Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is pre-ordering PS4/Xbox One for Launch Day?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Lordy, dem poll results.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

People are just going with the hype. Sony always win on that one, MS are more about the marathon, not a sprint attitude, and they well caught up last time out.

It's nothing to do with that. It's the fact that MS are shooting themselves in the foot left, right and centre ever since the XBO was shown in May.

Sony were right on track since February and have not put a foot wrong.

What do you mean MS well caught up last time. Last time MS hit the ground running with the 360 and Sony caught them in the end. MS sprinted last time and won that part, but Sony won the marathon with PSN+ and the late exclusives like the Last of us and Beyond. MS ran out of steam and started pushing Kinect.

I put a deposit on a ps4 yesterday, Microsoft have nothing I'm interested in, never mind all the drm crap they are pushing.

People are just going with the hype. Sony always win on that one, MS are more about the marathon, not a sprint attitude, and they well caught up last time out.

To be fair that's the exact opposite of what happened with the PS3. It released a full year after the 360 at a suicidally high price. It also had quite a limited launch lineup. But over the years it slowly chipped away and chipped away at the lead the Xbox360 had built up to the point that worldwide console sales are apparently quite even now. So it was all about the marathon really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

danthefan wrote: »
    worldwide console sales are apparently quite even now. So it was all about the marathon really.

Total PS3 worldwide lifetime sales finally exceed the 360's this year. Currently total lifetime sales this gen as it stands are 1:Wii, 2:PS3 and 3:360. Up till then 360 was ahead of the PS3 everywhere except Japan where the 360 is a flop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I won't be getting either on launch, I never buy anything on launch. Probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Still haven't fully decided which one to get but I'm about 90% sure it'll end up being the PS4 even though I currently own a 360. I usually give it a year to see if there is any problems or bugs with the console and build up a good library of games.

PS3 worldwide lifetime sales finally exceed the 360's this year. Currently total lifetime sales this gen as it stands are 1:Wii, 2:PS3 and 3:360. Up till then 360 was ahead of the PS3 everywhere except Japan where the 360 is a flop.

I saw that, and I also saw some fairly detailed explanations of why it's possibly not the case, so I just don't really know what to believe. Even if PS3 has marginally overtaken the 360 I think there'd be such a small disparity that you could call it a tie.

pa4 wrote: »
    I won't be getting either on launch, I never buy anything on launch. Probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Still haven't fully decided which one to get but I'm about 90% sure it'll end up being the PS4 even though I currently own a 360. I usually give it a year to see if there is any problems or bugs with the console and build up a good library of games.

Considering neither has backwards compatibility it's as good a time as any to switch from MS to Sony (or vice-versa). Also if there were any PS3 games you were ever interested in there's a possibility they'll appear on PS4 at some point through Sony's streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

One more thing why I would go for ps4 and it is not mentioned at all is stream play on vita. I will have my ps4 in man cave and vita will be fierce handy in bedroom. How cool it will be to be a le to play bf4 multiplayer on vita while misses watches her crap on TV.

One thing that worries me. They did not showed it in action on e3... I hope its not going to be like promises PS vita and ps3 streaming.

One more thing why I would go for ps4 and it is not mentioned at all is stream play on vita. I will have my ps4 in man cave and vita will be fierce handy in bedroom. How cool it will be to be a le to play bf4 multiplayer on vita while misses watches her crap on TV.

One thing that worries me. They did not showed it in action on e3... I hope its not going to be like promises PS vita and ps3 streaming.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-mandates-vita-remote-play-for-ps4-games

They've apparently put hardware in the PS4 specifically for streaming to Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Getting it on first day, but not gonna open it until Christmas day.

Im gonna be like a child for the weeks before christmas, not sleeping, asking mammy how many days til i can have it etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

They've also made it a requirement for all developers to enable it in their games.
    Apparently its easy to do so its not a burden for developers.
    This excludes games that use PS4 Camera though.

Nope, definitely not getting it on Launch day. My 360 is still working fine and probably won't get any of the next gen consoles until I can either afford to, or my console breaks, forcing me to. But I do think I'm moving to the PS4, just because there's so so many things about the Xbox-One that I dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

All the consoles this gen look like muck if I'm totally honest. The games are very underwhelming and most are just gimmicky graphics showcases/flogged to death franchises. There is far too much of an emphasis on social networking and "sharing", especially on the Xbox One. The only game that has piqued my interest so far is Star Wars Battlefront and I'm guessing that will be out on PC also.

So unless Sony/MS come to my door and offer me roses and chocolate, I won't be buying their cruddy products this generation.

If I was buying a console, however, I would steer clear of launch day like the plague. I'd wait at least a couple of months before I even contemplate buying anything.

Last gen (this gen?) I had a 360. The previous two gens I stuck with Sony. So you could say that I have consoles in my blood. But PC is just so much better. Mount and Blade 2 alone interests me far more than any of the currently announced crap for the Xbox or PS4.

Plus, none of my friends seem to be interested in the consoles for the time being so I'm not either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Will wait and see, very much undecided as the last console I had was a ps2, I game entirely on PC but have an itch to get a console next gen

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I won't be buying either on launch, my 360 is grand for now, but I will be switching back to the playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

All i know right now IF i do get one it will be a PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

KilOit wrote: »
    Will wait and see, very much undecided as the last console I had was a ps2, I game entirely on PC but have an itch to get a console next gen

It's not vital for me too, I am just very weak when it comes to New gadgets and gaming equipment :). Pc will still get all of the attention, but ps4 exclusives and some console/ps vita stream will come. In fierce handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some of the PS4 exclusives look interesting. But I really can't justify dropping 400 quid just to play a few games when I already have a perfectly good gaming PC. If I had the cash id probably get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Still in a tizzy. Leaning towards XBone as I have no interest in the PS4 exclusives. I think there were maybe 2 games on the PS3 i was interested in. The inherent drawbacks of the XBone are null and void as they don't affect me at all. Trading in games is the only thing that has me humming and hawing.

However, my usual online buddies are mostly leaning towards the PS4, so if I want to continue playing with them, I'd either have to get both, or just go with a PS4.

Still leaning towards the XBone though. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

As someone who is not a big gamer but does at times to pass away time I need help to see which would be a better buy. I currently have an xbox 360 i found it very good for what i wanted "pass away a few hours". but from what i have heard on trading games the new xbox wont be that good for it. so if i was to buy ps4 or xbox one which would be the better keeping in mind just want something that will be worthwhile as im not a big gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

beco2010 wrote: »
    As someone who is not a big gamer but does at times to pass away time I need help to see which would be a better buy. I currently have an xbox 360 i found it very good for what i wanted "pass away a few hours". but from what i have heard on trading games the new xbox wont be that good for it. so if i was to buy ps4 or xbox one which would be the better keeping in mind just want something that will be worthwhile as im not a big gamer

Well what do you generally do on your xbox when you are passing away those few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

I'll probably get the PS4 but not on launch day.
    I waited about 18 months after launch to get my 360 and PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

maximoose wrote: »
    Well what do you generally do on your xbox when you are passing away those few hours?

well I generally just game on the net BF3. I do like to finish games for there story also but extras like the socail side facebook ect, dont use it nor with the new xbox being part of the TV wouldn't bother me to have or not.

rely i would just be wondering which would be a better investment for gaming on the net and graphics. I wouldnt buy a PC as im not that big of a gamer maybe 3 to 4 hours a week if even.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

maximoose wrote: »
    Don't you mean a 180 :)

The fcuk was I on yesterday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29,677 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The fcuk was I on yesterday lol

Don't worry man, I pictured it as the cool 360

0sgmnev.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lazymanschair

I was inquiring about the consoles yesterday, and for those interested the early pre-orders for xboxone include the "day one" logo on the controller and an achievement. I know this isnt going to sway many if any, but there are a few hardcore achievement hunters out there, thought it was interesting. I'd like to know if either UPC or SKY will play ball with any of the tv functionality for the xbox, Im presume not straight away but it would be nice to know to help with my decision. Im swaying toward the PS4, due to my Vita having remote play mandated for most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Historically, I've been more in to MS consoles than Sony ones, though from what we know so far about next gen, the best games are multiplatform, and the PS4 is cheaper, so... yeah...

Your mileage may vary, for instance if you are in to driving games, Forza 5 might be enough to justify the system to you, but to me, I'll need to see more in terms of exclusives to make me want to get the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've never preordered a console. Is there any need?

Got Ps1, 2 & 3 pretty early - maybe the week of the launch. Don't see there being any shortage and I've months of games to catch up on in any event.

Voted PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've never preordered a console. Is there any need?

Got Ps1, 2 & 3 pretty early - maybe the week of the launch. Don't see there being any shortage and I've months of games to catch up on in any event.

Voted PS4

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Sony have already said that they don't think they will be able to meet demands at launch. Pre-order it if you want to guarantee getting it the first week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Don't get caught up in the frenzy of a shiny new console at launch. €400-€500 will buy you a lot of new/second hand games. I guarantee you there is enough of a back catalogue on your current console to keep you going, as well as new titles like GTAV and Watch Dogs on the way. It is nice to jump on a new console early on but if you're not a big gamer spend your money on something else.

Advertisement