Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do men tend to be submissive in relationships?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

If someone was carrying on that way, Corinthian, I'd end the relationship. It's not worth the heartache. Believe it or not, most women want the quiet life too. I couldn't imagine co-existing with a nag tbh.

Actually when it comes to tidiness, my boyfriend would be more tidy than me on the whole. I'm not a pig and I am tidy but my idea of tidiness is not his (Spaniards are renowned for their obsessive cleaniness - they spend more on cleaning products than any other nationality, for example) but a couple of times I've been a "victim" of the passive-aggressive approach where I've had to ask what's wrong only to be confronted with a, "Nothing". I'd almost prefer the nagging to that tbh. I'd finally get it out of him what was wrong (usually something to do with leaving my shoes around the place or not closing the press doors in the kitchen). It was never serious but we had a few teething problems when we moved in together initially.

I think overall the best approach is to sit down and talk about it. That's generally what I try to do. I'd say to him, "Listen, if you tell me what bugs you, I'll do the same" and we get it out of our systems.

You should treat your partner like you would a friend - you wouldn't get away with nagging or carrying on in a passive-aggressive manner whenever there was something wrong with a friend. Respect is the key. You're not each others parents ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think that instead of "the quiet life", it's the case that there are many things that a woman has strong opinions on which the man simply couldn't give a toss about. I know for me that there are occasions when I'm expected to come up with a decision on things which are so insignificant it's not even worth firing up the brain to respond, much less think about it or form an opinion. So in that case, "whatever you think" is the thing to go along with.

"which curtains do you prefer? "
    " what font should we use for the invitations "
    " do you like these cushions? "
    The list is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If someone was carrying on that way, Corinthian, I'd end the relationship. It's not worth the heartache. Believe it or not, most women want the quiet life too. I couldn't imagine co-existing with a nag tbh.
    If only it was that simple. What if:
    • When you, as a man, met her she wasn't a nag and only become so, over time, after you married and had kids - so it's easy to say you'll leave such a person when you don't have anything to lose by doing so.
    • She doesn't nag all that often and/or down deep you know you kind of need someone to nag you because some guys do need a kick in the arse from time to time.
    • Who's perfect? She may nag, but if that's the only negative in an otherwise perfect relationship, then you can live with it.
    Actually when it comes to tidiness, my boyfriend would be more tidy than me on the whole.
    I just gave that as an example of 'neurotic' nagging.

If only it was that simple. What if:
    • When you, as a man, met her she wasn't a nag and only become so, over time, after you married and had kids - so it's easy to say you'll leave such a person when you don't have anything to lose by doing so.
    • She doesn't nag all that often and/or down deep you know you kind of need someone to nag you because some guys do need a kick in the arse from time to time.
    • Who's perfect? She may nag, but if that's the only negative in an otherwise perfect relationship, then you can live with it.

I just gave that as an example of 'neurotic' nagging.

• Kids obviously complicate things, of course but let's presume kids aren't in the equation. You're free to leave if she's nag.
    • If there's a need to "nag", then it isn't really nagging, is it? It's simply stating what needs to be said for the relationship to have a future ("You can't go out for pints every night of the week and we need to spend some time together", for example) Often this is discounted as nagging when it's really not; it's someone simply being open about how they feel to a person who doesn't want to admit they're wrong and who's not open to hearing it. I was referring to men dealing with a relentless nags who nag out of habit and for no good reason.
    • Who's perfect? No one. But someone to be in your ear 3 times a week over the most trivial stuff would be a deal breaker for me personally. I suppose it depends on the tolerance levels of the person in question but if you're willing to put up with it, then you can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

• Advertisement

Kids obviously complicate things, of course but let's presume kids aren't in the equation. You're free to leave if she's nag.
    Of course, but I was pointing out that it's not always so easy to leave the 'nag' - sometimes kids, a family home and so on are part of the equation.
    If there's a need to "nag", then it isn't really nagging, is it? It's simply stating what needs to be said for the relationship to have a future ("You can't go out for pints every night of the week and we need to spend some time together", for example) Often this is discounted as nagging when it's really not; it's someone simply being open about how they feel to a person who doesn't want to admit they're wrong and who's not open to hearing it. I was referring to men dealing with a relentless nags who nag out of habit and for no good reason.
    It's still nagging, although for good reason. As I said earlier, as an approach "nagging probably isn't the best way to deal with such a problem", but sometimes people almost involuntarily go for this option.
    Who's perfect? No one. But someone to be in your ear 3 times a week over the most trivial stuff would be a deal breaker for me personally. I suppose it depends on the tolerance levels of the person in question but if you're willing to put up with it, then you can't complain.
    Of course you can complain. Even if all else is perfect and your tolerance levels can deal with nagging you suddenly have to pretend to like it? And your only other option is to leave the person? Oh for life to be so black and white...

It's still nagging, although for good reason. As I said earlier, as an approach "nagging probably isn't the best way to deal with such a problem", but sometimes people almost involuntarily go for this option.

It's not nagging although the receiver might unfairly label it as such to take the heat off - Nagging has negative connotations and is often only a berb associated with women. Nagging in the case above is simply stating a problem in the relationship that needs to be fixed.

nag

1 [nag] Show IPA verb, nagged, nag·ging, noun
    verb (used with object) 1. to annoy by persistent faultfinding, complaints, or demands.

2. to keep in a state of troubled awareness or anxiety, as a recurrent pain or problem: She had certain misgivings that nagged her.

verb (used without object) 3. to find fault or complain in an irritating, wearisome, or relentless manner (often followed by at ): If they start nagging at each other, I'm going home.

4. to cause pain, discomfort, distress, depression, etc. (often followed by at ): This headache has been nagging at me all day.

Of course you can complain. Even if all else is perfect and your tolerance levels can deal with nagging you suddenly have to pretend to like it? And your only other option is to leave the person? Oh for life to be so black and white...

In a lot of cases it's often more black and white than people will care to admit. You can complain alright (no one is stopping you) but I won't feel sympathy for you. You're partly to blame for enabling it. Nagging (as in actual nagging going by the definition of nagging) would be a deal-breaker for ME personally. As I said, it depended on the tolerance levels of the person in question. Again you can complain but if the complaining was a regular occurance, I'd tell you to cop the fook on.

That's just me though.

Edit: When I say you, I'm talking in general terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

We gave them chivalry. As the old adage goes: Give her an inch and she'll take a mile! ;)

Nah, seriously, I think in evolutionary terms women are better equipped to organize, maintain and oversee. They can multitask better, are more organised and have more focus on the peripheries to the point that many are comfortable or even happy to take over the management of a house or social schedule. Personally, I hate doing that crap so I'm delighted to hand it all over!

I think this also makes women better program managers and office managers in the workplace. Guys are good at going after something with a specific target the and girls are good at managing multiple tasks and priorities.

All the above I'm basing on evolutionary basics, rather than stereotype. Of course there are great male office manners and great female salespeople, but on average I think each gender has preconditioned advantages at core, which thousands of years of evolution has decided for us.

I think it's easy to confuse who is wearing the pants with who is managing the specifics by choice. And just as easy to just stay out of the way if you are inclined to want the easy life and let someone else do the hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

I think it's down to individual personalities.

I've seen it go both ways and I don't think it's a male or female thing. it's just that you get one person with an over-dominant personality.

In most relationships, I think you generally get a bit of balance on most issues.

I think where you've one party being a walked all over, you've really got some problems brewing.

Young King Arthur was ambushed and imprisoned by the monarch of a neighboring kingdom. The monarch could have killed him but was moved by Arthur's youth and ideals. So, the monarch offered him his freedom, as long as he could answer a very difficult question. Arthur would have a year to figure out the answer and, if after a year, he still had no answer, he would be put to death.

The question?...What do women really want? Such a question would perplex even the most knowledgeable man, and to young Arthur, it seemed an impossible query. But, since it was better than death, he accepted the monarch's proposition to have an answer by year's end.
    He returned to his kingdom and began to poll everyone: the princess, the priests, the wise men and even the court jester. He spoke with everyone, but no one could give him a satisfactory answer.
    Many people advised him to consult the old witch, for only she would have the answer.
    But the price would be high; as the witch was famous throughout the kingdom for the exorbitant prices she charged.
    The last day of the year arrived and Arthur had no choice but to talk to the witch. She agreed to answer the question, but he would have to agree to her price first.
    The old witch wanted to marry Sir Lancelot, the most noble of the Knights of the Round Table and Arthur's closest friend!
    Young Arthur was horrified. She was hunchbacked and hideous, had only one tooth, smelled like sewage, made obscene noises, etc. He had never encountered such a repugnant creature in all his life.
    He refused to force his friend to marry her and endure such a terrible burden; but Lancelot, learning of the proposal, spoke with Arthur.
    He said nothing was too big of a sacrifice compared to Arthur's life and the preservation of the Round Table.
    Hence, a wedding was proclaimed and the witch answered Arthur's question thus:
    What a woman really wants, she answered....is to be in charge of her own life.
    Everyone in the kingdom instantly knew that the witch had uttered a great truth and that Arthur's life would be spared.
    And so it was, the neighboring monarch granted Arthur his freedom and Lancelot and the witch had a wonderful wedding.
    The honeymoon hour approached and Lancelot, steeling himself for a horrific experience, entered the bedroom. But, what a sight awaited him. The most beautiful woman he had ever seen lay before him on the bed. The astounded Lancelot asked what had happened
    The beauty replied that since he had been so kind to her when she appeared as a witch, she would henceforth, be her horrible deformed self only half the time and the beautiful maiden the other half.
    Which would he prefer? Beautiful during the day....or night?
    Lancelot pondered the predicament.
    During the day, a beautiful woman to show off to his friends, but at night, in the privacy of his castle, an old witch? Or, would he prefer having a hideous witch during the day, but by night, a beautiful woman for him to enjoy wondrous intimate moments?

What would YOU do?
    What Lancelot chose is below.
    BUT....make YOUR choice before you scroll down below.

Noble Lancelot said that he would allow HER to make the choice herself.

Upon hearing this, she announced that she would be beautiful all the time because he had respected her enough to let her be in charge of her own life

So...what is the moral to this story?

The moral is.....
    If you don't let a woman have her own way....

Things are going to get ugly

• Advertisement

It's not nagging although the receiver might unfairly label it as such to take the heat off - Nagging has negative connotations and is often only a berb associated with women.
    You do realize that the definitions you quoted contradict your claim that it's not nagging?
    In a lot of cases it's often more black and white than people will care to admit. You can complain alright (no one is stopping you) but I won't feel sympathy for you. You're partly to blame for enabling it. Nagging (as in actual nagging going by the definition of nagging) would be a deal-breaker for ME personally. As I said, it depended on the tolerance levels of the person in question. Again you can complain but if the complaining was a regular occurance, I'd tell you to cop the fook on.
    Sure, and in many cases you'd be right, but my point is that you can't say that in all cases. It's not always black and white - we can't always "presume kids aren't in the equation", for example.
    Nah, seriously, I think in evolutionary terms women are better equipped to organize, maintain and oversee.
    I don't even know where to start with all these sweeping generalizations, so I won't.

You do realize that the definitions you quoted contradict your claim that it's not nagging?.

I think the word "persistant" and "fault finding" it what negates what you've said. It doesn't define nagging as a person with a genuine gripe stating their feelings now and then. Obviously "nagging" is subjective so we could be here all day but you and I both know what it really means.

Sure, and in many cases you'd be right, but my point is that you can't say that in all cases. It's not always black and white - we can't always "presume kids aren't in the equation", for example.

No we can't indeed. And relationships aren't always black and white and I already acknowledged that other factors like kids complicate things but a lot of the time it's just a man and a woman and the man being treated like a doormat without standing up for themselves but complaining constantly to mates who are fed up hearing it and those are the ones I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

But you've also got men who won't make a definitive decision about anything knowing the girlfriend will. That's infuriating. Even thing like deciding where to go to have a drink - "I don't mind". Yeah that's cool but a decision, no matter how small, has to be made or we'll be stuck walking the streets the whole night. Sheer laziness.

"I don't mind" syndrome is something I've noticed a lot amongst my peer group (early 20s). Lack of drive and general decision making at times. I've been guilty of it myself but it is something I'm consciously trying to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Nags are infantilising castrators.

If deep down you feel the need to be nagged, you are still five years old. Adults don't need or want to be nagged.

This is so sadly recognisable.

Why does this happen so much?

I saw a woman cutting her husbands dinner for him in a restaurant. What the hell?

I agree with you legs 11it would be the end for me too. Kids or no kids, even if no formal break up, the relationship would be over because it would be a parent child one not and adult one. I couldn't deal with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

A womans tear is worse than a thousand lashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

This is hard, because there has always been submissive men in relationships. The problem men have is that you have feminism when years ago there weren't as many feminists that wanted to be freed of their household responsibilities. Which I suppose is good, but you get a lot of women trying to push their luck and misconstruing what real feminism is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

A few observations:

- I have noticed the phenomenon you're talking about, OP, where the woman takes the lead but I've also noticed that the men are happy as pig in shyte to take that role generally speaking. The woman takes charge with all the organisational stuff and he just goes along with it. Personally I'd hate to be a woman like that or a fella like that but if they're happy....

- I've come across genuine naggy women in my life but again they've been enabled to carry on that way by the boyfriend remaining passive. Not justifying her behaviour but often with these kinds of relationships you're going to find a certain kind of man. It's up to you whether you want to remain in a relationship or not and obviously they do. Perhaps all the good stuff balances it out.

- I find men as they get older are happier than women to give up their friends and social life. That's why men are often more isolated and lacking friends as they get much older. I see it with my dad and my step-mam. She has a massive group of friends whereas he's got one or two good mates but is happy to spend most of time either with her or alone. My own boyfriend is the same. He's 10 years older than me (43) and since meeting me, he's become less social. I'm the one who has try and convince him to get off his hole (in the nicest possible way) and meet his friends or else he'll lose them.

I find often men use the woman as an excuse for not going out when it often comes down to them preferring to stay in themselves. I hate that. I hate the idea that a man portrays a woman as a nag and has him under his thumb because the stereotype about women exists so people believe it. Horrible way to portray your girlfriend when it isn't the case at all (this isn't my situation but an observation of other couples).

-I've noticed the phenomenon too of couples in a group where the girl gets stonky and wants to go home. I personally wouldn't take that from anyone and I can never understand why the man does. Uncomfortable for everyone involved including the friends.

- Overall though, most couples I know have the balance. I most definitely have that in my own and couldn't stand it any other way. I'm not the dominant type but I'm not a walk-over either and he'd be the very same. Most, if not all, of my friends are the same.

I do see the couples you're referring to, OP but I wouldn't presume they're not happy. As you said yourself, you've no idea what's going on between two people and we only get to see a fraction of their time together when they socialise and even then they're probably not being how they'd normally be. Women are all too often portrayed as nags in the media etc which I hate and it's often not justified in the slightest - people with no back bone pulling out the stereotypes. Many women often become that in a relationship and it's horrible to see but often men become passive and child-like in relationships allowing this to happen and letting the woman sort out his mess (metaphorically and literally) Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

I will say though: don't take your friends' word for it when they say their girlfriend won't allow them to do something - often it's just an excuse.

Excellent post, thanks for your contributions Legs.Eleven. In many ways you actually articulated many of the points I wanted to make much better than I did myself, especially looking at the situation from a female perspective on how men act within a relationship. As a heterosexual man myself, this is something I'll never be fully privy to. I wouldn't say I agree with you 100 percent in everything you say, but you certainly provide many moments of clarity, where I found myself thinking 'Yes, that's exactly how I would have put it.' :)

I think from a young age, many men just feel it's much easier to let the woman organise everything for them, especially if they're fairly laid back anyway. The big problem is, as you mention, is that they retreat into a juvenile-like state once more and let the woman decide pretty much everything that is to do with the couple. I have even seen girlfriends ordering for their significant other in restaurants and when I say this I don't just mean order what the guy normally chooses, rather order what she thinks he should have. He reverts back to an infant-like state of mind and she acts out the role of his mother. As you say, I cannot really begin to see the attraction, but there you go.

The greater question I suppose in this case is why do such relationships last? I mean clearly the man doesn't mind this, but what about the woman? We all are led to believe that females are attracted to strong, masculine, independent, virile men, but someone in the above example would be the antithesis of this image. I suppose it goes to show you cannot rely on stereotypes, unless the woman herself is lacking in options, which is where the frustration may come from with the man being overly passive.

Your point about a couple leaving abruptly being stressful for the friends is also accurate. In these scenarios, there always seems to be a few minutes after the couple have departed where there is a clear tangible sense of 'was that down to us?' and everyone remains quieter than normal during this time.

However, what most resonated with me was how you said that men drop their friends when they get older and are in a relationship. With my female friends, within reason, if I give them enough notice, even the ones with children, will come out on a regular basis - usually dragging their husband/bf along with them. My male friends on the other hand (and bear in mind I am 31 so bit younger than your boyfriend), have for a good while now left it up to me to arrange all our social meet ups. In fairness, most of them don't decline when I offer, but when it is constantly you making all the running it can get a bit tiring/frustrating. This is especially pertinent when you decide not to contact anyone for once and woefully watch the minutes tick by knowing that an invitation for that night is not going to be forthcoming any time soon. One can observe a clear change in their thinking, where the other half not just comes ahead of the friends, but is essentially their only social outlet. Now I have mentioned that I worryingly enough have seen elements of this happening to me as well in relationships, so perhaps I am a little bit of a hypocrite, but it really shocks me how much these people change from the social animals they were in their early twenties. Like you, I also see this in my parents, my mother has a solid group of 20 or so friends whom she sees at least once a week, my father, although having quite a lot of friends, would only tend to see them every six months or a year.

There must be something biological behind it, ie when a man has a mate, all his attention and resources are focused towards her and the friends are left behind. One good friend in particular, he recently broke up with his girlfriend after a seven year relationship, where I hardly saw him at all during this time. Merely a few days later he was on to me about when we should meet up and so on. This leaves me very ambivalent, on the one hand I am glad to see him, but you start thinking, well am I just his Plan B?

I will try to remember what you said also about the girlfriend being used as an excuse! This is a shame, because it gives the girls a bad name, plus it leads others to think the man is being dominated in the relationship which may (as I see from many of the replies here) not actually be the case.

Some women nag. Some men nag (I presume). Some don't. Some do a lot. Some do only a little. Some have good reason. Some do so out of neurosis.

If a guy is going out drinking and coming home late half-cut five nights a week, then his wife or partner probably has good cause to nag. She's concerned about his health, and about how this will effect their relationship or family and out of frustration turns to nagging as a means to deal with the problem.

Of course, nagging probably isn't the best way to deal with such a problem, there are more effective and diplomatic approaches, but when people are frustrated they'll often turn to the approach that seems most direct and/or allows them to unload their frustrations.

On the other hand, consider a couple that share housework. She feels that the bathroom should be cleaned, top to bottom, every day. He feels that once a week is more than sufficient. Nagging is far less justifiable in such a situation as cleaning the bathroom, top to bottom, every day is an exaggeration to most people and so the nagging becomes one person's attempt to bully the other into accepting their standards, without compromise.

The passive approach to nagging by men is just one of those things that has evolved over the millennia (read some Roman plays) to deal with being in a relationship with someone who uses this for problem resolution. There are rational reasons for this strategy, even though I agree it is not an ideal approach - any more so than nagging is in the first place. For example:

There's no point reasoning. With women who are 'naggers' there is generally absolutely no point in trying to reason with them. As with the above example, the woman in question will never accept that cleaning the bathroom, top to bottom, every day is an exaggeration; so attempting to reason with her will ultimately get you nowhere - she'll just become more entrenched in her view and the row will escalate.

Nagging episodes are temporary. A man will get chewed out of it, nagged, shouted at, whatever. If he rides it out, she'll get it out of her system and things will go back to normal. Then he can just do whatever he likes anyway.

Beware escalation. Stay silent and the nagging will just stay at that level and pass. Object, attempt a counter argument or argue back and the nagging will become a full-fledged row. Stick to your guns and it'll continue escalating; to what level depends upon the woman in question, but all I'll say from experience is do not have such a row in a kitchen - way too dangerous.

Ultimately, men do want a quiet life. We already have stress issues to deal with without inviting more. Standing up for yourself will simply be rewarded with a heart attack or stroke before you're fifty.

Pick your fights. If you fight back too often, then - other than ending up in a relationship where you have screaming rows three times a week - she'll become desensitized to your opposition. If you pick your fights, then she'll be more likely to back down when she realizes that a topic is important to you enough that you're ready to escalate the disagreement and this will more likely back down in some face-saving manner designed not to make her look as if she's backing down.

I've used the 'passive' approach in the past, as well as a more communicative one - it really depends on the woman I'm with and ideally the latter is better. Of course, you can't always control the one's you fall in love with.

Interesting post, TC, especially the bit about picking your fights. I would generally abhor nagging, especially when it appears to be nagging for the sake of it and would often lose my temper at any little thing I saw to be out of order or pedantic.

Maybe using your guide I can save myself some stress further down the line!

cson wrote: »
    "I don't mind" syndrome is something I've noticed a lot amongst my peer group (early 20s). Lack of drive and general decision making at times. I've been guilty of it myself but it is something I'm consciously trying to improve.
    I've noticed it in college big-time since I went back, the women always end up being "in charge" of group assignments. The simple fact is that if one tries to argue with a woman there's no way to win if she cares enough.

• Advertisement

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    One good friend in particular, he recently broke up with his girlfriend after a seven year relationship, where I hardly saw him at all during this time. Merely a few days later he was on to me about when we should meet up and so on. This leaves me very ambivalent, on the one hand I am glad to see him, but you start thinking, well am I just his Plan B?

I've come across this situation too and find it particularly grating tbh.

I remember when I first started going out with a girl one of my mates said to me "The boys will always be the boys, but she mightn't always be your girlfriend" - have to say it was a pretty solid sentiment from a then 17 yr old that rings true today.

Veering back on topic; to answer you're thread title OP, I'd say people get comfortable and generally become afraid of change, afraid of the void they'd have to fill thus defer to whatever their OH wants.

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Interesting post, TC, especially the bit about picking your fights. I would generally abhor nagging, especially when it appears to be nagging for the sake of it and would often lose my temper at any little thing I saw to be out of order or pedantic.

Maybe using your guide I can save myself some stress further down the line!

The picking your fights thing resonates with me too; I can count on one hand the amount of times my Dad has lost the plot in the house over the course of my life whereas I'd need significantly more hands to count the times my Mam has. Guess which one has more effect and makes you sit up and take notice :pac:

I remember when I first started going out with a girl one of my mates said to me "The boys will always be the boys, but she mightn't always be your girlfriend" - have to say it was a pretty solid sentiment from a then 17 yr old that rings true today.

Veering back on topic; to answer you're thread title OP, I'd say people get comfortable and generally become afraid of change, afraid of the void they'd have to fill thus defer to whatever their OH wants.

Yeah it's quite a telling statement, I must remember it for some of my friends. Who says wisdom is lost on the young?;)

Coming to your second point, certainly in the case of many of my male friends this is a huge issue. A lot of them would be very laid-back, one-women men. This means that they messed around a little bit in their youth, but once they got a steady girlfriend, then they held on to them for dear life. (Well not quite but you see what I mean). Cleary if you have only ever had one proper relationship for your whole adult life, there are significant insecurity issues at stake when the thought of a possible break-up becomes a possiblity, which means you'll quite feasibly do everything you can to avoid this becoming reality, including being too much of a pushover.

The dating game can be seriously daunting for some, especially in a world where men are the ones expected to call the shots and do the chasing as a general rule. If you're a little shy as a man, it can be extremely tempting to stay in a relationship and use this as a comfort blanket. This can often mean, instead of sticking up for your principles, you'll tend to agree with what the woman says, often to the detriment of your own self-esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭worded

I wear the trousers and she knows her place. I would like to write a longer post but I have to go now as she says Ive been on the internet too long. Will post more tomorrow if I'm allowed.

worded wrote: »
    I wear the trousers and she knows her place. I would like to write a longer post but I have to go now as she says Ive been on the internet too long. Will post more tomorrow if I'm allowed.

That hardly sounds like you're wearing the trousers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

I was that guy like you cson, totally lost myself in the relationship, young and all as i was, completely lost touch with the lads which made the break up very hard to deal with alone.

Lesson learned anyway, I'd advise anyone to always have a life, friends, other things going on separate from the relationship and not just work.Good friends are always going to be there but you won't get them back if you cut them out of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is what happens:
    Cson: "What pub will we go to?"
    Everyone: "I don't mind"
    Cson: "How about Davie Byrnes?"
    Everyone goes to Davie Byrnes
    After the first pint:
    Everyone: "this is shít, the music is shíte, it's full of blokes and my beer tastes funny. Cson is some tool for bringing us here"
    You hear about it every weekend till you're 40 and you never get to suggest anywhere again

I've noticed something strange about the landlord's cats, the ginger one, male, ever since being neutered, has been a soft push for the female cat when it comes to feeding time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Lelantos wrote: »
    Its called: Wanting a quiet life :)

Exactly. Let her win the battles that she think is important. Wear her down on the others until you reach a point you can accept.
    As long as she doesn't impact on the beer money and betting money leave her think she is getting her way.
    Personally I don't give a ****e what colour the walls are painted as long as the T.V. works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭fits

PingO_O wrote: »

Lesson learned anyway, I'd advise anyone to always have a life, friends, other things going on separate from the relationship and not just work.Good friends are always going to be there but you won't get them back if you cut them out of your life.

Not just for yourself but its good for the relationship too. Having your own life is attractive and keeps spice in the relationship I think.

Anyway, interesting thread.

Advertisement