Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

• 06-07-2013 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

today I did something to my car, part 2
    Original thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056307853

The £40 turbo....
    Image782.jpg

Against a GT15
    Image783.jpg

Beside the K03 for a 2.8!!! :eek:
    Image786.jpg

It was off a big hoor of an engine.....
    Image784.jpg

Doesn't take me long to get cracking with this one ;)
    Image787.jpg

It's practically like new :D
    Image788.jpg

Now what is it off..... I ain't spillin.... Unless someone guesses it right of course :pac:

I have no doubts that unusual wastegate actuator will give it away though :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

A car?? :pac:

I had to say it :P

I'm gona guess some form of bmw or another pug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A car?? :pac:

I had to say it :P

I'm gona guess some form of bmw or another pug?

No and no.... It is off a car though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dgt wrote: »
    No and no.... It is off a car though :)

Merc?

Nissan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Must be off some 3.0 Turbo or something? Please do tell... :o

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Merc?

Nissan?
    Must be off some 3.0 Turbo or something? Please do tell... :o

There ya go ;)

• Advertisement

There ya go ;)

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

There ya go ;)

First guess:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

DGT are ya putting it in the 406? If you are would ya not have a problem with the injectors handling the extra heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

The £40 turbo....
    Image782.jpg

Against a GT15
    Image783.jpg

Beside the K03 for a 2.8!!! :eek:
    Image786.jpg

It was off a big hoor of an engine.....
    Image784.jpg

Doesn't take me long to get cracking with this one ;)
    Image787.jpg

It's practically like new :D
    Image788.jpg

Now what is it off..... I ain't spillin.... Unless someone guesses it right of course :pac:

I have no doubts that unusual wastegate actuator will give it away though :)

I know ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just spent the afternoon changing my rear anti roll bar bushings. It's done now and adjusted the spring seats. Torqued ta fuk so won't be coming loose on me, I hope. :D

• Advertisement

Nice, that really suits it dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

A few weeks back it was hard to get her into second gear. Thought the gearbox was gone. Garage gave the bottom of the gearstick a clean and a bit of grease and she is flying again. This made me realise that she could do with a good clean. I took a few panels off and cleaned behind them. Changed the pollen filter too. Noticed the cable that is attached to the handbrake had come loose put that back in. Hadnt noticed the light not coming on when the handbrake was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

OSI wrote: »
    Finally got around to painting the lip on the GTI. I think it looks much better.

Looks like a clean job, but I can't say I like it... Should the two colours not match? :D

Sorry! :o

I was going for the Alfa look with mismatched panels :pac:

Nah, they do actually match. I checked. The strip around the grill is a lot brighter than it looks in pictures for some reason.

No mismatched panels to be seen here.....yet.....:D

Ah right, I'd say it's a case of it looks better and more aggressive in person. T'would stand out from the rest of GTI's too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Finally got around to painting the lip on the GTI. I think it looks much better.

261489.jpg

Very nice, eye catching and more aggressive.

Bit more subtle then my Gulf stripes!

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today I wasted my time driving to Traynors in Armagh to look at a leather interior for my VW CC.

Firstly, the interior was caked in dirt and dust (amongst other things) so it was near impossible to tell how good a condition it was in. Though from what I could see, the leather was in pretty good condition.
    It only got worse after this though. Only 1 window was open on the car, but the entire interior was a swimming pool. Footwells, seats, underseat padding, seat electronics. All under water. It was a joke, and a waste of my time. Why the dont keep car interiors (seating especially) inside, I dont know!

I wringed out the back seat, but water kept flowing. It must of been soaking for months, all the metals were rusty looking also. I checked it out in my back seat, and it fit, but really that was just so I would know for other potential purchases.

IMO, seat sponges need replacing, and the entire drivers side electronics need replacing. Me estimate is about 500 quid for that alone. I walked away.

PICS
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WdNc9RbLU7A/UdgbIjYcciI/AAAAAAAALf8/sRtCJVZf4rA/w401-h709-no/IMAG0399.jpg
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EIxs34SSiv8/UdgadMFYmxI/AAAAAAAALfM/970e_sKUAwY/w401-h709-no/IMAG0400.jpg
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Hj43MSTxEC8/UdgbCBGVDJI/AAAAAAAALfw/iEjIzHT2eBU/w401-h709-no/IMAG0398.jpg
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rQSIUr_wBag/UdgaxHlm51I/AAAAAAAALfY/0cIByFz_N0s/w1254-h709-no/IMAG0402.jpg

Katunga wrote: »
    DGT are ya putting it in the 406? If you are would ya not have a problem with the injectors handling the extra heat.

Precombustion chambers, this is low tech remember ;)

Spent the rest of the evening fitting it to the manifold :) just some adapting needed :)
    Image789.jpg

Clocked to the correct position
    Image790.jpg

Housing cleaned
    Image791.jpg

That'll do for now :)
    Image792.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Gave the focus a serious clean yesterday. My uncle brought down his DA and the car was waxed and polished. The results were very good I thought. The car is so shiny now and the paint is so smooth.

image_zpsd80cffeb.jpg

image_zpsbf9dcdd9.jpg

image_zps65c85000.jpg

image_zpse03c51d0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Rather large post incoming

So today at chateaux de pickles I set about putting in motion a plan for the car, until I hand it over to the brother in September, as some of you seen in the motors chat, I seen the car had previously been crashed, or dinged whichever you want to put it, this was going to cause problems down the line in changing the bumper as it wouldn't sit properly, so I got a new bumper reinforcement courtesy of Whelans scrappy in Portlaoise for 30 quid

Off with the old,along with 5 minutes of cursing it to the ground trying to get it off

2lu6xw0.jpg

I also found where the connection for the outside temp is and the horns! So woo

The old black one, new red one and the bumper that is to be no more very soon
    qotwd1.jpg

Fitted it on the car to see how it looked as it was, didn't really like it, even though it wont be seen, it bugged me

syvw2v.jpg

Plus the rubber bits were coming off, nothing a bit of superglue cant fix ;)

Next on the agenda, I toddled over to halfords to get paint made up, big thanks to tallon for helping out there, got this can for 15 quid made there and then while the motor factors wanted double and wouldn't have it till tomorrow

mb5010.jpg

Nice and clean!

dvhmu.jpg

Now onto the fun bit, diy paint job...ish

xgd383.jpg

While this was drying I got onto the bonnet lifter supports, while I didn't have any masking tape my date duct tape and that done the job just as good ;)

Before

azcf13.jpg

During

2dsnudu.jpg

And after :)

1w6eh.jpg

After this I gave the reinforcement bar another coat of paint and a coat of lacquer, I think it turned out ok!

24exqf8.jpg

After this dried it went back on the body

2mphah0.jpg

Job done! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Drove mine (albeit slowly) around Mondello yesterday in the ITCC. Had some slight mechanical issues to do with the breather from the oil cooler dumping oil into the intake so I'll need to reroute that into the catch can

1044296_10151852357111844_1533334537_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks to 166man, my E34 is slowly starting to look better :D:D:D
    Image795.jpg

Image797.jpg

Image796.jpg

I may get better pics of it in daylight, it looks fantastic! :)

Oh and while he was working on that, I changed the brake fluid and gearbox oil in his car, hence on ramps :) huge difference :cool:

So more of "Today I did something to someone else's car" :pac:

Double post, for different cars ;) and not enough space for pics and smileys :pac:

So I was having a bit of an issue with auld laime: Lack of power :(

A job I was dreading had to be done.... Clean the sender in the tank

For those that don't know, sender is under the seat, under a riveted cover, followed by a plastic cover :rolleyes: eventually....
    Image798.jpg

Ah, traditional Peugeot. Make the hole for the sender not big enough for the ring.... Whoever designed that should have their ring broke!!!
    Image799.jpg

However
    Image800.jpg

Balls, it's different to my spare one :mad: I may clean it so. Dismantle it...
    Image801.jpg

And we are met by this :eek:
    Image802.jpg

Just look at the colour of the diesel that was in it!!!
    Image803.jpg

Needless to say that wasn't the core problem, the pot on the pump was knackered :confused: quick test drive revealed all power was restored and then some :cool:

Moving onto the E34 :D

166mans excellent work :cool:
    Image804.jpg
    Image805.jpg

So I decided to break out the rotary and finish the bonnet
    Image806.jpg
    Image807.jpg

Bumper will be filled and resprayed don't worry :)

Yaaaay! :D
    Image808.jpg

Then I decided to do the rest of that side of the car
    Image809.jpg
    Image810.jpg
    Image811.jpg
    Image812.jpg

It looks absolutely fantastic compared to before and I've been waiting years to see it shine like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

I lost the exterior temperature thermometer on the M50 south bound this Saturday between Sandyford and Dundrum after I finally managed to destroy the ///M tech bumper under cover on the driver side. The lower front part was destroyed by a Mother of speed bump, while the back of the cover was finished by my front tyre.

If you find my thermometer on the M50 please send me a PM. Award waiting

:-)

And I also began to renovate the interior of this too :)
    Image793.jpg
    Image794.jpg

So you can see why I had heatstroke :o More on that tomorrow.... Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

156 estate in the back ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I have a 1997 Laguna that in Nov'11 I could get a smell of coolant inside the car. So I lifted the carpet an it was wet with the stuff. Luckly I also have a 1998 Micra so put it on the road and parked the Laguna up. Joe Mallons quoted me around €400 or so for a new heater matrix kit so I left the car and saved a search on ebay UK for a matrix kit. One came up in April '12 with a starting price of £30. This was an original Valeo Renault part. About a min to go on the auction I put a bid of £35 and was the only bidder so got it for £30! :) And for bonus points it was free postage to an address in the UK. As we were due to go over in the summer (my wife is from England), and I was busy doing up the house I posted it to the OutLaws.

What with everything and the crap weather the second half of last year etc. I'm only getting round to sorting it now. Plus while I was taking out the dash to get at the matrix I kinda got carried away, one could call it DGT style! So I'm going to strip the car completely and clean everything and do general preventative measures.

2013-07-09-1062_zps7b14b120.jpg

2013-07-09-1061_zps5d1c1393.jpg

and to bring the thread full circle I've decided to redye the rooflining as a smoker used to own it before me and tbh its filthy

2013-07-09-1063_zpscd52c6a2.jpg

Looks good Renofan! Some bargain!

Meanwhile I have been doing my level best with dgts E34 at the moment. A car lying up for 7 years has some amount of sh1t on it! Still a gorgeous car underneath though. I hope to have it looking well over the next few weeks,

Still plenty of parts to go on the 156 for now so I'm saving for that and once that's done the GTV can finally get off the ground.

I'm excited.

CianRyan wrote: »
    156 estate in the back ground?

Maybe..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Maybe..... ;)

6 cylinder? :D

Today I took my radio out to see if it had an Aux input somewhere in the back. Despite having the Aux setting, there's no input.

Another thing that seems to be missing is a pollen filter...

Advertisement