Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I like Boston's move here. Anyone who has followed college basketball over the last few years has seen how good of a coach he is and as the Celtics are going to be on a downward spiral for a few years it's a great time to let Stevens learn the pro game.

Also, can the copy and past jobs please stop. This is a discussion forum, when I want to see lists of rumours and trades I know where NBA.com is and so does everyone else. It's just uping your post count while contributing nothing to the discussion.

You know who I'm talking to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Celtics need to tank next season anyway so they were always going to go with a no name sacrificial lamb

In that one statement you just summed up your knowledge of college basketball. Stevens has been an excellent coach at Butler, and numerous teams have tried hard to lure him away from the bulldogs. As someone pointed out, he is untested in the NBA and it is very much a **** or bust appointment. But he's only 36 and if he shows that he can be a good coach this year, then the c's should give another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Felexicon wrote: »
    Also, can the copy and past jobs please stop. This is a discussion forum, when I want to see lists of rumours and trades I know where NBA.com is and so does everyone else. It's just uping your post count while contributing nothing to the discussion.

You know who I'm talking to

Not sure if you're directing that at me or not but
    1. You're not a mod so it's not really your place to be saying this
    2. Not everyone scours the pages of ither siteslike you claim and some people find it handy that pieces are posted like that - for me it adds to the discussion as it informs those who may not have been aware of a particular piece of news, this allowing them to contribute futher
    3. Is it really THAT annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Not sure if you're directing that at me or not but
    1. You're not a mod so it's not really your place to be saying this
    2. Not everyone scours the pages of ither siteslike you claim and some people find it handy that pieces are posted like that - for me it adds to the discussion as it informs those who may not have been aware of a particular piece of news, this allowing them to contribute futher
    3. Is it really THAT annoying?
    Weird that you would think it was directed at you.

Look at the previous page of this thread. It's like someone is having a copy and paste competition with themselves

And yes it is THAT annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I'd hazard a guess twas directed at someone whose whole thread was basically a copy and paste discussion with himself.

And I agree completely about the annoyance factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Celtics need to tank next season anyway so they were always going to go with a no name sacrificial lamb

implied-facepalm.jpg

I think Stevens is an inspired choice. The work he did at Butler with what he had available to him was incredible (granted it wasn't always pretty to watch, but it was effective). To be honest, I'd get Rondo out of there now and let it be a proper rebuild from scratch and he's a good person to get it done. But it will take time....

The only danger for him is that the some of the louder elements of the Celts fanbase (i.e those who don't see the bigger picture to having to tank next season) have him lynched before the All-Star break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I think even Celtics fans realise how strong this draft is, best since 03 surely, and will accept a period of tankage.

Regarding rondo, how about a move for pau. Lakes get a pg who can be there for years and the C's get a large 1 year contract heading into possibly the most important free agency in recent memory

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

The Kings will not match the four-year, $44 million offer sheet that Tyreke Evans has agreed to sign with the New Orleans Pelicans. According to sources close to the situation, the new Kings management group instead is hoping to close Thursday on a sign-and-trade agreement involving Pelicans point guard Greivis Vasquez and backup center Robin Lopez.

Sacramento Bee Blog

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

JR Smith has re-signed with the Knicks, deal is 4 years, $24.7 million.

Clearly loves the NY club scene to accept that :D

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    JR Smith has re-signed with the Knicks, deal is 4 years, $24.7 million.

Clearly loves the NY club scene to accept that :D

Plenty of drinking money for JR there. :D

The Kings will not match the four-year, $44 million offer sheet that Tyreke Evans has agreed to sign with the New Orleans Pelicans. According to sources close to the situation, the new Kings management group instead is hoping to close Thursday on a sign-and-trade agreement involving Pelicans point guard Greivis Vasquez and backup center Robin Lopez.

Sacramento Bee Blog

I'm not a mod, but I would like to politely ask that you discontinue copying and pasting articles directly from other sites. This is a discussion thread.

aee7a8301c3c11336f5a352b46ac9f2a.png

So, predictions for tomorrow?

Think it's a money in the bank he's off to Houston now.

Kobe has no doubt scared him off, going from what was said in the meeting with the Lakers yesterday :pac:

I'd be very curious to see how he'd do at Golden State too I must admit.

Talk of Big Al heading to Charlotte :eek:

edit - He's agreed to a 3 year deal, $15M per a season with an opt out after year 2 of the deal.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9450487

Jefferson to Charlotte is done

Probably

Zeller and Jefferson in the front court?

The New Orleans Pelicans have reached agreement on a three-way deal with Sacramento and Portland to acquire guard Tyreke Evans, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Tyreke Evans, just 23, averaged 15.2 points last season.
    As part of a sign-and-trade arrangement, Evans will come to the Pelicans on a four-year, $44 million contract. New Orleans will send guard Greivis Vasquez to the Kings and center Robin Lopez to the Trail Blazers, sources said.
    Portland will send future draft considerations and cash in the deal.

The New Orleans Pelicans have reached agreement on a three-way deal with Sacramento and Portland to acquire guard Tyreke Evans, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Tyreke Evans, just 23, averaged 15.2 points last season.
    As part of a sign-and-trade arrangement, Evans will come to the Pelicans on a four-year, $44 million contract. New Orleans will send guard Greivis Vasquez to the Kings and center Robin Lopez to the Trail Blazers, sources said.
    Portland will send future draft considerations and cash in the deal.

Smh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

padraig_f wrote: »
    Just looking at his Wikipedia page, I think it's a great hire for where they are. Talented young coach, you couldn't put him in charge of a contending team with his lack of pro experience, but he can learn that over the next couple of years, when it doesn't matter if they win or not. In two or three years time, you could have a great young coach who's now got experience. If it doesn't work out, you haven't really lost anything.

Been doing a little reading on him, admittedly on Celtic blogs, and I'm actually super excited about him as a coach. From what I've read he reminds me of a bit Bill Belichick. He has reputation as a super smart coach, believes in process, "The Butler Way", and he's a big believer in analytics (hoping Drew Cannon joins the Celtics).

I'm also really happy to be a fan at the beginning of the next team. Was a latecomer to the Big Three and as much as I liked and admired those guys, I never really had a proper emotional investment in the team.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Smh

Clearly doing it on purpose at this point, at least that's clear.

Clearly doing it on purpose at this point, at least that's clear.

What ? We're all getting this info for online sources. at least that's clear. Relax

• Advertisement

Portland will send Jeff Withey who they just drafted to Pelicans as part of 3-team deal
    New Pelicans Team

3412.png&w=350&h=2546583.png&w=350&h=2544248.png&w=350&h=254

3983.png&w=350&h=2543995.png&w=350&h=254

The San Antonio Spurs have reached agreement with free-agent guard Marco Belinelli on a two-year, $6 million contract

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reached an agreement on a two-year contract with free agent forward Earl Clark

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JGold05

Are we gonna get a decision today?
    I still have no idea where he is going??

GSW have too many bad contracts to move and cannot sign him outright- would most likely have to give up some of there young assets.

Atlanta seems an unrealistic option and they have moved on with other signings.

Dallas- I don't see how this makes sense? Play with an ageing Dirk until next yr when Dirk re-signs at a discount and try to attract another Player.

LAL offers most cash etc. but that team is Old -Yes Pau & Nash could be healthier next year but even at full health it is a poor defensive team.

Hou prob offers most flexibility going forward- harden & shooters- maybe space for Smith (a long shot) but Hou has not really been relevant for yrs (though I enjoyed watching them last yr.

Enjoy your choice Dwight :)

Dwight has apparently made his own "decision" and will be announcing it "soon" on Twitter. Another reason I'm glad I'm not in Twitter :)

Dwight has apparently made his own "decision" and will be announcing it "soon" on Twitter. Another reason I'm glad I'm not in Twitter :)

Twitter is damn handy man, just have to follow the right people... and errr, Dwight in this case :D

Twitter is damn handy man, just have to follow the right people... and errr, Dwight in this case :D

I know. I was being more than a little facetious, but I flipping hate Howard and his now annual "oh where will I go now" merry go-round. Strikes me as a guy who will never, ever be happy.

As Mr. T would likely say "Just play fool!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Iggy gone to GSW for $48m over 4 years

Iguadola going to the Warriors. Biedrins, Richard Jefferson, Brandon Rush and a 2014 first round pick to Utah to free up salary space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Iguadola going to the Warriors. Biedrins, Richard Jefferson, Brandon Rush and a 2014 first round pick to Utah to free up salary space.

That is an awesome trade for GSW. They're contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Dwight not going to Mavs...?
    ESPN Twitter....

Advertisement