Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gathering are you ashamed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It puts us out there which is no bad thing. Some of the so called Gathering 'events' in the list are a bit naff.

'Peter and Andrea's wedding in Cavan'

So can we all gatecrash that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

Hootanany wrote: »
    I am.

I'm not

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's all a ploy anyway.

I've heard it is to raise an army to a size that this island has never seen before. Then we shall march across the boarder and take what is rightfully ours.

After we have a few pints first, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I think it's a great idea. We had a bit of a shindig under the auspices of the Gathering and it was an excellent night. It was a reunion of a club that I was involved in in my teenage years. Everyone there really enjoyed the night. I enjoyed it because the first boy to break my heart turned up and he is now obese, bald and ugly and I was able to say to myself "You might have married a complete b0ll0x but least he was good looking"!!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

beggars can't be choosers I suppose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

It's a very Irish thing to begrudge or look down on other people's efforts.

I don't know where it comes from, but we seem to do it spectacularly well.

I have criticisms of how certain things were organised such as the postcards that we all got at the start of the year with no postage paid licence on them (you only pay for what goes through the system, instead the public are forced to buy a stamp & probably didn't send them), nor any traceability, (they could have offered a 5 star return trip in 2014 & collected the postcards at the airports), so that we'd find out how effective they were.

But, it's an excellent campaign, with many highlights. NYE & the American football being just two. There was a missed opportunity in not paying for the likes of Ellen, Seacrest, Letterman Conan & Leno as well as major radio broadcasters to be here over March 17th & broadcast for the week, but there's always next year.

And I hope it will be next year & the year after & the year after that etc.

We have the month of March to celebrate & capitalise on being Irish, it should be designate gathering month & we try to make it an annual thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

If the faces of the Obama kids are anything to go by, I pity any tourist who has to march around our rain sodden island!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    If the faces of the Obama kids are anything to go by, I pity any tourist who has to march around our rain sodden island!

If the faces of their parents are anything to go by, tourists will have a ball!

Plenty of old ruins to look at, Glendalough...Bono...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Plenty of old ruins to look at, Glendalough...Bono...

syria afghanistan iraq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭bradlente

Come out and show your face The Gathering.

Prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hootanany wrote: »
    The Gathering are you ashamed

Where's that one on? Might go to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

It has brought a huge amount of money into the country, which is never a bad thing. I work with a museum and the amount of people visiting from across the globe (Not just UK and US) because of it is massive.

It has brought a huge amount of money into the country, which is never a bad thing. I work with a museum and the amount of people visiting from across the globe (Not just UK and US) because of it is massive.

where's all the money going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

where's all the money going?

Into hotels, pubs, resaturants, bus companies etc.

You know, the people who create jobs and keep the country going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Am I ashamed at any attempt to put on cultural and interesting events in my country that also encourages foreign tourists and occasionally even small spending by people that in turn helps the economy. :confused: no, not in the slightest. It is a great idea and has been very nice to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm always recommending folks to come over and visit Ireland over the years - but I do feel this event is very manufactured. That said; I wish them well and hope that it leaves a lasting legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Am I ashamed of d'Gathering? I'm in 2 minds about this. While it's doing a decent job of boosting tourism, to me it just seems like diddly-eye, "top o' d'morning" shite.

*awaits the usual "anti-begrudgery" posts*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Am I ashamed of d'Gathering? I'm in 2 minds about this. While it's doing a decent job of boosting tourism, to me it just seems like diddly-eye, "top o' d'morning" shite.

*awaits the usual "anti-begrudgery" posts*
    I don't see anything wrong with that, it's just the "Let's attack it because it's to do with Ireland and the Irish government and we gotta be seen to be attacking anything and everything to do with same" attitude, with no further thought, that I find petty and childish. Oh they're so "cool" and cynical. Whatever about embarrassed, it's laughable to be "ashamed" of it, which I doubt the OP actually is. :)
    Someone saying it's "disgusting" and comparing it to JobBridge is... wtf? No abuse of people, choice in the matter. Bitching about it for no real reason is clearly just a bandwagon.

I'd agree about the diddly-iddly stuff but feck it, it's an initiative to boost tourism and thus revenue - that's what's most important. And the naysayers are the very people who are angered by the economic quagmire we're in. Tbh I'm not actually seeing that much coverage of it - it doesn't seem as all-encompassing as some make out, IMO. Seems to be more of a "Look and you'll find" kinda thing from what I'm observing.

As for it being manufactured, isn't every tourism drive manufactured?

If you were from Britain, would you want to go on holidays in Ireland do you think? I guess the West Coast is lovely but Scotland has all that we have really doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

^^We already get alot of tourists from Britain actually.... I'm not sure why tourists love Ireland so much but they do so that's great. I suppose the Galway races attracts alot of British in particular, cos they love horses, gambling and drinking too.:D

Considering the amount of Spanish students each summer, it's not all Irish dispora visiting (though that helps too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I remember a bus load of Irish-Americans came to my church about 10 years ago with cameras. It made the sunday morning mass a bit more entertaining though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If you were from Britain, would you want to go on holidays in Ireland do you think? I guess the West Coast is lovely but Scotland has all that we have really doesn't it?
    You're forgetting the one big problem with Scotland...

Jimoslimos wrote: »

It's full of moths

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Is it the crap weather, the unintelligible accents or the sectarian divides??

Valetta wrote: »
    Into hotels, pubs, resaturants, bus companies etc.

You know, the people who create jobs and keep the country going.

you would think so would't you - however it is really going to all these great new tax schemes that they have built up for us - so whoever "makes" the money end up paying it all to the govt in taxes, who will then wander away with big fat pensions in their big fat ars*s like the ones before them, laughing all the way to the bank, with their cronies.

and that my dear, is the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Scotland has plenty to offer, it's got probably some of the most unspoilt wilderness in the British isles. But Ireland has a better image and seems more foreign than Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's full of moths
    Is it the crap weather, the unintelligible accents or the sectarian divides??
    Och aye no! These are all tolerable, midges are annoying though.

The problem with Scotland is the Scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

you would think so would't you - however it is really going to all these great new tax schemes that they have built up for us - so whoever "makes" the money end up paying it all to the govt in taxes, who will then wander away with big fat pensions in their big fat ars*s like the ones before them, laughing all the way to the bank, with their cronies.

and that my dear, is the bigger picture.

Complete bullcrap.

Are you really saying we shouldn't encourage tourism and the jobs it brings because in your mind the government will waste any additional taxes?

That's one warped sense if logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Its true though.

Advertisement