Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a tablet

Options
  • 20-07-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hey

I've been looking to invest into a tablet for some time now but some bill always popped up so now is the time to invest into a tablet for myself.

I would of ideally wanted an ipad since I have the iphone and an imac. But my budget of 200euro doesn't expand to the apple range.

I'll be using this for surfing the net, email, facebook, travelling. So battery, screen size/display is import.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Nexus 7 is by far and away the best 7 tablet on the market, the new Sony 10' tablet is quite good too by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I would prefer a 10inch display imo. Also coming from an iMac, iphone user is the nexus easy to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The nexus is extremely easy to use and gives you lots of freedom to mess about with the Android OS, even without flashing it and putting your own custom version in it.

Wasn't a big fan of tablets but saw the last of the 16GB models going a few months back for cheap so I decided to chip in.

Really impressed with what it can do and gets a lot of usage, more so from the GF but very handy streaming things from the Htpc while I'm around the house.

I was reading on the net that theres going to be a nexus 7 2 coming out soon? is it worth waiting?

Why does it matter? Don't you want a 10 inch tablet?

I would head over to Android Devices and read similar threads about tablet recommendations. I would recommend one of these for your price bracket, e.g. Novo10 Eternal.

• Advertisement

At first I thought I needed a 10inch tablet but the 7inch might do just perfect. Plus the Nexus 7 is highly recommended on here and on the internet.

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    At first I thought I needed a 10inch tablet but the 7inch might do just perfect. Plus the Nexus 7 is highly recommended on here and on the internet.

You should hold different tablet sizes in a shop and see how you feel. A 7 inch tablet is good for books and casual browsing but not good for reading pdfs and for some not good for watching movies, whereas a 10 inch tablet can be too big for books and also too heavy.

Also just to correct a point that has been made: the Nexus 7 is a great tablet but it is certainly not the best 7 inch tablet on the market right now. It is quite old as far as tech is concerned and has been decribed as being laggy and buggy on Android 4.2. Even the new Nexus 7 won't be the best 7 inch tablet, but it will be good value for money and the first tablet to have 4.3, but hardware wise there will be better.

Why does it matter? Don't you want a 10 inch tablet?

I would head over to Android Devices and read similar threads about tablet recommendations. I would recommend one of these for your price bracket, e.g. Novo10 Eternal.

Looks a good tablet. any reviews on it? How would it compare to an iPad for speed and screen display for movie etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement

It's good, none of the specs are a negative. Just be sure to find some reviews of it before buying.

Has anyone ever bought from this site before? I'd like to know how reputable it is before I buy from them.

Yes, Geekbuying is a well known site.

Has anyone bought a tablet from this site? or can anyone recommend a decent one with high res screen on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

Dylanmc111 wrote: »

Personally I wouldn’t go for this one. “Retina” is a trademark from Apple. Companies selling something as Retina probably aren’t going to be that reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

Also what is your timeframe like? Have you considered holding out and saving up for a bit longer and getting an iPad? You have a Mac and iPhone so are probably already used to the Apple ecosystem. A friend of mine just got rid of her cheap Android tablet for an iPad as she didn’t like having to transition between iOS and Android every day.

At very least you should play around with Android for a bit and see if you like it. See if you can borrow a tablet from a friend or go into a store.

Advertisement