Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the cigs first time

Options
  • 25-06-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just a quick back story

im 20 years old, started smoking at 12years of age
    yes i know , i was a kid i wanted to look cool bla bla bla i was an idiot full stop really.

the addiction didnt really hit me until i was 15-16 since before then i was only having probably 4 smokes a day and didnt have the money to have more then that a day living off pocket money and all :pac:
    but as i got a job when i was 16, basicly i smoked alot more a day

on average i smoke 10-18 smokes a day, really depends what type of day it is, and if i am bored or not

but in the past 2 years since i lost my job due to the recession, i went on the rollies
    particularly amber leaf if i want to mention names.
    i smoke about 15-20 of them a day, i even tryed buying normal cigs again but for some reason only amber leaf can get rid of my craving fully for an hour or so

reason i moved to amber leaf is because it was cheaper,
    but i only relised, its so much more dirtier then a normal smoke, and yet i cant stop smoking them :(

my girlfriend of 4 years also smokes, shes about as addicted as i am, she has tryed to give up, but she aint fully committed to giving up so she always fails and has a smoke the next day

at least she tryed though

i can feel my skin turning to rubber, im only young, and my skin feels really hard and horrible, my teeth are yellowish, 2 of my fingers are a browner yellow colour from the amber leaf, i cant breath properly while running, i feel like i do be coughing up a lung and a sore throat after i run
    i can run about 20 feet? and i nearly fall from exhaustion

i plan on giving up the fags tonight having my last one before bed, since my craving in the morning for a smoke isnt as bad as night time, i think its best i wait until bed time

im going cold turkey, and plan on turning my life around, i know its going to be very difficult,
    i admit, i do love smoking, if it wasnt bad for my health i wouldnt give it up, but the fact that i feel like im 80 years old in a 20 year old body, doest feel right at all

il keep my self updated here everyday for the next couple of weeks, next post being tomorrow afternoon, tell yas all about how bad i want a smoke :D

just thought i would start a thread, as i feel it would help me to "blog" my experiences down knowing im not the only one trying to give up

thanks for reading lads, i know it was a very long read :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

4 cigarettes a day when you were 12 haha :pac: madness! Anyway it doesn't matter now, I hope it goes well for you - and you can do it :D

Keep documenting on here to put pressure on yourself! You can do it!!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

BGozIE wrote: »
    4 cigarettes a day when you were 12 haha :pac: madness! Anyway it doesn't matter now, I hope it goes well for you - and you can do it :D

Keep documenting on here to put pressure on yourself! You can do it!!

Good Luck!

i know :L i got pocket money when i was 12, 20 euro a week haha id buy john player blue 20 smokes, them 20 would last me 5 days, then id buy another pack which would tie me over til my next pocket money day haha i had it all sussed :pac:

but of course as ya get older , the more you smoke
    i feel confident about giving up, just not looking forward to the cravings because i can get very very moody and angry , which i dont mean to be but cant help it,

thanks mate:) reading everyone elses storys on here on giving them up makes me think very positive

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

I wish you the very best of luck!!!!!! Keep us posted!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

1st off let me say well done for doing this and good luck. I smoked 20/30 a day for 25 years and i gave them up last year 1st of April 360 days ago. No i am not counting lol but i did get a great app for free called quit now that really helped me. You stick in the date you quit how many a day etc and it gives you stats showing how many days ur off smokes and how much you have saved and cigarettes not smoked for instance mine are

Days without smoking : 360 days 04:34 min
    Cigarettes not smoked : 10,805
    Money saved : €1710.79

It also gives you health stats ... mine are

Carbon monoxide and oxygen levels back to normal 100%

Sudden death risk lowered 100%

taste and smell regained 100%

standardization of respiratory unction 100%

heart disease death reduced to half 98.68%

Risk of developing lung cancer at the same level as a non smoker 19.73%

The reason i am showing you these is to encourage you. I also used to get outta breath running up the stairs now i can run for a bus and not feel like i am dying. Also it helps to look at the stats every day for me personally i decided there was no way those were going back to 0

Anyway good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

as my husband always said 'never give up giving up'. it took me a few tries to quit and you are very young but even a good break from them will help. if you go back on them, give up again, and again until you have it cracked.

one thing to remember smoking is seriously uncool and anti social these days and it costs a bloody fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

as my husband always said 'never give up giving up'. it took me a few tries to quit and you are very young but even a good break from them will help. if you go back on them, give up again, and again until you have it cracked.

one thing to remember smoking is seriously uncool and anti social these days and it costs a bloody fortune.

This^^^

I also smoked rollies op and i have saved €1700 in less than a year if that was "real" ciggies it would be closer to $5000 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

bumper234 wrote: »
    This^^^

I also smoked rollies op and i have saved €1700 in less than a year

I know exactly what you mean m8, but maybe the above quote speaks volumes :D

Anyway, I smoked minimum of 60 per day and gave up the day the smoking ban was introduced here.
    I went cold turkey, no patches or gum etc.
    I did read Alan Carr's book, maybe it helped maybe it didn't, but anyway still off them and never looked back.
    Good luck

Advertisement