Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

good metal songs to learn on guitar?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi, im looking for a easy/intermediate metal song to learn on guitar.
    i like music from
    metallica
    pantera
    green day
    susperia (not suspiria)
    linkin park

i have a kustom quad 100dfx amp,
    ibanez grg140 (black)
    and a boss mt2 metalzone effects pedal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Try Seek And Destroy. You can get a good bit of that done as a novice. I did years ago anyway when starting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Irish_Fisher

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Try Seek And Destroy. You can get a good bit of that done as a novice. I did years ago anyway when starting off.

thanks but thats one of the first songs i learned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Here goes.....My advice to you is although you like certain bands, those certain bands are what I call robotic. What I mean is that they have a blueprint on what a song should contain and stick to the tried and tested. There is no flair or feel with most thrash and modern metal.
    Take any thrash guitarist, swap guitars and amp set ups and you will struggle to tell them apart due to the restricted style in what they play.

Don't get me wrong, Slayer are Gods but personally speaking you would do well to begin with Sabbath. Iommi plays with control. Heavy as fu@k, light melodies, just enough twiddly licks and riff after heavy riff. But above all he has his own style, and if you just copy the technical modern guitarists you will be lost in the masses of copycats. You have to get your own style and if you learn from some of the old school and you will be surprised how this will translate to the more recent musicians.

Sometimes less is more. No one really cares how many notes you can hit in a minute or how many riffs you can cram into a song, that's self indulgent shyte. Going back thirty years when I started learning the bass, a friend of mine said how he could play all of Eddie Van Halen's solo from Live Without A Net video note for note. Thats all well and good sitting in front of your television for days at a time but he couldn't even play Paranoid with style, just a juddering mess, no fluidity at all.

Learn the basics from the originals like Van Halen, Iommi, Hendrix, (not Blackmore, thats another kettle of fish), and thrashing will come easier.

Good Luck and please forget Pantera's stop/start/stop/start style. Be loose, liquid and let the screaming solos rip faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Here goes.....My advice to you is although you like certain bands, those certain bands are what I call robotic. What I mean is that they have a blueprint on what a song should contain and stick to the tried and tested. There is no flair or feel with most thrash and modern metal.
    Take any thrash guitarist, swap guitars and amp set ups and you will struggle to tell them apart due to the restricted style in what they play.

Don't get me wrong, Slayer are Gods but personally speaking you would do well to begin with Sabbath. Iommi plays with control. Heavy as fu@k, light melodies, just enough twiddly licks and riff after heavy riff. But above all he has his own style, and if you just copy the technical modern guitarists you will be lost in the masses of copycats. You have to get your own style and if you learn from some of the old school and you will be surprised how this will translate to the more recent musicians.

Sometimes less is more. No one really cares how many notes you can hit in a minute or how many riffs you can cram into a song, that's self indulgent shyte. Going back thirty years when I started learning the bass, a friend of mine said how he could play all of Eddie Van Halen's solo from Live Without A Net video note for note. Thats all well and good sitting in front of your television for days at a time but he couldn't even play Paranoid with style, just a juddering mess, no fluidity at all.

Learn the basics from the originals like Van Halen, Iommi, Hendrix, (not Blackmore, thats another kettle of fish), and thrashing will come easier.

Good Luck and please forget Pantera's stop/start/stop/start style. Be loose, liquid and let the screaming solos rip faces.

^^this 100%

In my first band, one of the guitarists was a Metallica nut and could play every song, note for note (except certain parts of some solos). However, whenever we were writing stuff, he was hopeless. The only lead work he could manage was to copy and paste bits from different Hammett solos which didn't even work half the time. Even if we tried playing something with light parts, he was too used to hitting the strings hard with a thick plectrum that any chord he struck was ear piercing and verging on dissonant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slater etc, would be great bands to learn from if you wanted to perfect your timing and rhyhtym technique. At least they were for me. Depends what you want to learn. If you want to learn more technical alternative stuff, then Mastodon could be right up your street, or maybe even some Porcupine Tree.

But as an intro, something off Kill Em All would be fun to learn, and fun to play along to. Walk by Pantera would be good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Btw, going by your threads, I'm pretty sure you couldn't be arsed learning anything like Pink Floyd. However, bear in mind that playing slow, while not technically or physically demanding, can be just as hard (if not harder) than playing fast.

As stefan pointed out, Black Sabbath are a great starting point as they are easy to learn by ear and require a lot of feeling. If you wanna learn songs that are still heavy but slow, you could try some stoner/doom stuff. Unfortunately, my suggestions are going to span different tunings

Some Melvins (perhaps more bass-driven):

Dragonaut has a catchy-as-hell riff and shows how imaginative you can be with pentatonics:

And if you are really willing to downtune, some Electric Wizard:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

You want to be riffin' like Tony. 3:14, 1976, Jesus Christ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karma To Burn, mostly instrumental. Got a great groove to them.

Spiritual Beggars, Some Riff.

4Arm, Aussie thrash band, cliched but a good sound.

Slayer, Bloodline. Slow and heavy as Hell.

Dave beefing up a classic riff, Cold Sweat.

Revoker, young Welsh band. Great sound.

The Answer, a lot of control in this song. And a screaming solo.

Advertisement