Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comparing battery capacity

Options
  • 27-06-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a tablet, and I'm by no means a tech noob, there is one aspect of a tablet I'm not quite certain how to judge.

Can someone tell me, which is more important for battery life: the battery's mAh capacity or Wh capacity?

I know most manufacturers give mAh, but that could just be because it suits them to.

The tablet I want to get is the Toshiba Excite Pro, but Toshiba says the mAh is only around 4500 (ridiculously small compared to other tablets), but that it has a capacity of 33 Wh (which compares favourably with others, like the 22.2 Xperia Z).

I know how to convert between the two, and I also know tablets usually seem to have a voltage of 3.7, but Toshiba insist this one has a voltage of over 7, and that's why the mAh capacity is so low. But Toshiba Germany says it has a two-cell battery, so it's possible someone got mixed up, and it actually does have a 3.7 V battery (meaning the mAh capacity is around 9000mAh, and then it compares favourably on all fronts).

Long story short, I never trust manufacturer claims of "use for up to X hours", so I prefer to just know how good the battery itself is. But now I don't know how to compare. Should I realistically be looking for a higher Wh, or mAh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

There's a site called phone arena that gives independant reviews on tablets (and other tech). Also includes peoples reviews. I find their battery life figures to be honest. And about right( compared to what the manufacturers say.)

I couldn't comment on the battery specs though, and it also depends on the kind of hardware/screen in the tablet for how long the battery will actually last for.

Advertisement