Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full soft drinks or diet soft drinks?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

So if you're in a shop parched and you need a can or bottle of coke or sparkling orange or whatever, do you go for the sugary stuff or is it the suger free diet version for you?

I'm a diet man myself - find the sugary stuff too syrupy and dislike the sticky feel it leaves on my teeth afterwards. So it's diet coke for me!

Soft Drink preferences 182 votes

Bring on the sugary drinks!
    0% 0 votes
    Diet for me, ta
    100% 182 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Anyone else noticed that coke tastes different now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Aqua pour moi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Anyone else noticed that coke tastes different now?

yes thank you i thought i was going mad.

it also now leaves this awful after taste that i can't stand.

also haven't they proved that diet drinks have more sugar in them than the non diet version?

edit nope its the artificial sweeteners are worse for you than the regular soft drinks, i knew it was something along the 'don't drink diet drinks they are bad for you' line

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/diet-version-of-soft-drinks-linked-to-diabetes-increase-583997.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

hoodwinked wrote: »
    also haven't they proved that diet drinks have more sugar in them than the non diet version?

No. Because they don't

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've started drinking Sprite more because of the mess coke is now. But if I've the option avail, I'd go Dr. Pepper every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Coke zero tastes ten times better than regular coke.

No sticky teeth either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The sugar substitutes in diet soft drinks cause you to crave more food, your body thinks its getting sugar, doesn't get sugar, as its prepared for sugar it then craves it. The same substitutes appear to have a very mild link with cancer. I would never drink a diet drink under any circumstances. If you're really on a diet drink water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Water's the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

:confused: That would make absolutely no sense.

I despise sugary drinks now and will always go for the diet version. Not a big fan of the aspartame but I figure it's better than the rotten taste of sugar and syrup..ughhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Went through a phase of drinking diet coke when I was younger and was eliminating foods and drinks to trace chronic illness and stopping it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The artifical sweetners on a regular basis are worse than drinking regular sugar drinks occasionally. I still like a full sugar coke in the cinema if I'm hungover ;).

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Proper Coke, none of your diet or zero nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

SamHall wrote: »
    Coke zero tastes ten times better than regular coke.

No sticky teeth either.

I challenge anyone to be able tell the difference between regular coke and coke zero after an hour in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No, they make you subconciously consume more sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

GarIT wrote: »
    The sugar substitutes in diet soft drinks cause you to crave more food, your body thinks its getting sugar, doesn't get sugar, as its prepared for sugar it then craves it. The same substitutes appear to have a very mild link with cancer. I would never drink a diet drink under any circumstances. If you're really on a diet drink water.

Does taste an aweful lot better all the same, and actually quenches thirst as opposed to dehydrating you further

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I like those sugar cane cola's like Jones, I think. I'm trying to ween myself soda drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

You should have an option for neither. Never drink any fizzy drinks. Water the best drink with so many benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Mostly water. Not big on soft drinks.

Coke zero if I'm mixing with vodka.
    Dr Pepper if I'm feeling bold.
    7Up if I'm feeling bold and there's no dr pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Caliden wrote: »
    I challenge anyone to be able tell the difference between regular coke and coke zero after an hour in the fridge.

apparently nobody can :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

H2Wooh! all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Diet Coke/anything, usually.
    Full Coke/anything when I'm feeling hungover and need sugar. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭chosen1

Caliden wrote: »

I think anyone with a sense of taste would easily distinguish between regular and diet versions.

Will pick up on that horrible false sweet aspartine anytime.

SV wrote: »
    :confused: That would make absolutely no sense.

yes i realise that edited there now, :D i knew there was something sugar related with diet drinks that made them bad!

i do love my (old skool) coca cola, lucozade, sprite, red bull...etc

but 9 times out of 10 ill drink water, nothing more refreshing than an ice cold water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm a bit of a diet coke fiend - it's my worst habit. I have switched to caffeine free and I try and restrict myself though. I don't like fat coke (too syrupy) or any other fizzy drinks (I wouldn't drink fanta or sprite or any of those)

My pet hate is when you go to a restaurant to eat and they only have pepsi max, no diet coke. The waiter always says "we have pepsi, is that ok?" Eh no, Pepsi is muck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Whats worse for you. Something that may cause cancer or something will you diabetes and dozens of other problems because you are overweight. I diet soft drinks are the lesser of two evils. Excessive sugar can cause diabetes and **** your liver etc

hfallada wrote: »
    Whats worse for you. Something that may cause cancer or something will you diabetes and dozens of other problems because you are overweight. I diet soft drinks are the lesser of two evils. Excessive sugar can cause diabetes and **** your liver etc

yeah but this sugar replacement stuff is proving to be more deadly than natural sugar,

and i love people who pull this sugar makes you obese argument, im the perfect anti-statement to that,

heavy sugar diet size 8-10 bitches! :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If you want a sugary drink go the full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can't drink any coca cola products after tasting the local colas here. The local colas are great, fritz kola is my favourite, and coca cola now feels like drinking a bag of sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

heavy sugar diet size 8-10 bitches! :P :pac:

You dont have to be fat to get Diabetes ;)

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    You dont have to be fat to get Diabetes ;)

i know, but my grandmother is 74 size 8-10, no diabetes, eats more sugar/fat/salt than i do :D (my mother is the same and she's worse than me too i at least try healthy eating sometimes)

we are an anomaly of a family, no physical health issues, other than 1 genetic unrelated to diet condition! :D

Advertisement