Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Cup Match Thread*** Wed AUG 14 21:00 St Colmcille's - Havent A Kalou ( 8 )

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Never missed a competitive penalty...

you missed 22 tonight :pac:

They were a good side too, can be proud of that lads. We all did very well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh they were a very handy side and it was a tough, see-saw battle so it's an excellent outcome.

I missed a peno in normal time, first one missed in a competitive game in 5 years so was very relieved to get the chance to restore normal service in the shootout to make it 29 from 31.

Liam by his own admission made a howler for their first goal, but he also put things right with an absolutely outstanding save from their long range free-kick - think everyone was sure it was going straight into the top corner. In both cases, the team didn't get on the person's back when we made the mistakes, just gave encouragement - that's far more likely to lead to the person making amends and reflects the spirit of what this team is all about.

We were quite fragmented at times and unusually gave the opposition more space and time on the ball than we should. But I can understand defenders being reluctant to get tight as they had handy players that could turn tightly and also the ref was very stringent on contact and every time a defender went in tight there'd be the risk of a free (the ref was quite consistent for both teams on that I thought), so I can understand defenders not pressing as tight as usual but we were still too loose on occasion.

There was some really top notch play up front and out wide too, one goal created out of nothing and a couple of really slick moves for the other goals and some other good chances we created. And that was off relatively little supply - it's clear if this attacking unit gets more quality supply, they'll rip defences apart. All really positive stuff.

Gotta say though, 10 out of 10 in a peno shout-out is pretty damn impressive - deadly that every outfield player took one and nailed it, we're a bunch of assassins lads - ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Loving the creativity of their name :)

Quick story:
    - I went in for the toss as captain tonight.
    Ref: Whats your team name?
    Me: Boards.
    - Other captain arrives
    Ref: Whats your team name?
    Cpt: Haven't A Kalou
    - Ref looks at him like he's some sort of gobsh*te and shouts past yer man at the rest of the team "Lads, any of youse know your team name?"

Yeah good battling tonight and some very good goals from us.
    Great mix of team play and individual skill for the first 2 and an unbelievable through-ball for the third.
    We were very sloppy at the back for the first two goals. I didnt think the little bit of impedance I caused was enough to award a pen for their 2nd. Yer man never even called for it, but my mistake that it ever came to that.

Also good to get the monkey off the back having missed the decisive 6th penalty last year!
    _41821044_9penpearace416.jpg

Fair play to Ste for banging in the decider!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Keaner

Great work last night lads!
    sorry for getting 5 min sin binned there too in first half! didnt think it was a yellow but what can you do, shoulda known better then to raise my foot....

Was some great through balls to derek for his goals nd great saves too from their set pieces and open play!
    Ended up being a tougher game then it needed to be with a few mistakes but we should take that as confidence that we shoulda won 3-1! keep the mistakes (including my mind boggling throw!) to a minimum and there is no reason we can't go far in this cup!!

• Advertisement

Welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Sounds like an epic win. Gutted to have missed it.
    Well done - youse sound like you've picked up some serious form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Well done lads, sounds like a very good win.

God it's frustrating sitting this shizzle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Well done lads, sounds like a very good win.

God it's frustrating sitting this shizzle out.

Did the doctor say anything about how your injury has affected your english? You only seem to speak in noob gangsta talk now.

Keaner wrote: »
    Great work last night lads!
    sorry for getting 5 min sin binned there too in first half! didnt think it was a yellow but what can you do, shoulda known better then to raise my foot....

Was some great through balls to derek for his goals nd great saves too from their set pieces and open play!
    Ended up being a tougher game then it needed to be with a few mistakes but we should take that as confidence that we shoulda won 3-1! keep the mistakes (including my mind boggling throw!) to a minimum and there is no reason we can't go far in this cup!!

Welcome Ste!

The stress on your face going up for that last peno was nothing short of priceless :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Keaner

that's not funny! Des said it might go penos at the start and i said straight away i wouldnt be up for 1! was a bit mad it came down to my 1 in the end! keep my mouth shut in future!! look of horror will say enough in future!

that's not funny! Des said it might go penos at the start and i said straight away i wouldnt be up for 1! was a bit mad it came down to my 1 in the end! keep my mouth shut in future!! look of horror will say enough in future!

It's all about the one step peno....

Any idea who we're against next week Desmond?

Any idea who we're against next week Desmond?

No

Winner of this match tonight

Thu 15-Aug-13
    St. Colmcilles, Knocklyon
    19:30
    Crewe Motley(2) v Deloitte(6)

and it's actually next Friday, 23rd at 7pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Deloitte are a known quantity, I think they'd be a preferred option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

what are deloitte like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mrDerek wrote: »
    what are deloitte like

Decent enough, 3-3 draw in our first (Murtagh gave away a howler of penalty though!) and then they couldnt get a team for the other game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

In fairness, that would rarely have led to a yellow in most games. My take was that the OTT reaction from their uninvolved defender meant the ref couldn't not give him a yellow. Giving him a yellow and not you a yellow would probably have led to them feeling hard done by and a bit of needle could have come into the game. So the ref said he was giving you a yellow anyway and that way both teams get a yellow, think he was doing it to calm the situation more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

just had a quick look for deloitte in the leagues to get a general idea of there level, they came 3rd last in the league ahead of us with 18 points thats W5 D3 L10 with a -15 goal difference if we shore up the defence a little and maintain the same attacking guile we should have no problem getting into the quarter finals.
    Also if it looks like where short again let me know might be able to get 1 or 2 lads up to give us a few options

Lets go in to the game without any complacency please we remember how that affected us before. Every game needs to be the same hard working attitude I honestly think that last cup game was our best performance of the whole season everyone was giving their all. I was a bit of a headless chicken in the 2nd half but in fairness I was being told to do a million different things! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

just had a quick look for deloitte in the leagues to get a general idea of there level, they came 3rd last in the league ahead of us with 18 points thats W5 D3 L10 with a -15 goal difference if we shore up the defence a little and maintain the same attacking guile we should have no problem getting into the quarter finals.
    Also if it looks like where short again let me know might be able to get 1 or 2 lads up to give us a few options

Gary Neville eat your heart out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what are deloitte like

they were in our league this year and are as unpredictable as it comes. struggle to get players alot of the time, but when they actually get a team together, are pretty good.

gave 5 walkovers and didnt have much of a team for alot of games, but still picked up 18 points.

approach the game (if ye play them) assuming that their full team turns up and they will be a really tough opposition.

Look at Rooney's through ball here, he must have been taking tips from Jules

9530141429_c648aa839f_o.gif

Advertisement