Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

• 25-06-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

We have the "Today I Did Something To My Car" thread out in the main forum, and a lot of the posts on it pertain to detailing.
    I thought it would be a good idea to give our various detailing activities a thread in their proper home.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Today ( ahem, last night really!), I snow foamed the car
    Wasn't able to follow through and wash it properly as my back went, but couldn't believe how well it looked this morning!
    In fairness I have a fair bit of LSP on it, but there was ten days worth of road film and tree sap on it.

Well impressed.

Over to you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Last night I started what I'm hoping will be the final paint correction I have to do before I apply Gtechniq C1 followed by EXO.

Menzerna FG500 + Kestrel DAS-6 + Hexlogic orange pad = fast correction! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I have been working the last 7 days straight but in the evening been working on Dad's black Alfa 159 SW. Using AG Paint Renovator and an older rotary machine I'm incredibly impressed with the results - Thanks to dgt for the loan of the machine - it's really coming up very very well, was covered in Swirl marks all over and they seem to be vanishing.

I know it's probably not correction and it's more filling them in but I couldn't give a toss, it's coming up really well and the shine off it is delicious.

After that a quick layer of AG SRP and a coat of HD Wax and AG sealant and it's all ready to go. Taking it's sweet time though!

My days it's nice to have this sub-forum! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Last night I started what I'm hoping will be the final paint correction I have to do before I apply Gtechniq C1 followed by EXO.

Menzerna FG500 + Kestrel DAS-6 + Hexlogic orange pad = fast correction! :D

Braved the idea, and went looking for advice about wet sanding :eek:

You forgot about something! :pac:
    166man wrote: »
    I know it's probably not correction and it's more filling them in but I couldn't give a toss, it's coming up really well and the shine off it is delicious.

You'll be getting a small amount of correction...removing the very light swrils, and oxidation. Following up the the SRP, HD Wax and EGP will having it looking smashing from a few feet away...and thats exactly what you want....its a daily driver afer all! ;)
    Warning: the unknown to you know, the addiction has begun...those swirls will become more and more annoying....sooooooon, SOON you will become OCD
    :p :pac:

Folks,

Dont be shy with the pictures in this thread!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've no idea how to post pics on boards that i take on my phone :o

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    You'll be getting a small amount of correction...removing the very light swrils, and oxidation. Following up the the SRP, HD Wax and EGP will having it looking smashing from a few feet away...and thats exactly what you want....its a daily driver afer all! ;)
    Warning: the unknown to you know, the addiction has begun...those swirls will become more and more annoying....sooooooon, SOON you will become OCD
    :p :pac:

Whatever I'm doing seems to be working anyway, because it's coming up a treat from afar and up close, honestly all the surface scratches seem to be gone on the panels that I have worked on. A coat of SRP and HD Wax an it looks pretty savage IMO.

It's a flat black paint I should add and I begun work on the mothers Alfa Spider in Alfa red today and that's coming up very well also.

The OCD has long begun, I now clean and detar the wheel arches! Makes 'em so much easier to keep clean and I hate a clean car but with dirty tyres and wheel arches! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

not today it was thrusday in preperation for the donegal international rally
    but i washed the car
    detared it then started claying useing auto glym quick detailer spray as lube and a g3 claybar
    gave it 2 coats of auto glym srp and then a coat of mcguires next gen 2.0 wax
    its on for another coat of wax tomorrow evening or mabey 2 because 4 washs in 5 days useing car wash dertergent has ruined my beading :( well my friends still think its great and the car is gleaming but im not happy with it :P this cleaning has beacame an obcession
    i dressed the tires useing auto glym tire dressing and polished all the windows with auto glym glass polish (if someone could reacomed something better for my windscreen please do cause the goasting is driveing me mentle

...I hate a clean car but with dirty tyres and wheel arches! :o:D

Keep up the good work and stick up a few pictures!
    The tyres is such an easy job, and it majorly lets a very clean car down when tyres are dirty....the car doesnt look right!
    fanadman1 wrote: »
    its on for another coat of wax tomorrow evening or mabey 2 because 4 washs in 5 days useing car wash dertergent has ruined my beading :(

....polished all the windows with auto glym glass polish (if someone could reacomed something better for my windscreen please do cause the goasting is driveing me mentle

Get yourself some pH neutral shampoo.....4 washes in 5 days :eek: :cool: You'd need to apply a coat of wax after every wash with the detergent - not fun!
    Regular washing should be a wash, dry and perhaps a quick rub down of a quick detailer to keep shine levels up!

For the windscreen; I'll use one of two things.
    AG Fast Glass is handy - keep it in the boot of the car along with a roll of kitchen paper or a microfiber. Spray on, buff off and should be streak free.
    Orchard Autocare Glass Cleanse; dilutable to your requirements, but its handy also, as I put some into the windscreen washer bottle.

I don't know how you're getting ghosting on the windscreen, possibly not letting it dry enough before buffing? I use AG glass polish all the time and I find it's brilliant.

Or perhaps applying it too thick?
    I've never used it, but with 99.9% of detailing products, its better to apply them in thin layers, twice or three times, than one lashed on layer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

[/QUOTE]c
    Get yourself some pH neutral shampoo.....4 washes in 5 days :eek: :cool: You'd need to apply a coat of wax after every wash with the detergent - not fun!
    Regular washing should be a wash, dry and perhaps a quick rub down of a quick detailer to keep shine levels up!

For the windscreen; I'll use one of two things.
    AG Fast Glass is handy - keep it in the boot of the car along with a roll of kitchen paper or a microfiber. Spray on, buff off and should be streak free.
    Orchard Autocare Glass Cleanse; dilutable to your requirements, but its handy also, as I put some into the windscreen washer bottle.[/QUOTE]c

it was just with the rally the poor car got a months worth of washing in one week :L it also done a months worth of miles in a week :L i applyed a wet wax after each wash just to try and keep it shiney but its not the same

Folks,

Dont be shy with the pictures in this thread!

;)

As requested albeit fairly poor pictures hopefully you get the idea!

Wheel of Alfa 156 after detar, clay polish and sealant.

3nza.jpg

Rear passenger side wing photo after using rotary with AG Paint renovator...

m8b2.jpg

Finally Alfa 159 with the entire back and rear sides up to the rear doors detarred, clayed, paint cleansed, compounded with AG Paint Renovator and finished with layer of HD Wax. You can see the difference with this one hopefully! The wheel was also detarred, clayed polished and sealed and the tyre shined with Meguiars endurance gel.

gm59.jpg

Sorry for low quality pictures but you get the idea! Plenty more to follow btw...;)

Good work! ;)

Good work! ;)

Nothing like your E39 I'm afraid, I'm chuffed with it though. Never thought I'd have the 159 looking like that considering it spends 90% of it's day sitting on building sites around the country. Amazing what you can do with the right mindset, good advice and the right products.

It's the most satisfying way to chill out during an evening for myself too...:o

Unfortunately at the moment the E39 isn't as tidy as some of the pictures you may have seen! It needs two or three days TLC.

Unfortunately at the moment the E39 isn't as tidy as some of the pictures you may have seen! It needs two or three days TLC.

Well you'd want to get on that so! C'mon keep up with the rest of us..:D

I joke, what have you to do with it?

Only ever got a light machine polish when it got it.....3 years ago :eek:
    Its not really bad, but needs a bit of attention....didnt really keep on top of it over the winter and its just a bit grubby. Only ever got a quick clean, so in around badges, door shuts, wheels, etc, need a good seeing to!
    Dont get me wrong - spend an hour on it, and it cleans up pretty well! Just not to the way I usually have it!

Only ever got a light machine polish when it got it.....3 years ago :eek:
    Its not really bad, but needs a bit of attention....didnt really keep on top of it over the winter and its just a bit grubby. Only ever got a quick clean, so in around badges, door shuts, wheels, etc, need a good seeing to!
    Dont get me wrong - spend an hour on it, and it cleans up pretty well! Just not to the way I usually have it!

Is it a 525i? I'd love to see it...:D

Yeah, its a 525i

You'd love to see it....now you mean?? To see how bad it is :p Hate bringing it anywhere where there is the possibility of petrol heads being around.....they'd be looking at it, thinking Errrrr.....isnt he a detailer! :p

Yeah, its a 525i

You'd love to see it....now you mean?? To see how bad it is :p Hate bringing it anywhere where there is the possibility of petrol heads being around.....they'd be looking at it, thinking Errrrr.....isnt he a detailer! :p

Get the fvcking finger out will ya :mad:

• Advertisement

Get the fvcking finger out will ya :mad:

You too.....we have a Detailing Forum!

You too.....we have a Detailing Forum!

I ordered C1 and EXO today....160 fooken euro :eek:

I'm working on D/Aing the worst bits on the car at the moment. Not many of them but overall the car is fairly scratch free especially after my last D/A job.

Tis worth it though! ;)

Yeah, its a 525i

Lovely stuff!

Ah course not now, I'm only just in from washing the Spider again! :D

Whenever you get it spick and span, giz a shout, I have a soft spot for E39's...:o

Whenever you get it spick and span, giz a shout, I have a soft spot for E39's...:o

Will do....where are you based - Swords here!

E39's are starting to get dated, but still a cracking desgin IMO. I'd have an E39 M5 in the morning if I could afford the tax and maintenance! :o

Something like this....Mark Webber's Ex E39

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

done a bit today and took some of the worlds most appalling photos too which i am quite sad about as my phone usually does a pretty good job :)

on the bodywork i used werkstat prime followed by werkstat addicted to glos, which i bought on a recommendation for my white vitz but seems to be serving the black reasonably well too :)

i used good old turtle wax on the wheels and meguiars endurance gel on the tyres, werkstat on the windows followed by rain-x and auto glym vinyl and rubber care on the dash.

i suppose more a valet than a detail but the car is never in a bad way really this time of year. and also i'm of the stingy mindset that a product doesn't have to cost the earth or contain unicorn piss to be any good. :)

2djtbh2.jpg
    2rzclrn.jpg
    2vj7ep5.jpg
    erii9x.jpg
    2j2ta4y.jpg
    6783ut.jpg

Super clean as always Andy, impressive stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Looks Fantastic Andy! Are the mudflaps new?

I did a bit of detailing today too but I have no pics.

Last night my sister bought a Bangernomics Punto and I spent most of today washing, detaring, claying, polishing and sealing it:)
    I have never seen a car with so much sh!te bonded to the paint! I was often difficult to get the clay to move across the surface at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Well this evening I tackled my filthy engine bay. Shes not as shiny as I want her to be but shes a hell of a lot better.
    Used 1500 grit sandpaper and kept it wet and it worked like magic and alot of elbow grease.

Unfortunately it didnt remove the dirt/grease along the lines part. Would a wire brush remove this?
    Anyone got any suggestions how to make it shinier...:)
    Compulsory before and after pics. Hopefully I can get the rest of the car looking like this:D

[IMG][/img]4A067DD5_zpsa0d3f978.jpg

After
    [IMG][/img]5E24BBCF_zps63d19d97.jpg

Cheers to Curran for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Looks Fantastic Andy! Are the mudflaps new?

I did a bit of detailing today too but I have no pics.

Last night my sister bought a Bangernomics Punto and I spent most of today washing, detaring, claying, polishing and sealing it:)
    I have never seen a car with so much sh!te bonded to the paint! I was often difficult to get the clay to move across the surface at all!

nope, flaps were always on it. i enjoy how the flaps stop the majority of solid debris hitting the car. they are removable with just 3 self tappers (carefully placed) if i ever change my mind on them visually.

get pictures up of the cunto when you can! give us a bit of info on it.

Advertisement