Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Review

• 22-06-2013 8:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So i put this Classifieds site together it's not 100% fully functional,only a few more things to iron out and i'm there.

It's still in testing phase on a test server with test ads

http://forsaleireland.net/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Not a design related question, but why do you think there is demand for another generic classifieds ad website in Ireland?

Design wise, graphics (logo and header in particular) and colour choices are poor, about ten years outdated with the textured background in the header. Some aspects aren't bad, but this is just an off the shelf template included with the software I would imagine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭lewishamilton

ImDave wrote: »
    Not a design related question, but why do you think there is demand for another generic classifieds ad website in Ireland?

Design wise, graphics (logo and header in particular) and colour choices are poor, about ten years outdated with the textured background in the header. Some aspects aren't bad, but this is just an off the shelf template included with the software I would imagine?
    but why do you think there is demand for another generic classifieds ad website in Ireland?

why not??

every aspect of the site can be changed easily,it's still in testing phase,i am still working on it and will be improved

all comments are welcome,it helps me to improve the site

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

why not??

Because you are wasting YOUR TIME

redman85 wrote: »
    Because you are wasting YOUR TIME

no it will move

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

no it will move

Can't argue with your entrepreneurial spirit anyway!

Listen - the market is absolutely flooded with people launching generic classified ad websites that all do the exact same thing. So many come and go on a regular basis. Why will anyone list something on your website instead of Adverts, Done Deal etc?

In my opinion, the only way to launch a successful classifieds website in Ireland is to go really category and niche specific. Alongside that, offer something different to your users that a generic classifieds website won't.

• Advertisement

Can't argue with your entrepreneurial spirit anyway!

Listen - the market is absolutely flooded with people launching generic classified ad websites that all do the exact same thing. So many come and go on a regular basis. Why will anyone list something on your website instead of Adverts, Done Deal etc?

In my opinion, the only way to launch a successful classifieds website in Ireland is to go really category and niche specific. Alongside that, offer something different to your users that a generic classifieds website won't.

this is the thing,at the moment i cannot compete with them and it's simple as that,but when 1 person posts an add another will follow and hopefully so on!!
    Alongside that, offer something different to your users that a generic classifieds website won't.

All ads are completely free for everything,we don't require payment for anything BUT we will be relying on donations to keep it up and running,as for now if and when it does start to move i will move the site to a much bigger server

again i still have a few bugs to iron out (nothing major) and people can still advertise if they wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

As is, this has so many critical flaws that it is guaranteed to fail. There are dozens of classified sites reviewed here and in the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum that you really need to read before daring to go further as you have made many of the classic classified site mistakes. (Just about every one of those sites is on or hovering over the scrapheap). For starters, your revenue model is, well, missing - fatally so. The notion of relying on donations is plain madness.

Take the advice given to you. Forget classifieds unless you have serious backing (7 figures) or a killer USP and know exactly what you are doing. You have none of these requirements. There are many other better business opportunities available that your time would be better spent on.

we will see,i know exactly what i am doing

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

we will see,i know exactly what i am doing

no offensive but you don't...

What market research have you done? What is your primary business model? What sets you apart from the likes done deal and adverts? Why are you using a .net domain instead of a .ie?

also the site doesnt even display correctly in Safari 6.0.5 http://cl.ly/image/1v3c0f0Z083p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Feedback can be very difficult to listen to especially when you have already invested so much time and energy. There are a lot of experienced valid points above that you should take your time digesting.

• Advertisement

redman85 wrote: »

What market research have you done? What is your primary business model? What sets you apart from the likes done deal and adverts? Why are you using a .net domain instead of a .ie?

also the site doesnt even display correctly in Safari 6.0.5 http://cl.ly/image/1v3c0f0Z083p

i could use a .com if i wanted,or even the new .pw..eircom are .net (eircom.net)
    what's the problem,cause it's not a .ie,complain to eircom

you use safari,and you complain to me?? try refreshing your browser next time

ok i will prove ya wrong,time is precious and it will take time

@ redman85 you want to put a wager on it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Complete laymans point of view... I think it is easy to navigate to be honest.

It might be generic, but as you say, one add may well follow another. I think the problem is getting people onto the site in the first place, hence the comments about needing alot of capital behind you. Done deal is actually pretty ****, but they had the money to come out of nowhere and keep advertising relentlessly until they reached the critical point in terms of the volume of adds. Now it is the go -to site for certain categories of stuff at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

i could use a .com if i wanted,or even the new .pw..eircom are .net (eircom.net)

Don't post a website in a reviews section and not even debate or consider the views being expressed by others. You say you know what you are doing. Frankly, you don't have a clue and have deluded yourself somehow that you actually know what you are doing from either a tech perspective or a business perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A small bit of basic searching gives the following:

Safari has 58% of the phablet browser market, 6-8% of the desktop market and around 14% of the total market.

Aside from that, your markup is has basic layout issues in all browsers.

I'd be tempted to take your bet, but you need your money for other far more pressing things, nevermind the total lack of budget for this venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Eircom are .net because that extension was originally intended for use by network providers such as Eircom.

It's another generic classifieds ads website. What are you going to do differently to everyone else?

It's not necessarily a waste of time because you will learn from it. You should probably listen to some of the advice in here though.

Slightly improved

http://forsaleireland.net/

Now you can edit your ad and receive pm's from other members (flash message)

Manage Your Alerts
    Add pics to your Profile
    Watchlist
    Push your ad to the top and a few more small basics
    Also i will be doing a bit more coding along the way

Nothing amazing at the moment but i will keep trying :)

Update!!

Theme updated
    Search County and Area's updated
    New footer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Is it just me or is there no Dublin listing in the locations bar?

I would give my feedback but you don't seem very interested in taking anyone's suggestions on board.

I would give my feedback but you don't seem very interested in taking anyone's suggestions on board.

i visit the forum on a daily basis..

Dropdown menu select county e.g Dublin,then select an area in Dublin on the other dropdown menu

Thanks

When someone posts an ad it shows on the right (locations bar) how many ads there is for that county

if there are no ads in any 1 county it will not show up on the right (Locations)

So if ya cannot see Dublin there,there is no ads for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

He's not interested in feedback or suggestions, just validation

cormee wrote: »

@cormee this is Website Reviews not a Debate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You might want to see if there's anything you can do about the performance of the site, current page speed grade F 28%

This page also give you hints at what you need to tune:

http://gtmetrix.com/reports/forsaleireland.net/JVWAjip2

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Error today when searching
    Osclass database server is not available.
    followed by a 504 gateway timeout.
    Gateway Timeout
    Server error - server 31.170.163.124 is unreachable at this moment.
    Please retry the request or contact your adminstrator.

Graham wrote: »
    You might want to see if there's anything you can do about the performance of the site, current page speed grade F 28%

This page also give you hints at what you need to tune:

http://gtmetrix.com/reports/forsaleireland.net/JVWAjip2

Thanks for that but loading fine on my end

biko wrote: »
    Error today when searching

followed by a 504 gateway timeout.

yeah sometimes it might do that gotta check out other servers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for that but loading fine on my end

That's only important if you're the only user, you decide.

cormee wrote: »

Or advertising.

Btw OP the header logo picture thing is incredibly bad. I keep thinking it's one of those ads you see on streaming sites. Is the logo actually in Times New Roman?

Or advertising.

Btw OP the header logo picture thing is incredibly bad. I keep thinking it's one of those ads you see on streaming sites. Is the logo actually in Times New Roman?
    Or advertising

well that's exactly what the site is about!!

And again please stay on topic,after all this is Website Reviews thread,not a slagging thread or a debate thread

• Advertisement

well that's exactly what the site is about!!

It's really not.

Advertisement