Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How you got better

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

I've taken up a particular interest in texas hold'em poker in the last few months, I find it very enjoyable.

I've read and watched a fair amount of material and played the free money online games along with a regular heads up against a friend. I improved right at the beginning and now feel like I have hit a bit of a wall.

I was wondering how you feel you have improved and what were the best things you did to do so. Not necessarily specifics or definite ways that anyone can improve, but your personal story. How long did it take you until you felt like a solid player etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I've taken up a particular interest in texas hold'em poker in the last few months, I find it very enjoyable.

I've read and watched a fair amount of material and played the free money online games along with a regular heads up against a friend. I improved right at the beginning and now feel like I have hit a bit of a wall.

I was wondering how you feel you have improved and what were the best things you did to do so. Not necessarily specifics or definite ways that anyone can improve, but your personal story. How long did it take you until you felt like a solid player etc.

Sounds trite but playing more is the best way to improve.
    Maybe put €10 on a site and play some small tourneys, you will learn nothing/zero/nada worthwhile from the play money games.

Or get a few mates to play a €5er tourney or something like that. Playing 1 mate head-up isn't too helpful as you are missing out on lots of basic stuff like position.
    Position (the importance of how close you are to the button and how it should influence your actions preflop, and whether you are going to be last or first to act post flop) is probably the greatest penny drop for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

read a site called 2+2 forums for help.its great

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realtivity

you will learn nothing/zero/nada worthwhile from the play money games.

In fact you will learn a lot of very bad habits that are tough to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

wally1990 wrote: »
    read a site called 2+2 forums for help.its great

This. Read strat posts and post hands of your own. Don't bother with NVG or BBV but the strategy sections are good you just have to learn the ones to avoid and the ones to pay attention to which will quickly become apparent.

Advertisement