Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

guy gets quizzed for filming arrest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

wow, she asked for his ID. Standard operating procedure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I hate this freeman b*llsh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The guy is a knobhead.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Dr. Schmidt has very little time on his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The cop was spot on, that guy is an utter moron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

What right does she have for doing any of that? Kop on lads.

No right to do any of that, just crap.

Nothing to do with "freeman bull****" the man is exercising his rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I am getting so fed up of these videos, some moron that thinks videoing people getting arrested an uploading it is ok. As the cop says to him she is concerned that he is going to upload that video of the guy being handcuffed which could have a damaging effect on him and his family.

I am getting so fed up of these videos, some moron that thinks videoing people getting arrested an uploading it is ok. As the cop says to him she is concerned that he is going to upload that video of the guy being handcuffed which could have a damaging effect on him and his family.

Not the cops place to have any concern about that as hes not breaking the law. Also, he had permission even though he didnt need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You are allowed to film in a public place. In the States you don't have to show the police your ID unless the police have a good reason.

He should of been left alone. She had no reason to approach him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭mistermano

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You are allowed to film in a public place. In the States you don't have to show the police your ID unless the police have a good reason.

correct

took a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Well to be fair to the guy filming, he took the cops point that the guy may not want to be filmed. He then asked the guy being arrested for his permission, explained why he was doing it and received his permission to keep filming. I mean that's fairly thorough, more than he's even required to be in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

"it's Doctor Schmidt by the way" - WTF difference does that make?, is she meant to respect you more or something, knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is a petrol station a public place though, wouldn't that be private property?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

vicwatson wrote: »

A public place is anywhere the general public have access to even if it's private property.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The thing is he is operating within the law and she isn't. He can record anything that happens in a public place. She has to have a reasonable suspicion that he has committed or is involved in a crime to detain him and ask him his identity.

vicwatson wrote: »

Even if it was, unless the owner had a problem with it and told the cops, he shouldn't of been approached. The cop didn't say a complaint was filed against him, so why did she go over to him?

The thing is he is operating within the law and she isn't. He can record anything that happens in a public place. She has to have a reasonable suspicion that he has committed or is involved in a crime to detain him and ask him his identity.

So if I turned up at your work tomorrow and started filming you would you come over and ask who I was and what I was doing?

And a place of business is private property. It is owned privately by someone who has the right to refuse you access to the premises. They also have the right to control what goes on in their premises.

The guy filming was acting suspiciously on private property and filming people working without their permission. All the cop asked for was his identification. Which she is allowed to do.

anyway regardless of the legality of filming he is in control of a vehicle so she is permitted to ask for his id.

The guy filming was acting suspiciously on private property and filming people working without their permission. All the cop asked for was his identification. Which she is allowed to do.

The guy has every right not to give it to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That depends on the law. In many jurisidictions the police have the right to ask for ID regardless of whether or not someone is breaking the law.

• Advertisement

Not when your in control of a car. Especially if like here it is the law to have your licence and to produce it when requested by the police.

I would also wonder if the patriot act does not have something in there now that allows cops reasonable powers to identify suspicious people and question them.

I love the video in Ireland where the cop stops a guy who won't wind down his window so the cop smashes it and drags him out !.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

seamus wrote: »
    That depends on the law. In many jurisidictions the police have the right to ask for ID regardless of whether or not someone is breaking the law.
    Obviously not in that area, which is why he was banging on about probable cause when she asked him for his ID. She seemed a bit clueless about the actual laws if I'm being honest, but he was just being a knob, within the law, but a knob all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't see any issue in that video. She was nothing but nice to him, and had genuine reasons to do what she did. He was acting the maggot and either deliberately or inadvertently gave probably cause for her to do what she did.

I also notice a few cuts in the video, what was cut out??

Finally, a cop can ask anyone anything. You don't have to answer it, but the questions asked can form an opinion on which the cop can then make demands. If you've nothing to hide, i can't see why you wouldn't answer a few simple questions. Plainly obvious that this dude just wanted to get some sort of rise or reaction in order to stir the pot.

I can't see any issue in that video. She was nothing but nice to him, and had genuine reasons to do what she did. He was acting the maggot and either deliberately or inadvertently gave probably cause for her to do what she did.

Ah come on. He was sitting in a car taking a video and she comes to the conclusion that he could be there to kill the guy they were arresting or the police officers themselves. It was a complete over reaction on her part.

You cant abuse power if you dont have any. Cops hate cameras because it puts some of the power in the hands of others, they can't simply do what they want & know the courts will find in their favour as video evidence can be used to make them liars.

This means they have to know their job and their boundaries & they hate that. The world was much easier for cops before camera phones.

That is why they get narked when filmed & that is a very good reason to film them, to let them know that we are watching them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I love the video in Ireland where the cop stops a guy who won't wind down his window so the cop smashes it and drags him out !.

Id say the Garda Ombudsman did too.

Great to see these type of videos. They've been getting away with intimidation for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah come on. He was sitting in a car taking a video and she comes to the conclusion that he could be there to kill the guy they were arresting or the police officers themselves. It was a complete over reaction on her part.

She was asking him normal questions, which he is completely obliged not to answer, and approached him because of videoing the man without his permission (which, be it the real reason she came over or not, is still a very valid reason).

So, she's asking him normal questions, and by not answering and reserving his right to silence, do you not think that that will give probable cause to suspect something more? Especially when asked about weapons in his car?

So, she's asking him normal questions, and by not answering and reserving his right to silence, do you not think that that will give probable cause to suspect something more? Especially when asked about weapons in his car?

Where he lives you are not allowed to simply suspect something without evidence and hold someone (which she did). If she was allowed it wouldn't be an issue but she actually broke the laws the swears to uphold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Cop asks weird guy for ID and he complies.

Complete non event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

So am I the only one who, for fcuk knows what reason, constantly misreads the title as "guy gets jizzed"?
    Yeah? Oh, okay...

tumblr_mgs1m4Qavk1ro7uigo1_400.gif

Advertisement