further creationism-related posts will be moved to A+A's god-did-it thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    btw, now that this has deteriorated into discussing creationism, any further creationism-related posts will be moved to A+A's god-did-it thread.

Fair warning! All subsequent posts about creationism/ID were moved to the above address.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nice to hear god has designed such a good system of dealing with creationism. Praise be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

lazygal wrote: »
    Nice to hear Mod has designed such a good system of dealing with creationism. Praise be!!

FYP. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    FYP. :)
    lazygal wrote: »
    Nice to hear god has designed such a good system of dealing with creationism. Praise be!!

With a lower case 'g' - such a modest Mod too.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    With a lower case 'g' [...]
    It's traditional around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

These threads are always hilarious, consisting of the stamping of feet and posters condescendingly declaring "people are atheist; they just don't know it/haven't got the balls to admit it."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

These threads are always hilarious, consisting of the stamping of feet and posters condescendingly declaring "people are atheist; they just don't know it/haven't got the balls to admit it."

Ok, when 50% claim to be catholic yet80% agree with something directly against catholic teachings, how do you describe the discrepancy?

You see condescension, I'd say most people see frustration at the influence of a ridiculous organisation over our society for no good reason.

Ok, when 50% claim to be catholic yet80% agree with something directly against catholic teachings, how do you describe the discrepancy?

You see condescension, I'd say most people see frustration at the influence of a ridiculous organisation over our society for no good reason.

Indeed - if the RCC ever introduced a whip system their ranks would be decimated after the first vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It's a discrepancy that doesn't bother me as long as that 80% stick to their beliefs when the time comes for them to vote on such issues. If they do then what religion someone associates with is irrelevant to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's a discrepancy that doesn't bother me as long as that 80% stick to their beliefs when the time comes for them to vote on such issues. If they do then what religion someone associates with is irrelevant to me.

Well, if it doesn't bother you that's ok for you... but it's not so for everyone else.

Do a quick search in this forum and find the many, many cases where people can't find a school place for their children, because the majority of schools are catholic.

I've several personal horror stories from times in catholic hospitals. I had no alternative, there was none.

Although things are finally starting to turn, in the past the Catholic Church claimed all these public services because based on what people failed to say they represented the "majority" of the country. In the census, see.

In an ideal world you'd be right and religion would be a strictly personal thing and it wouldn't affect anyone but the person themselves. Sadly, we don't have that luxury here.

Advertisement