Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business in Co. Tipperary (Good Points/Bad Points)

Options
  • 13-03-2003 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm living in Co.Mayo at the moment, but I'm considering moving..

I would like to establish a business, and I have been looking at the following towns as possible suitable locations;

_CO. TIPPERARY_
    Nenagh
    Roscrea
    Thurles
    Tipperary

Has anyone any knowledge of living in or running/owning a business inany of these towns?

Do any of these towns have well-known problems with businesses having problems with local criminals. Or does anyone have any knowledge about general crime rates in any of the above towns?

Or does anyone have any general comments about living in any of these towns? Any good points or bad points which I should know about?

Any comments or advice is appreciated, or send an email to me at

claire2003@clontarf.net

See ya!

Claire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

what kind of business?

Thurles is a small place, pleasent enough to live in. Benifts from wide availability of broadband. IT located there, plenty of techi ppl looking for work.

The college help develop and host websites for local business's.

As for Crime rate, i lived there for 3 years and never heard of anything happening, the place has a bad rep relating to violence, but its undeserved, I'm from kilkenny like, never had a problem there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 claire2003

Hi azezil,

Well, I'm hoping to start a business selling anique furniture and antique home furnishings. Target market would be mostly women.

The business would not neccessarily have to be located in town centre, as customers would often tend to specifically travel to the business location to purchase, as goods would be unique items (as they are antique).

Customers would not generally not be impulse "walk in off the street" purchasers.

You mentioned Thurles had an undeserved reputation fo violence; do you mean just the usual punch-up's after closing time. Nothing more serious than this....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

to be honest all the time i was there i never had a problem, in fact i was pleasently surprised when walking up to college alone, passing some school kids THEY got out of my way! ... never see that in kilkenny :)

Thanks Azezil.

Have you ever been to Galway City?

Laid-back, chilled, arty place.

Do you of the towns in Co. Tipperary

Nenagh
    Roscrea
    Thurles
    Tipperary Town

have a similar outlook?

Just wondered!

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

There is nothing in tipp town.its falling to rubble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I agree with Wheeler there. And now that the Pall factory has closed there is very little business, i spent a summer working in Tipp Town, its not a town I'd like to live in or have my business. And it has a bit of a recent drug problem (but I guess ya get that everywhere).

I'm a Tipperary man myself. Lived here all my life. I'm from Cashel, nice town, small, and plenty of oppurtunity for businesses to develop, if ya have the finances to back it of course! And the people are always very welcoming and friendly. It lack things like cinemas and swimming pools, but the other town such as Clonmel and Thurles aren't too far out of reach.. about 15-20 min drive.

Clonmel (south Tipp) is a pretty nice town, though I've heard the odd stories about drunken fights, etc. Nothing too serious I'm sure.

Anyone I know from Nenagh, says its not the nicest place in the world to live. Its rough, has had a drugs problem for as far as I can remember, and I'm sure (my own opinion) that crime levels are high.

As for Thurles, like Azezil, I am/was a student there. He has given ya the low down on the place and I think its fairly accurate. It has had a name for violence for sometime, but I've never come across anything as long as I've been there. I will admit, that in shops and stuff like that, people don't tend to be too friendly, now maybe that's just me.

I'm used to walking into the shops in Cashel, where everyone knows everyone (small town) and they are usually quiet friendly and chatty.

Hope that helps, I am only giving my personal opinion of the places so don't take them as gospel!!

Best of luck with your new venture.
    Hope all goes well,
    Memphis
    :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nyx

Claire,

I'd agree that Tipperary has a lot of problems, but its one advantage is that its on a main trading route (limerick-rosslare) and a 30 minute drive to limerick.
    There's a guy called Michael Guerin based in the town who deals with antiques and house furnishings. His numbers in the book and he deals mostly in the South East/Munster area. He's a nice bloke, I'm sure he'll be able to answer a lot of your questions directly related to the antique trade.

thanks for the name Nyx.

I suppose Clonmel might be a possible location too, as it's on the same limerick-rosslare route.

What do you's think about Clonmel? Regarding any similar crime/drugs problems?

Is Clonmel considered a nice place to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nyx

I like Clonmel. It did have a slightly bad rep for a while, but things seem to be cooling down. tbh, its the same small group of people who were causin all the trouble and they were easy to spot. the town itself is pretty nice, hellish parking though on a saturday.
    there's a college, a higher education facility, 3 shopping centres and a pretty high population of workers in waterford, cork etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 gerrydublin

Nyx wrote:
    I like Clonmel. It did have a slightly bad rep for a while, but things seem to be cooling down. tbh, its the same small group of people who were causin all the trouble and they were easy to spot. the town itself is pretty nice, hellish parking though on a saturday.
    there's a college, a higher education facility, 3 shopping centres and a pretty high population of workers in waterford, cork etc.

What's the (rent before tax p.m.*12 /value of house) ratio in Clonel or Cashel.
    Is it below 4%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

memphis wrote:
    IAnyone I know from Nenagh, says its not the nicest place in the world to live. Its rough, has had a drugs problem for as far as I can remember, and I'm sure (my own opinion) that crime levels are high.

I think your been a bit hard on Nenagh, I've lived here all my life and its far from rough except maybe the odd druken brawl after closing time but its no worse than any other town. As for its drugs problem I'm sure its no worse than other towns either its not like you walk down the street and see people off their heads and crimes levels are low in the town read the Nenagh Guardian or Tipp Star for court cases, there isn't much going on, so maybe without proper research you should keep your opinions to yourself.
    Nenagh at the moment has just started building a hugh shopping complex on the outskirts of the town costing millions, consisting of many shopping units and hundreds of houses. Along with that hundreds of more houses are been built in the town by other contractors and the population has been rising here for a good few years. Also work has started on a new pedestrian street on the old O Meara's hotel site with more shop units, a new restaurant and other facilites going in. Along with that the town council gave the streets a face lift last year gining the town a refreshed look.
    Nenagh has its own swimming pool and five differant gyms, one been exclusive to women. It also has a cinema, although with Limericks Omniplex only 35 minutes away a good few people go there.
    In Nenagh I hear Thurles is rough, Clonmel is full of drugs etc etc, I take it with a pinch of salt as I been in these towns and like everything they have their good points and bad points as does Nenagh (worst drivers in Ireland).
    Claire you should visit the towns of Tipperary and see for yourself which best suits your business and don't listen to others guessing what a town is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

My above post was nearly 12 months ago, why bump up this thread again?

Anyway, the above was my own opinion together with comments I heard from mates of mine who incidentally are from Nenagh. Sorry if I offended, and yes, like any other town I'm sure it has both good and bad points.

Cucullan, you make an interest point above, the original poster should actually come and judge these towns for herself.... but being nearly a year ago I'm sure she has already!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Next time before I go on a rant I must check what date the orignal thread was posted :D
    Don't know how I came across this thread was just searching for something and I got this.

Advertisement