Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distances marked in Phoenix Park

• 21-06-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

If you train in the Park, you might have seen the markings on the Khyber.

From the white poles at the bottom, every 50m is clearly marked and numbered, which is really useful for anyone doing hill intervals up to 800m.

I vaguely remember seing a few other random ones but I haven't really been paying attention so I was just wondering if there are any other stretches that are marked that people know of? Upper Glen, 15 acres, or Chesterfield Avenue.

I'm looking for a marked 1k stretch but interested in any others too.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

15 acres used to be marked, not sure if it still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

There used to be markings on park-side footpath leading from the Island Bridge gate to the Chapelizod gate, presumably Donore used them? Haven't run that way in a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Sacksian wrote: »
    If you train in the Park, you might have seen the markings on the Khyber.

From the white poles at the bottom, every 50m is clearly marked and numbered, which is really useful for anyone doing hill intervals up to 800m.

I vaguely remember seing a few other random ones but I haven't really been paying attention so I was just wondering if there are any other stretches that are marked that people know of? Upper Glen, 15 acres, or Chesterfield Avenue.

I've seen them on the Khyber Road alright, but haven't noticed them anywhere else and I run in different parts of the Park a few times a week. I have to admit, I never really took much notice of the markings on the Khyber Road before, but good to know they're there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

There's a granite stone on the Main Road opposite the Civil Service Cricket Club marked with a zero. Each quarter mile is marked by similar granite stones as you go up the road towards the Phoenix Monument. From there on up the Main Road, each half mile is marked. The 2 mile stone is a couple of hundred yards after turning right at Mountjoy Cross. If you continue along the back road, each half mile is marked as far as the 4 mile stone outside Garda HQ.
    I always found it handy for doing half mile reps or 4 mile time trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

There's a granite stone on the Main Road opposite the Civil Service Cricket Club marked with a zero. Each quarter mile is marked by similar granite stones as you go up the road towards the Phoenix Monument. From there on up the Main Road, each half mile is marked. The 2 mile stone is a couple of hundred yards after turning right at Mountjoy Cross. If you continue along the back road, each half mile is marked as far as the 4 mile stone outside Garda HQ.
    I always found it handy for doing half mile reps or 4 mile time trials.

Exactly what I was looking for - can't wait to check it out now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ Kelsey Refined Hitter

Why don't you bring a garmin and a can of spraypaint next time you're heading for a session in the park. Be doing us all a service! :pac:

Why don't you bring a garmin and a can of spraypaint next time you're heading for a session in the park. Be doing us all a service! :pac:

The reason I was asking is that my garmin's stopped working and I thought I'd go back to basics for a while.

(Possibly not the only reason I won't be taking you up on your suggestion!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ Kelsey Refined Hitter

The reason I was asking is that my garmin's stopped working and I thought I'd go back to basics for a while.

(Possibly not the only reason I won't be taking you up on your suggestion!)

I was joking of course - I couldn't condone desecrating such an amenity as the park. Great place to run.

I wasn't aware of the granite stones though - that's a good one to know.

Before I got a garmin I used to pre-plan routes on Map My Run or some other site and try to memorise the route. As a result I became fairly good at estimating distances :D

I still try to guess distances to a certain point in the distance when on a run and then check the garmin to see if I'm right or wrong..... Am I the only one who does this?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The Sli na Slainte markers on the footpath both sides of Chesterfield Ave are at 1Km intervals. More info on www.irishheart.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Just wondering about distance markings around Dublin City (400s +).

Are there any still in the Phoenix Park or elsewhere?

Thanks

• Advertisement

demfad wrote: »
    Just wondering about distance markings around Dublin City (400s +).

Are there any still in the Phoenix Park or elsewhere?

Thanks

Loads of distances marked out from the bus stop at the Chapelizod Gate opposite Donore - all measured accurately. And scotindublin recently pointed out to me that the path around the pitches in the Park has the bike symbols 100m apart (1 is out but they’re pretty accurate).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Loads of distances marked out from the bus stop at the Chapelizod Gate opposite Donore - all measured accurately. And scotindublin recently pointed out to me that the path around the pitches in the Park has the bike symbols 100m apart (1 is out but they’re pretty accurate).

That's perfect. thanks a million.

Advertisement