Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you goin' city boy? - the off topic and chat thread

• 30-06-2013 7:56pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any thing you want to post that doesn't fit in with the rest of the forum, shoot the breeze, banter, etc.

Normal charter rules apply.

Keep it clean and legal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

That last line just spoiled it all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Things I have been totally unprepared for, namely-questions from my young son. Feel free to suggest answers.

"What's the letter P made out of?"
    "If something is invisible does it still have elements?"
    "Do triangles really exist?"
    "Do you think aliens wash their clothes?"
    "Did the Vikings have pet lizards?"
    ...and trust me, there are lots more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Danpad wrote: »
    Things I have been totally unprepared for, namely-questions from my young son. Feel free to suggest answers.

"What's the letter P made out of?"
    "If something is invisible does it still have elements?"
    "Do triangles really exist?"
    "Do you think aliens wash their clothes?"
    "Did the Vikings have pet lizards?"
    ...and trust me, there are lots more!

P is made out of pixels. Its why its called P.
    Invisible things only have one element. The element of surprise.
    Only three sided triangles exist. If anyone tells you they saw a four sided one they are only lying.
    Aliens have their mums wash their clothes for them.
    Vikings preferred gizzards to lizards.

Any more I can field for you?

A few more from the curious mind:

"Why are there doors?"
    "Why are doors boring?"
    "Can aliens pretend to be vampires if they want?"
    Referring to dogs tails - "How fast is a wag?"
    "What does a kick in the 'wee-bag' feel like?"
    "Can snails eat stones?"
    "What does it feel like inside an orange?"

• Advertisement

Danpad wrote: »
    A few more from the curious mind:

tougher ones..Ill have to go with:

"Why are there doors?"
    did you know in Japan doors go sideways!!??
    "Why are doors boring?"
    to help you go to sleep when the door is closed
    "Can aliens pretend to be vampires if they want?"
    only illegal aliens
    Referring to dogs tails - "How fast is a wag?"
    best to rely on maths t=2pi*SQRT(l/g) where l is how long his tail is- lets go measure and check!
    "What does a kick in the 'wee-bag' feel like?"
    somehow worse than a kick in the big-bag
    "Can snails eat stones?"
    no, but they rock out at weekends
    "What does it feel like inside an orange?"
    it always makes me feel a bit blue :(

You might note that im not great at giving kids useful information

except that pendulum equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Sure there's a thread out there relating to this,but I cant find it...
    Anyway here we go,
    Is it just me or have I just watched (l8 last week actually)the most scariest MOST thrilling edge of your seat TV I've ever seen,and have I just watched the most amazing BRAVEST man ever? Nik Wallenda tightrope walk across Grand Canyon..
    First viewing very hard to watch second time even though I knew he made it,still hard to watch!

ardle1 wrote: »
    Sure there's a thread out there relating to this,but I cant find it...
    Anyway here we go,
    Is it just me or have I just watched (l8 last week actually)the most scariest MOST thrilling edge of your seat TV I've ever seen,and have I just watched the most amazing BRAVEST man ever? Nik Wallenda tightrope walk across Grand Canyon..
    First viewing very hard to watch second time even though I knew he made it,still hard to watch!

I still can't believe that guy had the cojones to do that with no safety harness or anything like that and he ran the last couple of metres!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I just wathed it, that guy has is crazy!! I also watched the one where his grandfather died, scary to watch...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I know this is slightly on topic, but what are good sites for buying surplus gear? I'm primarily looking to get boots and trousers (combats).

Or would I just be better off spinning down to capel street?

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I know this is slightly on topic, but what are good sites for buying surplus gear? I'm primarily looking to get boots and trousers (combats).

Check out the airsoft shops and i think camo.ie are in finglas they are cheap enough once they have your size that is

Has anyone ever checked out the army shop in Tallaght? Just wondering about the quality of gear etc. The website seems ok: http://www.armyshop.ie/ (no connection, have just been scoping it out for some time)

If you want a decent pair of boots that will last years incest in a pair of meildl army pro or army gore... You will not regreat it, trust me!

Army pro (high leg)
    http://www.protac.ie/store/index.php/footwear/meindl-army-pro.html

Army gore (not as high)
    http://www.protac.ie/store/index.php/footwear/meindl-army-gore.html

:eek:

Are they hand crafted by virgins or something? They'd want to be at that price! Ouch!

I got the army pro and from day 1 they were the most comfy boots iv ever worn, never had wet feet ether and they are still like new a year and half later.

I was goin through 2 pairs of cheap boots every year so they are not expensive if ya will get alot of use out of them

aaakev wrote: »
    I got the army pro and from day 1 they were the most comfy boots iv ever worn, never had wet feet ether and they are still like new a year and half later.

I was goin through 2 pairs of cheap boots every year so they are not expensive if ya will get alot of use out of them

The Sam vimes theory of boots and social class, for any discworld fans!

mawk wrote: »
    The Sam vimes theory of boots and social class, for any discworld fans!

As true today as it was back then!

Over the last 6 weeks ive been using an ecig http://www.bestecig.ie/ (no ties to this website/company) and ive gone from spending €70 a week on cigarettes to €35 a week on tobacco to around €20 a month on this ecig I started to use this to save money not to give up smoking I still have the odd cigarette (1 or 2 per day some days) its saving me a fortune I would recommend it to anyone who wants to give up or like me just wants to save money

Might be handy might be a hazard
    http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/

Saw the time stamp and thought I was gonna get some entertainment from a drunky ShadowFox. :D

• Advertisement

Saw the time stamp and thought I was gonna get some entertainment from a drunky ShadowFox. :D

No drunk me goes on eBay and buys sober me the weirdest things you could imagin. I bought a dvd player for a car once not too weird only problem is I don't drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Might be handy might be a hazard
    http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/

if the trail was ok it would be good in a shtf situation where you might need to carry everything it would be excellent I still would be afraid it might pull you off your feet.

sheesh wrote: »
    if the trail was ok it would be good in a shtf situation where you might need to carry everything it would be excellent I still would be afraid it might pull you off your feet.
    See the way I look at it is if I had it fully loaded and you where attacked by someone or something it would be a hazard you couldnt jump a wall with it or even on to the roof of a car or van without dropping it and loosing all your kit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Send Kevin McCloud in, he loves that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

A piranha cousin rumored to go after testicles might be invading brackish waters near Copenhagen.

http://www.livescience.com/38813-pacu-ball-cutter-fish-denmark.html

jesus.. you castrate one fisherman and its all you'll ever be known for..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's like that fish in the Amazon that can supposedly swims up the urine stream if you take a whizz in the river and gets lodged inside your todger :eek:

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's like that fish in the Amazon that can supposedly swims up the urine stream if you take a whizz in the river and gets lodged inside your todger :eek:

You just made my todger squirm. I've heard about that before, but I'm 50/50 that it's an urban legend.

To the snopes-mobile!

• Advertisement

To the snopes-mobile!

I should have known that the straight dope would have the answer. Love that site.

Long story short - it's possible!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2551/can-the-candir-fish-swim-upstream-into-your-urethra

Advertisement