Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The VRT Question Class C, or Class B?

Options
  • 14-12-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

(1) Technically Permissible Maximum Laden Mass

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31997L0027:EN:HTML

Directive 97/27/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 July 1997 relating to the masses and dimensions of certain categories of motor vehicles and their trailers and amending Directive 70/156/EEC:
    2.6. 'Technically permissible maximum laden mass (M)` means the maximum mass of the vehicle based on its construction and performance, stated by the manufacturer.
    The technically permissible maximum laden mass is used to determine the vehicle category in accordance with Annex II to Directive 70/156/EEC, except for centre-axle trailers and semi-trailers where the mass to use is the mass corresponding to the load exerted on the axles when the vehicle is loaded to its technically permissible maximum laden mass.
    By definition, only one technically permissible maximum laden mass may be attributed to a given technical configuration of the vehicle type as defined by one set of the possible values of the items laid down in the information document in Annex II to this Directive. This definition - one value only - applies to the relevant technical requirements of sections 2.7, 2.8, 2.10, 2.11 and 2.12 as appropriate.

(2) EU Type Approval for Defender

N1 (it is what it is ...)

(3) Revenue VRT Classification Guide

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/revised-vehicle-classification.html

Category N1 - Vehicles that, at the time of manufacture, have less than four seats and have a technically permissible maximum laden mass weight that is greater than 130 per cent of the mass in service of the vehicle with bodywork in running order: Category C - Commercial Vehicles (carriage of goods) other

(4) Landrover Defender 90 HT (Performance and Weights)

http://www.landrover.ie/index.php?page=defender_hardtop

Minimum Kerb Weight: 1771
    Gross Vehicle Weight: 2505

2505 / 1771 * 100 = 141

Technical Permissible Maximum Laden Weight > 130% of Mass in Service of the Vehicle => Class C.

(5) Landrover Defender 110 SW (Performance and Weights)

Minimum Kerb Weight: 2062
    Gross Vehicle Weight: 3050

3050 / 2062 * 100 = 147

Technical Permissible Maximum Laden Weight > 130% of Mass in Service of the Vehicle, however => 4 seats => Class B.

(6) Car Derived Van

Where a vehicle has TPMLW > 130% of MSV, and, has less than 4 seats, but was modified after manufacture to have less than 4 seats (e.g. jeep/car derived van) => Class B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Copied this over from a post on the Defender thread by Happybob who is looking for a new Defender but it obviously applies to any commercial and defines whether you pay €200 or 13.3% VRT if I'm reading it right.

These seem to be the latest definitions as dictated by our EU masters and applied by the VRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

hi, sorry for digging this up, im trying to figure it out at the moment. the VRT have advised me that my vehicle might fall into this 200 euro catagory.

but im ****e at math and easily confused. certainly where math is concerned.

is anyone on here clever enough to tell me what the maximum weight, or should i say minimum (... confused) weight a vehicle can be, to qualify for 200 vrt.

I have a light goods truck, I reckon its about 2.3 tons. its classed as an N1 3.5 ton vehicle. does this qualify for 200 euro VRT?

just to re-iterate, this is the passage I dont understand below- apparently when they say mass, they mean the actual weight of the vehicle, plus the driver onboard. I wonder what they take the weight of the driver to be.

However, certain vehicles, that at all stages of manufacture are classified as a
    category N1 vehicle with less than 4 seats, and have a technically permissible
    maximum laden mass weight that is greater than 130% of the mass in service of the
    vehicle with bodywork in good running order, designed and constructed for the
    carriage of goods, are charged VRT of €200 subject to the correct documentation
    accompanying the vehicle e.g. Certificate of Conformity/NSSTA/IVA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dannyboy84

Hi Iv bought a 2014 Ford transit connect 1.5 does that qualify for the N1 category , is that in the 200 euro qualifying category? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes

Advertisement