Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in Scotland

Options
  • 07-08-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Basically I have done an BA in Arts in UCC. I chose it first day as wasn't really sure what exactly I wanted to do. Now, however with one year left, I really want to go to the UK and do Fashion Marketing. I have contacted the unis there who offer this course and they said they would accept me as an Undergrad and I would have to apply through the UCAS system. There are two unis in Scotland that seem unreal, but am not sure about the fees. On the citizen's information website it says

'Undergraduate courses
    Scotland: Scottish students and EU students who started their first full-time degree course in Scotland do not pay fees.'

Does that mean that I am eligible for not paying fees? I have contacted the SAAS and am still waiting to hear back from there.
    Does anybody know if you are doing another BA (the first in Ireland) and the second in Scotland, if you have to pay full fees ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Hi there,
    I'm also in the same boat-thinking of going to Scotland to study. We qualify as a home country so we have to pay a contribution(around 1800pounds) but you just apply to SAAS and the send you out a check for it. Thats what im hearing from last years students.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

but im not an expert!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fearghlas

Hi,

Basically I have done an BA in Arts in UCC. I chose it first day as wasn't really sure what exactly I wanted to do. Now, however with one year left, I really want to go to the UK and do Fashion Marketing. I have contacted the unis there who offer this course and they said they would accept me as an Undergrad and I would have to apply through the UCAS system. There are two unis in Scotland that seem unreal, but am not sure about the fees. On the citizen's information website it says

'Undergraduate courses
    Scotland: Scottish students and EU students who started their first full-time degree course in Scotland do not pay fees.'

Does that mean that I am eligible for not paying fees? I have contacted the SAAS and am still waiting to hear back from there.
    Does anybody know if you are doing another BA (the first in Ireland) and the second in Scotland, if you have to pay full fees ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Ta

I am looking at the possibilities of doing a second degree in scotland . And like you I am checking out fees. Reading that quote of yours from citizens advice
    is a little confusing . You, as an EU student would not be entitled because you have already probably been funded on some sort of EU funded grant scheme in Ireland (guessing). If it was your very first degree course ever then I think you'd be eligible in Scotland.
    I doubt it means that if you are studying for first time in Scotland specifically then you are entitled to free fees. But I may be wrong . From the research I have done I dont think its possible to get free fees for second degree in Sscotland
    . What might be more likely is the possibility of bank loan after getting course. I'll be very interested to know what the SAAS said to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

This was the case a few years ago alright but I don't know about now. Anyone else care to share info on the matter? I'm looking at doing a second degree and doing it here looks a tad expensive......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brianicle

I am in the same boat as ye were last year... Did ye ever find out whether or not u can get funding for a second degree in Scotland or what's the story

• Advertisement
Advertisement