Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea Surface Temperature

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

After sunny weather, like what we have had in the last few days I always check to see what the sea surface temperatures are like around Ireland. And what place might be best to take a dip!
    In the image below you can see that clew bay seems to have warmed up quite a bit already at the surface. This isn't surprising since mayo was the warmest place over the last few days and clew bay is shallow.

256974.GIF

But how accurate would this data be? Its always interesting to watch the colours change rapidly after a few days of good sunshine.

Link to site: http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd not be in any rush! The prolonged wintery temps means the sea is cooler than usual and of course it not at its warmest (least cold) until September anyway.

There were a couple of people that had to be rescued near cliffs in Tramore last week due to cramps caused by cold water. I'd give it another month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Try going to a river or lake. They warm up faster in sunny weather than the sea. The water should be nice to swim in at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

went swimming in rosses point today and sea was over 14c id say due to warm sand being gushed over by inrushing tide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

The effect of the water running over the warm sand makes a huge difference. I swam in Old head, in clew bay last weekend. It was quite calm & warm, probably 14c too.
    Then I swam in the open sea at carrownisky outside clew bay, it was freezing in comparison. Now it was windier there too so that makes a difference when you get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Looking for a real good North Atlantic surface sea temperature animation map that goes back to 1996 to presant day?

Anyone?

Advertisement