Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

hammer horror

Options
  • 16-12-2007 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

what are the best hammer horror films of all time? name as many as you can in order of preference

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vampire Lovers! ;)

No, the first Dracula film in 1957 in full gory Eastman Color comes top.

Mike.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

LOL i saw some of these for sale on DVD before crimbo in the shops they were like selling 2 films for a fiver. I supose they are old now, still have many fond memories watching them with my dad when I was young. I cant rember any now But i always loved the ones with peter cushing in em. Was funny then to see him in starwars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 transporter-d

Well i have to say i love Hammer films,but i think the strangest one i have seen is,"To the Devil a Daughter",its mad it starts off well and then it goes mental lol Christopher Lee stars and a young Natasha Kinski,its about devil worship,now there is a scene were the girl is having a nightmare then christopher lee pops up and then this little demon lol but the next scene is the best,the girl starts to em em have an orgasm but whats giving her the orgasm is the demon and it looks like a ball of puss with eyes, i fell around laughing,its worth checking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Twins of Evil works superbly on so many levels

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you are looking for something vaguely serious and nasty, Witchfinder general stuck out when I saw it.

• Advertisement

Ah but that was not a Hammer Production (AIP I think).

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭kryptyk500

I watched a few Hammer moves over the last couple of weeks:

Plague of the Zombies - not bad, failry atmospheric.

Scars of Dracula - nearly put me to sleep.

To the Devil A Daughter - Sloooow Exorcist rip-off. Christopher Lee was good, but that's about it.

Amicus film are worth checking out.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dracula88

This is what I call the " Holy Trinity of Hammer Horror " 1. The Curse of Frankenstein 1957 2. Horror of Dracula 1957 3. The Mummy 1959.I also find The Satanic Rites Of Dracula highly underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

has to be 'The Devil Rides Out'. really atmospheric and tense.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062885/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I used to live for Hammer Horror back in the day and yet if I try to pick the best of them now all the memories just merge into one big blob of a Hammer film. So having just checked the list on wikipedia I'd have to say The Terror of the Tongs wins on name alone, although they don't seem to think much of it strangely enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Huge fan of the Hammer movies. Quatermass and the pit. The Hound of the Baskervilles. The Mummy. The Devil Rides Out (my personal favourite). All classics. I think the genre as a whole was wonderful. There are a lot Cushing and Lee horrors and thrillers by other studios of that time that had the same tone. Movies like Horror Express and so on. Also agree with an earlier poster about To the Devil a Daughter. That was one strange movie... although there was one or two interesting scenes...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

Redbaron again makes it seem like we sprang from the same zygote. LOVE Horror Express!

Was Curse of the Werewolf with Ollie Reed a Hammer? If so I add that one.

The Reptile : love that too. Sweetly tragic.

As is Frankenstein Created Woman which made me cry as a child for more than one seen. Very feminist film.

Yep, the Curse of the Werewolf was a Hammer movie. They made some classics. They really launched the epic duo of Cushing and Lee.

Also worth checking out are movies from Amicus productions. They made a lot of very good horrors in the 60s and 70s that were similar to Hammer's films. Lee and Cushing also starred in quite a few of Amicus' movies.

Oh I LOVE amicus. As a kid if I saw either Hammer or Amicus mentioned RE a movie I'd see it. One of them did Dr. Terror's House of Horrors which was a luv. Apparently Hammer phoenixed itself a few years ago keeping the name... I'd do anything to be involved on one of their gigs (except be an unpaid prod. Assist.)

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    Oh I LOVE amicus. As a kid if I saw either Hammer or Amicus mentioned RE a movie I'd see it. One of them did Dr. Terror's House of Horrors which was a luv. Apparently Hammer phoenixed itself a few years ago keeping the name... I'd do anything to be involved on one of their gigs (except be an unpaid prod. Assist.)

Yeah, they came back with Woman in Black, Let Me In, The Resident. All were very slick, modern horrors. I was very impressed with them. Hammer has seemed to have stalled again, though.

I hear ya on Dr Terror's House of Horror. Loved those anthology flicks that were so popular in the 60s and 70s. Vincent Price starred in a few movies of that style. Tales of Terror was one that springs to mind - horror/comedy.

And I luvvvs Reptilicus too.

Oh! And who could deny the fab-ness of The Creeping Flesh?

brilliant

gosi84I.jpg

Advertisement