Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will be legal/illegal in Ireland in 50 years time?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Watching a TV show here that mentioned prohibition in the States and it got me thinking. For over 10 year alcohol was banned over there whereas 50-60 years ago in Ireland it was only men that were allowed to enter pubs, it would be unheard of for a woman to be seen in a pub of any description.

For over a thousand years South American indigenous peoples have chewed the leaves of Erythroxylon coca, a plant that contains vital nutrients as well as cocaine.

So what drugs/things that are illegal now will be within the law in 50 years time? And what will be illegal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

it would be unheard of for a woman to be seen in a pub of any description.

You've never heard of the snug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Android Culchies will dream of Electric Sheep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Cannabis will probably be legal by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gay marraige if we're lucky.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The death penalty will also be legal for the most dangerous criminals.

• Advertisement

Jumboman wrote: »

He said in 50 years time, not 50 years ago. No matter how much you want it, it ain't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Jailing corrupt politicians will become legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gay marriage, abortion, weed.

Not one of them affects me personally (well maybe the abortion one but hopefully that won't be something I ever face with a partner) but they should be available legally to adults who want them.

He said in 50 years time, not 50 years ago. No matter how much you want it, it ain't happening.

Its already legal under EU law for times of war.

Me thinks they should use that law against the bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

Will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The_Mask wrote: »
    Jailing corrupt politicians

Good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gay divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Snakebite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Euthanasia - sounds radical but I reckon so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I'd be suprised if Ireland doesn't exercise it's Article 50 rights in the next fifty years.

That would probably change the legal status of quite a few things.

I'd be suprised if Ireland doesn't exercise it's Article 50 rights in the next fifty years.

Unless nucealr war breaks out, I don;t see that happening.

Unless nucealr war breaks out, I don;t see that happening.

Just imagine what Europe will make us ban in the next 50 years, pretty soon we won't be allowed have any fun :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Probably drink driving, as the technology will have reached the point where nobody will be able to crash a car, whether sober, drunk or incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

mike65 wrote: »

Not that radical, plenty of European countries allow it.

I absolutely agree with it, in principle and in practice.

Unfortunately recently I had cause to think about some of the practical side of this. When you think about it, it's a bizarre concept. Like having to ask your family and friends: when would it suit you for me to die and have my funeral...

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

mike65 wrote: »

Youth and Asia will be Ireland's most popular band internationally. The lead singer...Rono...will be hated by AH posters not even born now.

Think of that.

• Advertisement

The EU wont be around in 50 years it will collapse the same way the soviet union did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Gay marriage hopefully!

Abortion, assisted suicide/euthanasia, weed, gun ownership, poitin/moonshine etc..., polygamy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

wexie wrote: »
    Not that radical, plenty of European countries allow it.

I absolutely agree with it, in principle and in practice.

Unfortunately recently I had cause to think about some of the practical side of this. When you think about it, it's a bizarre concept. Like having to ask your family and friends: when would it suit you for me to die and have my funeral...

:confused:
    Plan it to suit yourself. I really hope that euthanasia will be readily available if/when I have a prolonged, painful terminal disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 traindude

Pang wrote: »
    Gay marriage hopefully!

Abortion, assisted suicide/euthanasia, weed, gun ownership, poitin/moonshine etc..., polygamy

what an awful society that would be. I hope you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Plan it to suit yourself. I really hope that euthanasia will be readily available if/when I have a prolonged, painful terminal disease.

Yup, to me it's all about dignity, I just can't for the life of me understand how it would be considered okay for a government to decide I couldn't end my own life (if it came to it) in a dignified and painless manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

traindude wrote: »
    what an awful society that would be. I hope you're wrong.

I doubt most of it will happen, unless some major global catastrophe takes place and mob rule takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are you joking? Most irish people may dislike the EU but they pay for most of our roads, rail, hospitals, etc. Also the massive farms subsidies and the fact they keep cheap Brazilian beef out of the EU so Irish farmers get brilliant prices.

I can see the role of the Catholic church in day-to-day life being very small. People will be catholic but very few will be giving out abortion, pre marraige agreements and liberal divorce laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Cycling a bike with no wheels, whilst your naked.

• Advertisement

Just imagine what Europe will make us ban in the next 50 years, pretty soon we won't be allowed have any fun :eek:

Interesting point: what will be ILLEGAL in 50 years time...?
    Its already legal under EU law for times of war.

Me thinks they should use that law against the bankers.

Fair point, but if there's a war, it'll be an apolalpyse and peretty much everything will be legal.

Advertisement