Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat advertising

Options
  • 12-08-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever noticed how meat is advertised. The Irish and UK supermarkets have nearly all pictures of cooked meat. On the other hand the German supermarkets have nearly all pictures of raw meat. It's kind of weird - I often why Germans rarely have cooked meat in the pictures of their advertising.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This isnt the type of meat I wanted to talk about

I can honestly say it's not something I have ever given any thought to!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Only ever saw raw meat in Irish ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Probably something to do with the Holocaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I see it advertised both ways here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rasheed wrote: »
    I see it advertised both ways here.

Where?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Op looking at the forums you are a mod for I was hoping for something so much more interesting in the world of meat

1ZRed wrote: »
    This isnt the type of meat I wanted to talk about

It never is

Terry Pratchet

sgb wrote: »
    Op looking at the forums you are a mod for I was hoping for something so much more interesting in the world of meat

Ask 1zred then ;-)

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Where?

In the supermarkets. Then when they're advertising in the paper or a leaflet it can be either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Ask 1zred then ;-)

Too mooch info..Just stop this.

I mean, if your into your beefburgers fair enough.

I prefer a greasy chicken salad burger with cheese.

Ask 1zred then ;-)

Everyone knows I'm an ass man

Rasheed wrote: »
    In the supermarkets. Then when they're advertising in the paper or a leaflet it can be either way.

But take a look - Irish/UK supermarkets like Dunnes/Tesco/Superquinn are predominantly cooked whereas Lidl/Adi is predominantly raw

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Maybe it was cooked to look less like horse meat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think Germans are more comfortable that what there eating is an actual animal and like French people have no problem eating veal( calves(baby cows) which no one in UK and Ireland eats as its "cruel")and horse is really popular( no one in Ireland would eat this ever). Where as in Ireland and UK people dont seem have the connection that what they are eating was a living thing but rather just food, but Germans have no issue with it. Like Irish people dont like to see a head on a duck or a chicken like people in France do.

Just had a look at the main supermarket's websites there and it's a bit of both really - mostly raw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

sgb wrote: »

Wicklow?

Bitta Lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

But take a look - Irish/UK supermarkets like Dunnes/Tesco/Superquinn are predominantly cooked whereas Lidl/Adi is predominantly raw

Beef tends to be raw whereas poultry is always cooked,lamb I think I've seen cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

hfallada wrote: »
    I think Germans are more comfortable that what there eating is an actual animal and like French people have no problem eating veal( calves(baby cows) which no one in UK and Ireland eats as its "cruel")and horse is really popular( no one in Ireland would eat this ever). Where as in Ireland and UK people dont seem have the connection that what they are eating was a living thing
    We seem to have become a nation preoccupied with 'the Germans'.

The national past-time seems to be taking a Ryanair flight to Frankfurt or Berlin and coming home and reporting all the great stuff the Germans are at. Worse are the Irish expats who live over there and feel the need to impress us with how sensible the Germans are over every facet of their lives.

I draw the line at implying that we do not elucidate the fact that meat comes from animals. The whole country is gone German mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

We seem to have become a nation preoccupied with 'the Germans'.

lol.. Irish people.

Before the Germans; the Brits.. Before the Brits the Vikings

Has there ever been a period in Irish history when people were just happy to be who they are?

AH is like a soup kitchen for self loathers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I follow a simple rule when buying food.

If something needs a picture on the label to show you what it is, it's probably shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Best At Doing Wheelies

Personally prefair me sausie raw. Cooked it a few times round the mothers with the fish fryer, you know the deep ones. wasnt ever the same, defo not worth it. Definately better just buying it cooked next time instead of raw, dunno why they sell them raw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Wait... meat comes from animals?

GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

hfallada wrote: »
    I think Germans are more comfortable that what there eating is an actual animal and like French people have no problem eating veal( calves(baby cows) which no one in UK and Ireland eats as its "cruel")

Yes, it's cruel...not merely because the animal is young, you do know how veal is produced right? It's been unpopular in the US, Ireland, and UK for decades now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Worse are the Irish expats who live over there and feel the need to impress us with how sensible the Germans are over every facet of their lives.

Yeah, every single one of them posts on this site as well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We've officially run out of stuff to talk about...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The superquinn/super value "we'll keep the saussages but everything else is going to s***e" ads have raw saussages. And mince on offer is usually pictured raw in a prepack for all supermarkets.

As an aside, I like the way anything which shows the cooked product with maybe a sprig of parsley says "serving suggestion" as though someone is going to take a sale of goods complaint for their food to not to come out of the box piping hot or that they were cheated out of some parsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Zaph wrote: »

Time to talk about the weather. :(

Tis mild at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Tis mild at the moment.

Fierce mild.

:'''(

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »

How bout apples?

You know when you go to the shop, why are so many of the apples not covered? Any dirty aul bastard would be coughing and sputtering around them. You'd think they'd have a sneeze guard or something at least.

Apples are good though. I like Granny Smith's the most I think, though I'm partial to an odd red apple occasionally too.

Apples, eh?

Advertisement