Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

thesamster wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible after submitting your application to offer to undertake your interview in any other region if it means you can then get an interview sooner?

Yes you can do that. Tell them you'll travel anywhere for the interview. They'll normally slot you into the next round of interviews, wherever that will be. Worked for me but that's nearly 2 years ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Thanks for that will try today . Hope it works waiting a few months now

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if you can pass the medical when you wear glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

I don't know for sure what the medical criteria for eyesight is but I'm sure there are many already in the force wearing glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

want2b wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if you can pass the medical when you wear glasses?

I got this on the Garda website hope this answers your Question :)

Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Reserve trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 correctable to 6/9,6/12, with normal colour vision).

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, I'm just wondering how I can find out what my eyes are, I guess back for an eye test..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

want2b wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how I can find out what my eyes are
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye

:P

Endacl if you don't have anything helpful to say don't say anything at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry Guard. Won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DaDon

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but I'm interested in applying to the reserve but I'm back to college in September and studying abroad after Christmas until June.

Should I just wait till next year to go about joining or can I apply now and defer anything I would be missing while away (if I get that far by then!)

Thanks!

• Advertisement

thesamster wrote: »
    I don't know for sure what the medical criteria for eyesight is but I'm sure there are many already in the force wearing glasses

Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Reserve trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 correctable to 6/9,6/12, with normal colour vision).

DaDon wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but I'm interested in applying to the reserve but I'm back to college in September and studying abroad after Christmas until June.

Should I just wait till next year to go about joining or can I apply now and defer anything I would be missing while away (if I get that far by then!)

Thanks!

Well in my case it took 2 years from my initial application to being invited for a medical. The whole process takes 'on average' a year for most applicants (going by what i've read here). I know for a fact that the medical exam 'result' is good for 6 months so one can defer up to 6 months if they have successfully passed the medical. I know of one reserve applicant here who got a deferral of up to 1 year, after getting a trainee appointment, but I am assuming he had to get a repeat medical (as there is a 6 month 'best before date' on medicals as I already mentioned).
    So If I were you I'd apply now. The reserve numbers are filling up fast, so they may restrict people deferring. Six months would be the max deferral now I'd conclude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Im back,

It took me over 2 years for Backgrounds, Medical soon after, Training done all from start to finish 2.5/3 years...

Any other questions please ask....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Im back,

It took me over 2 years for Backgrounds, Medical soon after, Training done all from start to finish 2.5/3 years...

Any other questions please ask....

Hi Jakester,

Fairplay to you,well done!! :D

Serious slog of 3 years..

Are ya glad? :)

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi Jakester,

Fairplay to you,well done!! :D

Serious slog of 3 years..

Are ya glad? :)

Doing it well over two years now, Its worth the wait...Dont be put off!!
    By anyone, If your proactive person - You will do well within the job...

Doing it well over two years now, Its worth the wait...Dont be put off!!
    By anyone, If your proactive person - You will do well within the job...

Cool.

Glad to hear!!!

Im at the stage of waiting for a medical at the moment!!

How often do you work? Do you get a variety of duties?

Cool.

Glad to hear!!!

Im at the stage of waiting for a medical at the moment!!

How often do you work? Do you get a variety of duties?

Did your backgrounds come through?

*Working some weekends when my unit is on. average 208-300hrs a year. full 10hr shifts..(its was 8hrs) but thats your choice 4-5hrs will do..some people dont complete all the hours required and thats ok too.

*Duties can range from, depending on location of station, alot of check points day or night, matches, house searches, car detail or foot patrol, station duty if your lucky...

If you have a smart phone you can download a App called St.Raphaels or this link its the Garda credit union. This will show unit rosters etc..

http://www.straphaelscu.ie/

OR

http://www.gra.cc/

Did your backgrounds come through?

*Working some weekends when my unit is on. average 208-300hrs a year. full 10hr shifts..(its was 8hrs) but thats your choice 4-5hrs will do..some people dont complete all the hours required and thats ok too.

*Duties can range from, depending on location of station, alot of check points day or night, matches, house searches, car detail or foot patrol, station duty if your lucky...

If you have a smart phone you can download a App called St.Raphaels or this link its the Garda credit union. This will show unit rosters etc..

http://www.straphaelscu.ie/

OR

http://www.gra.cc/

I m waiting on my backgrounds.. should be no prob :)
    Very good!!

You get a nice mix so!!

Are you stationed far from your homeplace? Have you made much friends and that?>

I m waiting on my backgrounds.. should be no prob :)
    Very good!!

You get a nice mix so!!

Are you stationed far from your homeplace? Have you made much friends and that?>

As you can see backgrounds take time, until that's done, you won't be called up for a medical... Drat...!

When you get your date to go to Templemore, on that first day you will be asked for 2 choices in stations.. Not your local one.. But If your in the sticks that may change!

Friends: your only friend is yourself! Like any work place, you get the good ones and the odd ones...lol.

They have internal games against each units.. Units now range from A, B, C, D, and the new one is Unit E..Football, Gaa, golf, fishing days out... Things like that.. If your good at any, jump right inn through the units ring of steel bond...

Again once your backgrounds are done, it flys inn, accommodation given during time at Templemore and parking.

on the day of Graduation, they tell you that you can only bring 2 persons from your family..
    That never happens, unless you bring a van full...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

As you can see backgrounds take time, until that's done, you won't be called up for a medical... Drat...!

When you get your date to go to Templemore, on that first day you will be asked for 2 choices in stations.. Not your local one.. But If your in the sticks that may change!

Friends: your only friend is yourself! Like any work place, you get the good ones and the odd ones...lol.

They have internal games against each units.. Units now range from A, B, C, D, and the new one is Unit E..Football, Gaa, golf, fishing days out... Things like that.. If your good at any, jump right inn through the units ring of steel bond...

Again once your backgrounds are done, it flys inn, accommodation given during time at Templemore and parking.

on the day of Graduation, they tell you that you can only bring 2 persons from your family..

Can I ask if you were working, college or both when you applied? and did u do much voluntary work?

• Advertisement

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Can I ask if you were working, college or both when you applied? and did u do much voluntary work?

How's things,

Well I worked,

Hours done...you see our study plan was different to the one they have in place now..

From what I can remember I think it was over 8 weeks/two nights a week...

Other training ie: handcuff and baton, pepper spray, first aid AED, all different times and places...

This all added into your first year hours, second year was hard, This third year is more difficult due to new style roster hours... and a lot of rest times for my unit are over the weekends which I like to work.. The old roster system better suited me at weekends..
    So at the moment I'm behind on shifts compared to year one/two...

Plus you have to have a life too....
    But still its great to help out the community your patrolling.
    You feel great at the end of each shift... Putting aside who you might be teamed up with..
    Once your not a Jack the Lad, but still get stuck inn, the people on the street can smell fear... Their like sharks with legs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Does any1 know if you have to have a certain amount of voluntary hours done before your interview?

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Does any1 know if you have to have a certain amount of voluntary hours done before your interview?

Hi Runner,

No there is no official rule on this.. although it does help to have some experience..

hope that helps..

they love community involvement so try and come up examples if you can eg sports and youth clubs etc

Thanks for your reply!

very useful!!

I m looking forward to the opportunity eventhough its a long process!!

How are you recieved in general by management? they glad of the extra pair of hands or what?

I ve played soccer and gaa at representative level so Id be well up for the sporting aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mark227

Hi,

Anyone else going down for phase 1 in September?

Thanks for your reply!

very useful!!

I m looking forward to the opportunity eventhough its a long process!!

How are you recieved in general by management? they glad of the extra pair of hands or what?

I ve played soccer and gaa at representative level so Id be well up for the sporting aspect

With regards to management :
    It has got better as this program went on.. The young lads within the job are still immature... They still can't get around the whole idea...

There's people that do voluntary at sea ie: lifeboat. I'd like my feet on the ground thanks...

There is talk now about stun gun training coming soon.. The force here are 10years behind the UK... Always the case.. Sure the ANPR cameras on some of the cars are worth more then the car!

But still a great bunch of guys, If you need help they will back you up, and same goes to them... It takes time to bond 1/2/3 years..

With regards to management :
    It has got better as this program went on.. The young lads within the job are still immature... They still can't get around the whole idea...

There's people that do voluntary at sea ie: lifeboat. I'd like my feet on the ground thanks...

There is talk now about stun gun training coming soon.. The force here are 10years behind the UK... Always the case.. Sure the ANPR cameras on some of the cars are worth more then the car!

But still a great bunch of guys, If you need help they will back you up, and same goes to them... It takes time to bond 1/2/3 years..

Cool,
    Sounds very worthwhile..

Have you been involved in anything very dangerous or daring? without giving too much details away online I would be interested to hear your experiences

Cool,
    Sounds very worthwhile..

Have you been involved in anything very dangerous or daring? without giving too much details away online I would be interested to hear your experiences

Your right about saying to much...
    Going on any call can be soo different from the next call out..
    Here is a tip... If and when you get inn and go on a call out... Think before you get to your destination of call.. Hazards that maybe ahead, will you get to home safe, always know your surroundings and a way out...
    Once again can't go into any details, but you meet all walks of life...
    Revert back to Training and you wont go wrong...

That a side, The First aid course comes inn handy on the streets..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kthulu91

Hey there,

I went for my full medical there in June and the Doctor said I passed with a clean bill of health.

How long roughly til training does anyone know? I know it doesn't mean that you will get accepted but if it were the case then roughly how long?

Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Kthulu91 wrote: »
    Hey there,

I went for my full medical there in June and the Doctor said I passed with a clean bill of health.

How long roughly til training does anyone know? I know it doesn't mean that you will get accepted but if it were the case then roughly how long?

Thanks !
    I say youll know int he next month or two:) Not long now but dont take my word for it:P

Advertisement