Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

list of exchanges with less than 24Mbs available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

thebman wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the eircom line checker thing a load of rubbish?

It says my line is capable of 24Mbps but we have 8Mbps and the fastest it goes is 7Mbps.

RAHAN exchange.

Lucky to have BB at all TBH, was on the last of the enabled exchanges :D

Well eircom are only selling an upto 24Mbs service these days but loads of exchanges only have an 8Mbs service or are throttled to much less than 8Mbs, some even as low as 3Mbs.

IoffL have a list/map of all the 8Mbs exchanges...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Taboganist007

bealtine wrote: »
    Where's ADA? ARDARA?

Yep, ADA is the 3-letter code on the Ardara exchange in Donegal according to the Ireland Offline broadband overview map anyways. Apologies if I was a bit vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Mountmellick 7Mbs exchange max

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quin Exchange - Clare.

4Km from Exchange , Max available 3Mb , despite line stats indicating a potential ~8Mbs

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 40.0 dB 24.0 dB
    Noise Margin 14.8 dB 18.18 dB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Great thread idea. I have a bit of a list, I'll dig it out.

Right now, off the top of my head...
    Puckane, Tipperary. Max backhaul is roughly 16mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Duleek Co.Meath has only ''upto'' 8Mb on our exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Are yous listing exchanges that haven't been upgraded to fiber yet, or ones that haven't been upgraded to ADSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It breaks my heart that iv such ****ty broadband

Imagine a living right beside the exchange and only able to do 3mb broadband and might I add I have great line stats
    Every ****ing night its ****ing god awful broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »
    It breaks my heart that iv such ****ty broadband

Imagine a living right beside the exchange and only able to do 3mb broadband and might I add I have great line stats
    Every ****ing night its ****ing god awful broadband

Know the feel man, was stuck with 4.5Mb for years until we were freed by UPC the glorious saviours of Irish BB.

Only thing you can do is berate your TD, not that itll do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I find sky website is a good line checker as it gives the actual speed capable on your line. Eircom and VF say mine is up to 24 whereas Sky says 14.9 which is more or less what I get.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheDriver wrote: »
    I find sky website is a good line checker as it gives the actual speed capable on your line. Eircom and VF say mine is up to 24 whereas Sky says 14.9 which is more or less what I get.....

Are the showing the real prequals? Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

We have no service available from our exchange. Only satellite in this area such a backwards country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Dunmore, Co. Galway - 7Mbps adsl1

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can i ask is it easy to upgrade an exchange such as Golden for example?
    Whats involved like how much etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭BigMoose

ED E wrote: »
    Are the showing the real prequals? Interesting.

Not sure what they're showing but its wildly wrong for my line. Sky show 6.8Mbs, the VF internal checker (ie one their operations staff use) showed about 17.8 and I get about 17 on a good day, 14 normally. Oddly I'm on a 24Mb non NGN exchange (Merrymeeting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Dunmore East,Co.Waterford

5.8Mbs,even though my router Sync's at 7.5Mbs.
    So depressing:(

Below is my average result from Speedtest.

2902210207.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

are the max values of the exchanges on the ireland offline map correct?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    are the max values of the exchanges on the ireland offline map correct?

Pretty much some exchanges may have been updated but the information was correct at the time the data was collected

Pretty much some exchanges may have been updated but the information was correct at the time the data was collected

is there anyway to see when the exchange data is from or anyway to check on eircoms' site?

is there anyway to see when the exchange data is from or anyway to check on eircoms' site?

No it was crowd sourced and there's no way to cross check it

• Advertisement

No it was crowd sourced and there's no way to cross check it

thats the best way to figure out what speeds i should be able to get though is it?

rather than go by the line checker on sky

thats the best way to figure out what speeds i should be able to get though is it?

rather than go by the line checker on sky

according to sky and others everybody can get upto 24Mbs regardless of what speeds are actually available at the exchange. An awful lot of exchanges are only enabled for 8Mbs...

according to sky and others everybody can get upto 24Mbs regardless of what speeds are actually available at the exchange. An awful lot of exchanges are only enabled for 8Mbs...

sky say my line is capable of 16.6 or something like that, is that a figure they've just taken out of the air?

I've asked in the eircom talk to forum to see if they'll be able to tell me the max speed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

to be fair on sky, it gives me what my line actually is capable of getting i.e. 15 whereas vf and eircom say up to 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

seaniefr wrote: »
    Castleconnell Co. Limerick 4km from Exchange 2.5Mb down .32 up, on 'up to 3mb package'. The sky website line checker is accurate at giving your max. download speed
    my advertised speed on the eircom site is 'UP TO 24 Megs'

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/ireland/build?showCheckAvailability
    You also need your eircom/whoever account number also called a UAN
    it tells me that i can get max 3.9Mb download:rolleyes:
    Checked it last week it now tells me that i can only get 2.9Mb MAX WTF:mad:

can you tell not your max speed from the line stats?

can you tell not your max speed from the line stats?
    My downstream attenuation on the Eircom d1000 modem is 57Db. I am capped on a 3Mg package even though Eircom advertise 'up to 24 Mb' which i was told i by their telephone sales that i would have to pay an extra 10 euros per month
    it should give me around 4.0 Mb download max (57/13.81=4.2) which is what the sky line checker was saying not that its anything great as regards download speed right now but there are others worse off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

ballymakerra, 1.8mb, 3 km from exchange

seaniefr wrote: »
    My downstream attenuation on the Eircom d1000 modem is 57Db. I am capped on a 3Mg package even though Eircom advertise 'up to 24 Mb' which i was told i by their telephone sales that i would have to pay an extra 10 euros per month
    it should give me around 4.0 Mb download max (57/13.81=4.2) which is what the sky line checker was saying not that its anything great as regards download speed right now but there are others worse off:rolleyes:

where did you get the 13.81 from?

is this graph correct do you know? the sky checker says i can get 16.6 but going by the graph i should get 22 or over if on the upto 24

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

• Advertisement

where did you get the 13.81 from?

is this graph correct do you know? the sky checker says i can get 16.6 but going by the graph i should get 22 or over if on the upto 24

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg
    from dslreports.com
    13.81 is the amount of attenuation generated per kilometre for twin twisted copper wire. Its usually not too far out.
    That graph would be fairly spot on i think. It would also depend on the cable route to your house from the exchange.

Advertisement