Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda supermacs uniform

• 17-07-2013 2:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29

Firstly some points please:
    - I fully respect and love the Guards. I look up to them and donate to them.
    - This is based on opinion and just looking for other ideas, so don't take this as if this thread is like GARDS NEED NEW UNIFORMS NOW, that type of thing.
    - Be calm,respectful and nice.

Hello,

I'm making this thread asking your opinions on the Guards uniform.
    This is regarding their shirt. Firstly I think shirts are GREAT and I personally always have one on but what I don't get is that the Guards have the same shirt as supermacs.

Example:

Guards:
    http://www.inishowennews.com/images/2008/Story/JohnOK.jpg

Supermcas
    http://www.supermacs.ie/_fileUpload/Image/IMG_1980-7inx7in-72dpi-crop.jpg

What's your opinion on this?. Just say your ideas if you would like..
    Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

The hat and tie are very similar too.
    The two pictures are almost indistinguishable in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

They are similar in that they are both blue, but that's where the similarities end. The blue for the garda seem to be darker than the supermac's shirt.

Now the garda shirt is also double breasted while the supermacs one is not and the garda shirt has tabs to secure epaulettes to the shoulders while the supermacs shirt does not.

Thats my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Even wrecked out of your head drunk at 3am you wouldn't walk into a supermacs, stand there and then say to the server "Sorry garda, I was looking for supermacs" and leave. Likewise you wouldn't walk into the cop shop and order a burger and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ken wrote: »
    Even wrecked out of your head drunk at 3am you wouldn't walk into a supermacs, stand there and then say to the server "Sorry garda, I was looking for supermacs" and leave. Likewise you wouldn't walk into the cop shop and order a burger and chips.

http://dailymotion.com/video/xqwjl6_father-ted-the-police-station_fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Chivalry

ifeelill wrote: »
    They are similar in that they are both blue, but that's where the similarities end. The blue for the garda seem to be darker than the supermac's shirt.

Now the garda shirt is also double breasted while the supermacs one is not and the garda shirt has tabs to secure epaulettes to the shoulders while the supermacs shirt does not.

Thats my two cents

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The faces are remarkably similar as well. They've each got a nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Looks like they're both dressed by.....their mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I am sure most guards who spend their day restraining bastards, jumping in and out of cars, on their hands and knees looking for evidence will all tell you that a traditional shirt and tie is a nuisance and a polo shirt would be much handier.

Although a Supermacs worker might say the same, without the restraining bastards bit etc. I'm sure they have numerous awkward tasks of a day.

Both have to project high values. While Supermacs isn't as essential a service as AGS, they have to give you confidence in their professionalism to reassure you that their hygiene standards are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Yes I really taught when they changed with the stab vest it would get better but no it hasn't

RSU uniform is better but a lot more can be done really!!

Oh ya better stab vest too!! Hot weather mean don't wear it!!

Something like this photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Chivalry wrote: »
    Wow, your two cents seem to be worth a-lot.
    Thanks for your input.

Have a nice day.
    Mate if this is sarcasm you are on well dodgy ground to be slinging it about.

Discussion on the uniform is one thing but there is scant in common between the two uniforms you mentioned in the OP.

The garda do not have the copyright on the blue shirt.

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    Mate if this is sarcasm you are on well dodgy ground to be slinging it about.

Discussion on the uniform is one thing but there is scant in common between the two uniforms you mentioned in the OP.

The garda do not have the copyright on the blue shirt.

Your right.

Your right.

His right to what?

endacl wrote: »
    His right to what?

I don't know, he's just some random mod.

I don't know, he's just some random mod.

Quiet you fool! You'll incur the wrath of the mods! :pac::pac::pac:

This thread is surreal OP. I'm out. The shirts are in no way similar.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

- and love the Guards. .

......and i'm sure they love you too OP. Keep up the donating ( whatever the hell that means):eek:

Saying everybody that wears blue shirts looks the same? Dunno, that sounds racist to me. Er, shirtist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Blueshirts, is it? That Fine Gael lot have their fingers in every pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Oh.. here come the trolls...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

They could definetly do with a new uniform alright. Something more practical for everyday duties.

• Advertisement

Well said, also some more funding (tax money,etc) going towards the Guards would be nice and good.

Also:
    Having the Garda stations closed down was "good" in a way.

Why was it "good"?:
    Because of the old buildings been closed down, in my crazy opinion this may result in new buildings been built. While I do love and admire old buildings at least the Guards will have more space,units,protection & updated lab equipment and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

I often find myself in the public office of my local station trying to order a chicken burger and curry chips!

Haha what are you on man!

Donate to the guards? I know times are tough but I haven't noticed them out with buckets at traffic lights yet!

Big-Mac wrote: »

I don't take "drugs" and all that but I am on meds, no idea how you knew m8.

Big-Mac wrote: »
    I often find myself in the public office of my local station trying to order a chicken burger and curry chips!

Donate to the guards? I know times are tough but I haven't noticed them out with buckets at traffic lights yet!
    I would also like to say that meeting a nice on person on boards.ie does not come often.

I would personally like to Thank You for such a nice comment, You would be a friend and would love to have you over for a couple of drinks and some food, we could then watch some tv,read books,go on boards.ie TOGETHER,etc. I don't mind, up to you m8!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Thank You for such a nice comment, You would be a friend and would love to have you over for a couple of drinks and some food,

Bet there is some fava beans and a nice chianti in this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Thread Closed

I dont think there is a need to explain why......but if you dont see why I refer you to post number 26.....

Hooch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement